Toy Story Mania Accessible Vehicles

They usually have 2 sets of vehicles loading at the accessible spot. The first set is a wheelchair accessible vehicle and a regular vehicle. In this case the wheelchair user and 1 other ride in the first vehicle and up to 4 people ride in the second. The second set of vehicles is 2 normal ride vehicle. This set up holds up to 8 people but no wheelchairs.

I would recommend transferring if at all possible, only because the wait can be VERY long for the one wheelchair accessible car. Depending on how many people are waiting, my parents and sister have waited at least an hour for that one car AFTER they reached the split. Glad they have the wheelchair car, but they sure could use more than one of them!

Each vehicle at Toy Story Mania is actually 2 ride cars in what I would describe as a pod. Those 2 ride cars in that pod are connected together and can't be separated. In a non-accessible pod, both ride cars are the same and have 2 bench seats back to back. Each ride car has 4 guns and can hold 4 (more if there are children and someone doesn't want to play the games). So, an entire non-accessible ride pod can normally hold 8 guests.

In the accessible pod, the back ride car of the pod is a regular 4 seat ride car with 2 benches back to back. That ride car is not wheelchair accessible, but someone who is able to transfer can transfer in and leave their mobility device at the accessible boarding area.
The front ride car of the accessible pod has only one bench seat that can seat 2 guests. The back of that ride car opens up and a ramp folds down to remove 1/2 of the bench so that a wheelchair can be rolled up the ramp and fastened in the place where the bench was removed.
The accessible pod can carry 6 guests - 4 in the 2nd car and 2 in the front car (either 2 guests sitting on benches or one guest on a bench and one in a wheelchair.

This picture shows the accessible pod with the ramp down for a guest using a wheelchair. The front seat of the other ride car that is part of that pod is visible behind the CM
PA150449.JPG

If there are a lot of scooters/wheelchairs in the accessible queue, they will bring ordinary pods in for people who can transfer. You have to wait for anywhere from 6 to 10 ordinary pods to bypass the side section before they'll change the points and bring one in for you.

However, if there are two families with transferrable passengers, they will not load both pods but only the first one. That really annoyed me last year because we had to wait over 40 minutes to get on because there was a large party of elderly people ahead of us, all in wheelchairs but all of whom transferred, and they could easily have filled both pods but chose not to. Someone suggested they can't fill both as a Health & Safety thing.

What surprised - and pleased - us was what after our first ride there was no-one waiting in the accessible queue so they asked us if we'd like to stay on! Would we ever!! Well, it would only have gone round empty otherwise, so why not!

This year we saw the actual wheelchair pod twice, and rode in it ourselves the final time we rode. The wheelchair pod, as well as having the pull-back knob for firing also has a button in the top of the gun for people who can't physically pull the string. I used a bit of both - and got the best score of the hour!

If there are a lot of scooters/wheelchairs in the accessible queue, they will bring ordinary pods in for people who can transfer. You have to wait for anywhere from 6 to 10 ordinary pods to bypass the side section before they'll change the points and bring one in for you.

However, if there are two families with transferrable passengers, they will not load both pods but only the first one. That really annoyed me last year because we had to wait over 40 minutes to get on because there was a large party of elderly people ahead of us, all in wheelchairs but all of whom transferred, and they could easily have filled both pods but chose not to. Someone suggested they can't fill both as a Health & Safety thing.

What surprised - and pleased - us was what after our first ride there was no-one waiting in the accessible queue so they asked us if we'd like to stay on! Would we ever!! Well, it would only have gone round empty otherwise, so why not!

This year we saw the actual wheelchair pod twice, and rode in it ourselves the final time we rode. The wheelchair pod, as well as having the pull-back knob for firing also has a button in the top of the gun for people who can't physically pull the string. I used a bit of both - and got the best score of the hour!
Regarding the bolded - my daughter can't transfer and uses the wheelchair car.
So, we have been waiting a lot waiting for that car over the years. Many times, my DH and daughter are in the wheelchair car, I am in the front row of the other car in the pod and someone else who transferred is in the back row of my car. They have asked every time we've ridden if there is a party of 2 to ride with us. Sometimes there isn't, do the back row is left empty.
We have also seen them load a party of 6 (or 8 if they called a 'regular' car into the area) where 2 or even 3 transferred from mobility devices.

I think the biggest issue is party size - since the accessible pod only seats a total of 6, they can have a party of 1 or 2 plus a party of 4; a party of 3 with a party of 2; a party of 5 or a party of 6. So, if they can't 'match up' parties, the second car might stay empty.
Not having the right size parties would be the biggest reason they would not fill the second car in the pod.

We've been told in the past that they are supposed to use only the accessible ride car at that boarding area. But, they are allowed to call one regular pod into the area for each time that they need to transition the accessible car to board a wheelchair.
There are also some guidelines regarding calling a regular car depending on the number of guests waiting who are able to transfer.

That's the same configuration that they have in DCA. 2 riders in the front half and 4 riders back to back in the back.

777551871850f9ba1427665285.jpg This is a picture of my daughter being loaded. DDs nurse and I were loaded into the car just behind the wheelchair car.

Had to take it out of quotes so the whole post can be read: my responses are in red:

Regarding the bolded - my daughter can't transfer and uses the wheelchair car.
So, we have been waiting a lot waiting for that car over the years. Many times, my DH and daughter are in the wheelchair car, I am in the front row of the other car in the pod and someone else who transferred is in the back row of my car. They have asked every time we've ridden if there is a party of 2 to ride with us. Sometimes there isn't, do the back row is left empty.
We have also seen them load a party of 6 (or 8 if they called a 'regular' car into the area) where 2 or even 3 transferred from mobility devices.
But this is my point - I've seen the opposite, sadly. Someone on a previous thread suggested it was because they can't have 2 or 3 infirm elderly people and/or wheelchair users in one two-pod car. Hey, for all we know, it goes into the loading area and they fill up the remaining empty rows there ...

I think the biggest issue is party size - since the accessible pod only seats a total of 6, they can have a party of 1 or 2 plus a party of 4; a party of 3 with a party of 2; a party of 5 or a party of 6. So, if they can't 'match up' parties, the second car might stay empty.
Not having the right size parties would be the biggest reason they would not fill the second car in the pod.
Well, you'd think so, but the number of times they've let it go out empty when there was a party of 2 or 3 just in front of us, or even the 3 of us could easily have gone on. It all serves to reduce the waiting time.

We've been told in the past that they are supposed to use only the accessible ride car at that boarding area. But, they are allowed to call one regular pod into the area for each time that they need to transition the accessible car to board a wheelchair.
There are also some guidelines regarding calling a regular car depending on the number of guests waiting who are able to transfer.
They do need to do this if there are loads of scooters waiting, as otherwise people would be waiting for such an incredibly long time. As it is we waited over 30 minutes because we timed it wrong and came in after a large party of wheelchairs - all of whom transferred, as I said.

One time when I was with my mom who was transfering we had to wait on a ride because they would only let a certain number of transfers on the ride at a time. They said it was if the ride broke down and had to evacuate they can't have too many people that would have to tranfer back to chairs.

Since my mom can walk short distances especially if she can go slowly (and if she had to in an emergency could do it faster she would just hurt after) we started walking on shorter lines after that and leaving the wheelchair outside so she wouldn't be counted as a transfer.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but just a question at TSM. This is the first chance I've seen photo's of the wheelchair accessible ride car. When we go next year, my mom will be with us and she cannot transfer to a manual wheelchair. The accessible ride car looks to be big enough to accommodate her personal scooter. Would she be able to ride?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but just a question at TSM. This is the first chance I've seen photo's of the wheelchair accessible ride car. When we go next year, my mom will be with us and she cannot transfer to a manual wheelchair. The accessible ride car looks to be big enough to accommodate her personal scooter. Would she be able to ride?

Ooh, no, they have to put the back on. It wouldn't be safe to take a scooter on as it's too long for the floor space.

There are no rides that a scooter will go on.

Jungle cruise can take a scooter I think but only because the platform is large enough that one can go on it safely.

Huh. I didn't know that- but then Mum always transferred so all they had to do is call the special boat that can be tied to the dock for easier boarding.

Regarding extra seats in the handicapped TSM cars. Many times my dh & I have been directed through the handicapped area to fill in two extra seats. They almost always have a couple extra riders waiting for that purpose. We're always glad when they do that, as it shaves off 5-10 min.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter