tow capacity help!

Discussion in 'Camping at Disney World' started by kjetjl, Feb 7, 2013.

1. kjetjl

kjetjl DIS Veteran

I have wanted a travel trailer for years and we are ready to buy one soon.

A few years ago, I asked some question on this board and everyone was so helpful and I learned a lot so I thought I would ask here to make sure I am figuring things out correctly.

We are looking at a 233s rockwood roo. 4531 Dry weight, gross weight about 6331 lbs.

We own a 2004 passenger Chevy Express 2500 V8 6L, 135 wheel base, 3.73 axle, automatic...after looking it up I figured it has a 7900 lb tow capacity.

We had uhaul install a hitch back in 2005 but most stickers are missing and we misplaced the paperwork. But there is a sticker 78144 on it. After looking up that part number, I think the hitch is a class 3 with 5000 lbs max weight and 7500 max weight distribution.

So if we get a weight distribution hitch for the trailer, are we good to go? Am I missing anything?

Thank you for anyone willing to review this for me!

We have 8 kids and have taken multiple trips to Disney using free dining but if we buy this trailer I plan to FINALLY get to the Fort!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. whiplash

whiplash Mouseketeer

Based on your information, you should have no problems. Your tow vehicle is plenty. Any RV shop will be able to steer you right. Good luck and enjoy your first trip. I'll be there with DS and his family in about 4 weeks, ready to go now.

4. articfox676

articfox676 Mouseketeer

If you would like other opinions you can go to RV.net. Under travel trailers there will many who will help answer your question. We have a 2500 GMC, 6.0L and tow about 7500 with no problem.

Great to have you joining the Fort Family.

5. ~Kristina~

~Kristina~ DIS Veteran

Go to www.forestriverforums.com. They'll be able to help. I don't trust RV shops. I was told I could easily pull a Roo 183 with a Honda Pilot. Not true based on all the numbers. You have to leave enough room for cargo, passengers, and fuel and the dry weight doesn't include things such as awning, A/C, etc. Base all your numbers on the GVWR. FRF's will be able to help, and check out the Roo section. I have a 233s with a Suburban 1/2 ton and I really wish we had a 3/4 ton.

6. North of Mouse

North of Mouse DIS Veteran

You are so right, very unfortunately! :sad2: We, ourselves, almost got into a very bad situation when we were first starting RV ing many years ago. Some are honest, and some are so *into* selling a trailer at any cost that they will knowingly lie. :eek:

I've also seen some *very* dangerously overloaded tow vehicles on the road! :scared1:

7. kjetjl

kjetjl DIS Veteran

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

How do you like the 233s?

I think the dishonest salesmen give those that are honest a bad name. From past experience (not with RV sales), I do not trust much any salesperson tells me unless I can verify the information with my own research.

8. ~Kristina~

~Kristina~ DIS Veteran

I love it! I did have some water damage on the front bunk already though. Forest River paid for the entire repair, so their customer service has been fantastic to us! I've heard they've fixed the seal problem though. I have a 2011 and really wish we had the U-dinette, but I have no complaints. You should really check out the Roo section on the forums, a lot of modification posts, great people who know their stuff. If you have a problem, they'll have the answers. Considering your van is a 2500, I think you'll be really pleased with your towing experience. I have a WDH and sway bars (Husky Centerline), I highly recommend doing the same. :) I've also heard great things about the other WDH systems such as Equalizer and there's another one that I can't think of. Our WDH is 1000/10000lbs.

9. Disney Bunny

Disney Bunny DIS Veteran

Here is a good calculation chart for determining what you can safely tow:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml