Touching the Slipper.....?????

SorcererHeidi

Sorcerer please cast forever love spell for me
I said on another thread that I hope whoever wins the deluxe stay prize thinks of all of us when they are enjoying their amazing gift. That got me to thinking.....

A long time ago, a bunch of friends from another internet community and I were talking about being bummed that some couldn't join us for a big get together at WDW some of us were having, and we wished we could ALL be there at the same time. That led us to the idea of doing something to think about all those that couldn't be with us on all our trips - whether we were together, solo, with our families, whatever. Many ideas were brought up/tabled, for various reasons.

The idea that "stuck" and stayed strong through MANY MANY trips (this tradition started in Dec '93, I lost touch with most members of the group in early '01, but I'm sure some continue to do it, and I have on all of my trips) was to touch the slipper that is being put on Cinderella's foot in the tile mosaic inside the walkway through the castle (on the left hand wall, if you're facing Fantasyland, for those not familiar). Sometimes, unfortunately, the walkway is closed for shows or something, and I've come to either think "well, I tried" and think right there by the closed corridor, or personally I usually go to the wishing well statue that's found down the right hand side walkway from the castle (right hand side as you're looking at the castle with Main St. at your back) and do it there. Many have taken pics of themselves - in groups, or with their families, or solo, "touching the slipper", and that's cool too.

Just wondered - with the busy vacation season upcoming, a lot of you have trips planned, and the upcoming July DIS events - if any of you might like to think about doing that. I'd love to hear about it, it would really touch my heart. And I promise that since I have always kept the tradition, I will continue it with all of my friends here that are not with me whenever my next trip is in my heart and thoughts. It's a way for all of us to be "together". At first it was just us thinking about those that couldn't be there with us then due to distance, finances, work schedule, whatever. Then, due to the long time involved, it unfortunately and inevitably became thinking of those of us who had passed on to the castle in the sky, or even who we had somehow just lost touch with But it also was also just as cool when people were there with new friends, babies, fiances, loves, etc. - the whole "circle of life" concept. Took a picture myself one time with my finance after getting engaged by the castle, touching the slipper with my new ring showing (unfortunately my prince turned into a frog, but the memory of a cool pic at the time lives on). Sometimes my memories touched me so deeply that I've become emotional, but what better way and place for me to feel those feelings, embrace those memories, and live the legacy of those I'm thinking about and/or missing? I've also had some very touching interactions with others (guests and CM's) who have witnessed my emotions, even though (of course) I try to keep them private (and happy, but sometimes things get the best of me).

Corny maybe, but I love it all the same, and wondered what everybody else thinks. Like I said, I've gotten more soppy and sentimental, more "mushy gushy" as I get older, and I'm SORT OF okay with that. LOL. Hope this didn't drag on too long and bore anybody, and I communicated my thoughts coherently without being maudlin. Just a thought I wanted to share, and throw out there to the universe.....and you, my (slipper) friends.

I love this! And what's funny, as many times as I've looked at the mosaic (even have tons of pics), I don't think I've ever actually focused in on the slipper. I literally take thousands of pics each trip, but all of my mosaic pics seem to be of the section below. I can't guarantee that area will be open when we're in that part of MK, but if it is, we will definitely go through and touch the slipper. Plus, it'll force me to photograph the rest of the mosaic. Since clearly, I've been playing favorites with sections and didn't even realize it!

6061575083_708f767e64_z.jpg

I really thought I had it from at least one more recent trip and then I realized it was the carousel...and I don't think they want me reaching up and touching this. LOL

6062129302_6b9c44a504_z.jpg

Perhaps a selfie of having a drink
Yes, but since the thought was for everybody to touch the same thing and think of the others while doing so, and you listed not liking sharing backwash in another post, I thought you might object to others drinking from the same drink you did while thinking of you. :) But that's just me. :laughing:

I love this! And what's funny, as many times as I've looked at the mosaic (even have tons of pics), I don't think I've ever actually focused in on the slipper. I literally take thousands of pics each trip, but all of my mosaic pics seem to be of the section below. I can't guarantee that area will be open when we're in that part of MK, but if it is, we will definitely go through and touch the slipper. Plus, it'll force me to photograph the rest of the mosaic. Since clearly, I've been playing favorites with sections and didn't even realize it!

6061575083_708f767e64_z.jpg

I really thought I had it from at least one more recent trip and then I realized it was the carousel...and I don't think they want me reaching up and touching this. LOL

6062129302_6b9c44a504_z.jpg
Yep - you're right, it's the one where Prince Charming is actually putting the slipper on Cinderella's foot - I think it's the 2nd or 3rd one from the "end" of the hallway? But you're also right that walkway is closed down @ times for shows, etc. Sometimes they close it off further towards Main St. than that, sometimes not. And when it's been closed, I've either "touched the slipper" at another time later in day/trip when it's been open, or like I said - closed my eyes right there and thought about others, or gone to the wishing well.

So I will be there in July just before the DIS Meet (Thanks Bro for your untimely planning). Should we post the photo in this link? I love this idea and I am always looking for new photo ideas. I am up for the Drink thing too. My SIL and I are craving the Pina CoLava.

So I will be there in July just before the DIS Meet (Thanks Bro for your untimely planning). Should we post the photo in this link? I love this idea and I am always looking for new photo ideas. I am up for the Drink thing too. My SIL and I are craving the Pina CoLava.
I'd love to see any pics anyone would like to take/share, or just to hear "I'll touch or have touched the slipper for ya" is smile inducing too (as it has been to hear all these years) :)

Love the idea Heidi!!
Maybe we could start a new tradition though, since the other is connected to your old forum/community days? And the castle can be hard to access at times?

Like Phil said, maybe the soup kitchen menu or even just one of the little fence toppers around the partners statue?
They're always accessible and it would be a new tradition for your new friends here?!

I'd love to see/hear the results of whatever ya'll come up with, 'cause it means that (hopefully) I'll be "there with you in your thoughts, and spirit" when you do whatever it is you do!! :) (If that makes any sense)

Maybe we could do something with one of the Statues ... like the Roy/Minnie one
That would be awesome, Phil. I've posted here before about my tradition of honoring 9/11 victims by the Partners statue. (I'm just thinking - I sure do a lot of retrospection on my WDW trips!) :) And the Roy/Minnie one could have the castle in the background, if taken from that angle. awesome!

For years, many of us would have a Dole Whip in honor of Bob Varley and post a pic right near the bridge leading from Adventureland to Main Street or by the Bwana Bob's gift cart across from the old Dole Whip location. Some still do this; others don't, but I know every time I'm in that area I think of him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter