Totally Unscientific Poll

How Do You Feel About The OKW Pool?

• OKW Member - I support a dues increase to add a slide.

• OKW Member - More than a slide is needed. Bigger increase for a complete new pool.

• OKW Member - I like the pool as is.

• OKW Member - Smaller increase to add better kiddy pool.

• Non-OKW - They should add a slide & lifeguard

• Non-OKW - I enjoy the pool as is.

• Non-OKW - Improve the kiddy pool area.

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's a shame that without a slide or better themed pool, at WDW no less, children are bored when a swim in the creek was a thrill to those of us that didn't "have" as kids.
Spruce, you must be talking about way back when River Country was the only water park on Disney propety :D.

BTW, I appreciate what we have ... but I still want a slide! And no, I don't was an All Stars type pool. Just a nice zero depth pool for the littlest DVC members and a nice slide for the bigger "kids". If that makes me spoiled, so be it! It wouldn't be the first time.

On our first trip to WDW, we spent 9 days at the Beach Club, my DD was barely 8. For her, SAB was one of the highlights of the trip! At almost 11, the pool is still a big deal. We have only stayed at OKW twice, as we are fairly new members, but have yet to swim in the pool. We did go by and look at it though. Next trip, we are staying at BWV. And guess what, she's excited about the pools! Yes, it's WDW, but do you have pools like that around town? We don't! It will break her heart if they do end pool hopping to SAB, guess we might have to figure out a way to afford BCV. Do I wish our home resort OKW had a nice pool? You bet! Diana

Pam,
I thought your survey was very appropriate, very simple and to the point. We have been members since 94 and have always loved OKW. Our children were 15 and 16 at the time and they always loved OKW and still do. We have lots to compare to--pre-DVC we always stayed at the Poly and the pool was great. We have also stayed at Boardwalk (great location), pool hopped to the Yacht and Beach club pool and also some others. Everyone still prefers OKW and its' pool. We just love the laid back homey feeling there. It does take longer to get places, but when you are a member you really aren't in much of a hurry because you know there will be another day---Hakuna Matata.:D

This sounds too much like the old folks vs the young'ns. Anybody remember Dana Carvey's Old Man character? " Why when we were kids we didn't have rollee coasters- we just jumped off a hill-- and we liked it." Reminds of the old guy who said, "I've seen a lot of changes, and I've been against every one of them."

Seems this is becoming more a debate between those with kids and those that don't have kids. Wanting to make things more fun is as strong a desire for some as keeping things from changing is for others.

Spruce-
Creeks and lakes are fun- they have animals in them and trees to swing out off of and into the water. And rocks to dive off, and currents...Lots of interactive features...and as far as saying people should just appreciate what they have...well people are paying Disney a lot for the resort experience and some of us feel that the OKW pool is not up to the rest of current WDW resort standards. I mean if you are supposed to just be happy with what there is why ever build a new E-ticket ride or add an Epcot or MGM or AK for that matter? When we were kids MK was more than enough.

PamOKW -I am not sure what about the All Star pool features you don't like. I was not considering cheerleeders as part of the pool...

and robinb made me think of something else--a zero depth pool would not only be nicer for the little ones, but the bigger ones in wheelchairs too!

Paul

I think you're missing my point Ann. I'm not aware of the details of what they provide for children's programs but they do provide them. I don't begrudge what they cost since other people are paying for the buses that I use and they don't. What I said was IF it turned out that people with children weren't the majority who were staying at OKW then maybe they could consider offering more things for the adults or balancing events. Currently, there aren't any adult programs.

What I am trying to say is that many of the members do like it the way it is. That seems to be coming across in this survey and is the result DVC got from their survey. This is the way the resort was sold with what I still maintain are beautiful pools. They don't have slides or other bells & whistles that, of course, appeal to children. I think SAB is great and if I was a kid I'd want to be there too. But, to put that in the setting of OKW would change the whole character of the place.

It boils down to some children don't like the OKW pools and their parents who would like to see something better at OKW for them to enjoy. However, that has to be balanced by the members and their families who very much like OKW the way it is.

Why is it distatsteful for me to want to enjoy the vacations that I have paid a great sum of money to take? Many people are expressing their feeling that a slide or other changes to the pools would enhance their vacations. I'm saying that things that would enhance my vacation would be updating the gym and arcade and maybe adding some social programs. ;) When we are in this for the long-term it's not ALL about keeping children happy. Of course, they should have things for them and babysitting etc., etc. However, Disney continues to market to adults and empty nesters about how great WDW is without kids. Well, let's see some of those programs also.

AnnK:

I agree with a lot of what you said, except the thing about the "OKW Attitude" :rolleyes: . Even though I am an owner at OKW and have been told I have "an attitude" ;).

I just want to expland on one of your points. The thing about kids and pools is that many kids would just as soon spend time in the pool than go to a Disney park. Ask you average 10 year old boy: "BWV Terrifying Clown Pool or Beauty and the Beast at MGM?" and you know what answer you would get. You'd probably get the same answer from a 10 year old girl too :). Kids love to swim. Older kids love water slides. Adults love hot tubs. Two outta three at OKW isn't bad, but I want it all!

I was reading more of these posts and I agree with Spruce.....Aren't we all becoming just a little spoiled? Remember your first trip to WDW? It was all magic-who cared about the pools, except that there was one-- to cool off and relax. Our poor deprived children need something other that the parks to be amused? I really think we need to revisit what is really important here. WDW is itself can be overwhelming for parents as well as children without all this worry about "themed" pools. If one needs the "theme", then there are plenty of options to choose from at WDW. As far as the "old folks" and "OKW attitude". Gimme a break!!!!!!

Maybe one of the differences we are missing in this discussion is the basic conceptual difference between Old Key West -- the original Disney Vacation Club - and the other WDW resorts.

The other WDW resorts are hotel/motel establishments. The "shell" could be a Holiday Inn but it is dressed up to be a much nicer resort whether it's a Value resort or a Moderate. The Deluxe resorts are all distinctive hotels.

The Disney Vacation Club was built as something different. We've agreed before that it is much more of a luxury golf condo complex. As such, it has 4 smaller size pools rather than one large pool (or a theme pool and a quiet pool). Two of these pools offer snack service (since it is a resort) and more theming and other activities in the general area like the sand castle, playground, basketball, tennis, etc. It is more of a community than a hotel. In fact, it's not a hotel at all.

The only other resort on property comparable is DI. This was also built as a community type setting and has less emphasis on the pool area as well.

I can't comment on the set-up at Hilton Head but all the other DVC's are connected with hotels and have more of a hotel feel. (Vero is kind of a hybrid that was intended to be more like OKW but due to plan changes is more hotel-like). VWL, BWV & BCV have smaller rooms because they are more hotel like.

If you want to feel like you are at a hotel, then OKW takes getting used to and you may never come to love it. If you want to feel like you have a luxury vacation home then OKW is it and some can't get used to the hotel feel of BWV (Rich where are you?). Some of us love them all but we also love that they are different in some aspects. :)

I don't see how making the main pool more interactive would change the general atmosphere at OKW. The place is huge. There are areas for quiet reflection, walks, community feel. Other than the financial consequences on dues I don't know why anyone would want to deprive other resort guests of an onsite choice similar to what is offered at other resorts, hotel like or not. How would one pool change alter the whole resort?

BTW-I hold in my hand the Summer 2001 Disney magazine which had an article "The Best WDW Pools." OKW made it for the Village Pool being the Best Place for a Picnic Lunch.

Paul

Paul, I understand and appreciate your suggestion for making some type of change at the OKW pool that would still keep the character of the resort. THat is something that has never been presented as an option by DVC. I don't know whether that would require a dues increase or would come out of the capital budget. I also don't know whether they would even need to ask or could just "do it".....like they can remodel the lobby or change the configuration of the restaurants. It's also something that I would probably support.

However, many of the pool who are dissatisfied with the pools now would not have their minds substantially changed by such an improvement. The benefit of the expense seems minimal. I'm not sure how DVC would make the decision.

PamOKW,
I had decided to stay out of this, but since you think I am missing the point I will say, I am in fact not missing anything.
You said if there should less children at OKW then maybe you could cut the "children's programs". I am asking you what they are? As I recall there wasn't much at all, nothing costly, and nothing of interest to most children over 5. So I wonder just what are you cutting? I also wonder at what amount of children you feel it is appropriate to cut the few little programs OKW offers out altogether. I know those spoiled rotten little kids didn't pay a dime to join, so why offer them anything at all?

What type of Adult programs would you like to see? Based on the cost of the kids programs you are cutting, maybe it would mean free pretzels.
:D

I don't put much faith in the survey results. It's the same old people taking the same old survey. Why would I expect the results to be any different now?

Yes the resort was sold this way 10 years ago. The pools are nice, but BORING, and claustrophobic for sure. All the other resorts have updated the pools, and they are very nice. I suspect that if DVC upgraded the pool they would do a beautiful job, and would keep it completely within the original "theme" of OKW.

Robinb you are an exception to the OKW attitude, ( and there are others out there too!) Funny thing is we bought BWV, added on OKW because BWV was not available in NY. Loved BWV, thought OKW was nice. It's these boards that have really soured me on OKW.

WOW,
The pool has always mattered to me when I stay at a resort. We go to Disney so often that many times we have no need of going to the parks, we just like to enjoy our resort. Sorry if you don't think that OKW people have the ADULTS first attitude, maybe you just haven't been reading these boards long enough......

PamOKW I don't think anyone is missing the condo/hotel difference. I am not sure why that means you don't need a fun pool or to update the other facilities. ( DI failed so what does that mean?:confused:

Paul,
I would agree they are good for having a picnic lunch.:D :D

that's all I am going to say on this subject. I do own a contract at OKW but I haven't stayed there in a few years. As long as I can trade into BWV, VWL or the upcoming BCV, I am not overly concerned with what happens at OKW. I leave that for the adult vacationers:D

We're just a tiny little group of DVC members yakking away here. If I based whether I'd stay at certain resorts by what some people say on these boards I probably wouldn't even go to WDW.

I'm not a child hater (or even very old) as I seem to be perceived. Not sure how that happened. All I want to do is go to my "home" every once in awhile. I do want to see it maintained to current standards and I'm hoping DVC will do that. I would enjoy some enhancements to the pools but I do not feel a need to demand a slide. I would be willing to take a modest bump to pay for a lifeguard and would be willing to have dues increase to keep the entire resort up to the latest standards. I just have a problem singling out one particular feature i.e, a slide. If DVC feels an increase is needed to institute a program that will upgrade all aspects that's okay with me.

I don't know what the current children's programs are -- I have never had any reason to use them since all children who have traveled with me were pre-teen or older and more interested in hitting the parks. The remark about pretzels is kind of funny because I once told a DVC management type to drop the chips (at the socials they used to have) and give us a few extra towels at the time the charge was being instituted....we lost the chips and the towels. ;)

Hi,
I wish that you could of incorporated the age of the member on this vote.
I feel that the older member wants the resort to stay the same...?
( I wonder how there grandchildren would vote?, I bet they would like a slide!)
Age, I feel is important in this vote.
I'm 40 and have three children, that want to stay anywhere , but OKW.
One restraunt, very poor game room, no slide, etc. I purchased OKW, because it was the only game in town....
We have never stayed at OKW since Boardwalk opened....
I don't blame the kids..... I think that OKW needs to improve, and update. Let's at least add a food court, etc.

Leaving for Disney in 2 days SOOO
that's all I am going to say on this subject. I do own a contract at OKW but I haven't stayed there in a few years. As long as I can trade into BWV, VWL or the upcoming BCV, I am not overly concerned with what happens at OKW. I leave that for the adult vacationers

AnnK,
I agree, but we need to be concerned....What if we can't get in other resorts in the future? It is getting harder and harder to book at BWV.
We never stay at OKW, either......But I'm worried as more and more members won't stay at OKW, will be able to get into other resorts?
P.S......I'll beat everyone to the punch...who asks me then why did you buy at OKW? It was the only DVC property at the time I purchased.

I am not sure about your age thing - I have always wanted a slide at OKW (even when I brought) because in the sales pitch - they claimed that it was just like a moderate - but the moderates have slides.

Now I don't generally do slides - but niece and nephew, not to mention my friends do.

When OKW did the survey and my side got out voted I asked to see the results - and the people who wanted a slide were out voted by about 90%. I don't know why - the slides at the moderates are not fancey (well CRS is) and the kids love them.

I agreed there is not enough for adults or kids to do at OKW - compare it to a Marriott.

When FW first opened - WDW had tons of programs for it and no one participated - everyone went to the parks. But I wish WDW would realize there is a diffence in DVC and people staying at WDW resorts. I was going to participate in the DI but WDW closed it to guests before I could.

Maybe some day....

Originally posted by PKS44

BTW-I hold in my hand the Summer 2001 Disney magazine which had an article "The Best WDW Pools." OKW made it for the Village Pool being the Best Place for a Picnic Lunch.

Paul

Sure you can turn the interactivness of a creek around to bolster your argument but that misses my entire point.
Are you suggesting then that the OKW main pool is highly rated since it made a best of list or do you find fault with poolside picnics?
I'm 41 years old and bought when I was 37. I'm not quite ready for the retirement home.
I own at OKW and BWV and soon will own at BCV. I've followed the mantra of these boards, "Buy where you want to stay" Unfortunatly, those that bought early with a lower price and free passes didn't have a choice of where to buy. Those choices are there now though and it seems by trading in at 7 months some are using those choices but paying the lower OKW fees(good plan).
I don't care if the OKW pool is upgraded or not. It's a nice pool now and I own different choices. My glass is half-full but I don't drink so I don't need any cheese......spruce

I am not sure who made the sales pitch and grouped it with a moderate, because it is way above that. I was told it surpassed the deluxes. I agree with that statement.
I shudder when I think of a food court being built at OKW, but, then, I cannot stand food courts. If I wanted a food court I would stay at a moderate or value. Since they are on par with the deluxe resort, I think it should maintain the same quality.
The only deluxe I know of with any sort of food court is AKL.
But, I still would not even that at OKW.
Now, to the slide. I guess when we old fogies pass this on to our grandchildren they can then vote to have the slide they want so badly. After all, they will then be paying the dues. Perhaps the lack of slide and other exciting features at the pools are the reason we have pool hopping available to us. This way you can enjoy what makes your boat float without incurring additional dues.
OKW is supposed to be laid back, there is nothing laid back about noise that usually accompanies a water slide.
Now, if you want to make an improvement that would benefit us old fogies, perhaps enlarging the GS to it's orginal size would be great, get us soused and we will agree to the slide. ;)

spruce asked me in his post
Are you suggesting then that the OKW main pool is highly rated since it made a best of list or do you find fault with poolside picnics?

Neither-I was merely providing some additional information and opinion other than my own that I happened across.
I thought it was an interesting article with some great pictures of WDW pools.

Paul

THe key to DVC is to have choices and flexibility. If we change the theme of OKW by making it more like the other offerings, it would limit our choices. I say leave it as is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter