Toy Story Mania, is it really all that?

It is different/better than the Buzz ride at MK. BUT, I personally don't think it's worth waiting 90+ minutes for. It is one of the only rides at DHS geared towards little ones/non-thrill seekers, which I think increases it's popularity more than if it were at another park. The lines for TSMM are not nearly as long in California Adventure.

Is Toy Story Mania really all that? Is it pretty much the same as that Buzz ride in the Magic Kingdom?
I don't know if I think it is the greatest ride ever, but my 7 year old son would strongly disagree. If you are an adult, then doing it one time might suffice. Not so, at least for my son.

The space shooter ride in MK is kind of an antiquated version of the same idea. In TSM, it is definitely a shooting game, but with changing scenes, characters, and you can actually see what you are shooting. For example, one of them is a dart throwing game and when you pull a cord, a digital dart flies out towards the screen and the 3-d glasses make it look like it really came out. It is pretty cool to see, and one ride that we never miss. Happily, with FP+, we never have to miss it!

Just my two cents.

We would not wait over 30 minutes for it (or any ride, for that matter) but we DO make sure we get to DHS for rope drop and rush to this ride first. It's one of our favorites - very well themed, and a lot more fun than Buzz.

Lol, I've been to DHS a few times since this ride opened, was never able to get on it (outrageous wait time) - will finally get my chance next weekend - have a fastpast +!!!! :-)

We had a fp+ for it in the afternoon, but decided to go right at rope drop and line up for it in hopes of doing it twice on our only DHS day, and I'm SO glad we did. We didn't wait as long as we would have without a fp+ in the afternoon, maybe 25 minutes I would guess which isn't too bad, but the ride went down RIGHT as we walked up later that afternoon for time #2 to use our fp+ and we were out of luck. So at least we got to ride it once, and it kept us giggling and it was a really fun experience for me and my dd, better than Buzz, IMO. But I am not sure I would wait 90 minutes for it.

TSMM is my husband's favorite ride in all of WDW. I enjoy it, too. It is a much easier "game" ride than Buzz Lightyear because you can actually see where you are aiming when you are doing the different games throughout the ride.

as PP have said, its a shooting game like Buzz but that where the same ness ends

TSM
you wear 3D glasses and shoot at screens
stuff comes flying at you with the 3d effects
the "guns" are not trigger operated, they are pully operated, hard to explain, you tug on a rope to shoot
the cars are 4 people cars , 2 people side by side, back to back with 2 people side by side, you are in competition with your car mates for highest score
You can't spin your car, it spins automatically as you move through the ride

It's similar to Buzz, and we had fun, but I would not wait a long time to get on it. We used FP+, but we also do not ride ToT or RnR, so this was a good use for our FP+. We are older adults, no kids.

It was pretty dang fun the first time I went on it, only waited about 30 mins though. Not sure I'd waste anymore than an hour.

For those that need their fix, they did make a Wii and PS3 game based exactly on the attraction.

I love love love TSMM, but only when I have someone to ride it with and compete against... I used to really enjoy Buzz Lightyear, but I think after experiencing TSMM, Buzz's ride falls short and it feels outdated in comparison. I think TSMM is much easier to control and see what you are actually shooting at.
I consider it 'must-ride' in the park and I'd wait up to an hour in line.

I think it has the same feel as Buzz in that it's shooting at targets and such, but it is much more sleek in its design. We did it once with a FP and still had a bit of a wait, although it had just opened recently and standby times were outrageous. I liked it, but I wouldn't wait more than 20-30 minutes for it, tops. I hate to sound like a sore loser but I found it really frustrating since I don't have the quickest reaction times, and I got my tushie kicked pretty bad by my boyfriend (who thankfully only bragged about it a little)! I find Buzz more enjoyable just because I have an easier time with the targets and am not being whipped around in the vehicle. When my boyfriend/friends start to beat me I take the joystick hostage and just keep spinning us!

I would recommend you try to FP it or monitor the lines until they are not as crazy in length. It was definitely really cute, just not something that I'm sad if I miss.

Before we went in 2011 I was so stressed out hearing about all the hype. I called my friend who had kids the same ages as mine to ask her if it was really that great. I was hoping she said it was lame and that we could totally miss it without feeling as though we were missing something. I wanted permission not to fixate on it. ;) She could do no such thing. She said my kids would go bonkers over it. I pushed it to the top of my list and we scored three rides on it that morning with rope drop/FP- strategies. My kids LOVED it. Now it is a do not miss.

We enjoy it. Problem is we want to ride it ten times in a row not once lol.

I would never wait more than 20 minutes for it though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter