Torn between Value or Moderate

Thanks all! You make great points with the values. That is where I am leaning today. I would use the extra money for my meals, so that is a plus. I have heard about requesting top floor overlooking the lake at Pop. If I go that way, that may be the route to take.

Thanks again all!

I prefer moderates even when I go solo. I like the pools better, the grounds better, having a hot tub. The towels seem nicer and the beds are more comfy to me.

I only have one value left to try (ASSP) and then the only time I'll stay at a value again is if the family is going and we need the Family Suites.

I stayed 10 nites back in Oct. Bldg 3 preferred 4th floor. Bldg was right next to main bldg. Quiet, rarely heard any kids, occasional running and hollering, but that was like once or twice. It was a Solo trip, so plenty of room. Mousekeeping was great..if i left to do not disturb tag they also left way more towels, soap, etc. Pool bar folks were really nice, laundry room next to bar....sneaky Disney people ☺ Never felt unsafe at night, plenty of people around. Will stay at Pop Century again, no problem.

I often travel solo and I really like the All Stars! Ask for Top floor, NOT facing the pool and noise is a non issue. _I_ would rather save money and eat more!

The grounds are typically nicer at the moderate resorts, but the rooms are pretty much the same as a value. The pool at Coronado is really nice, but unless the special has the pricing between the two types at a fairly close rate - I'd probably opt for the value. Save the extra bucks and buy some mouse ears. :earsgirl:

I think I am sold on the values. I go over all of the costs of everything and it really seems like a no-brainer. I love the moderates for sure...but that added money going to meals or MVMCP and La Nouba sounds good too.

Thanks all!

I absolutely love POP, but our anniversary trip was SO crowded, especially in the food court and the buses. We switched to POR the next trip and it was like night and day. Not as crowded and and buses seemed to be more frequent than at POP. It's kind of our little splurge to stay at a moderate. To each his own, but IMO I prefer Moderate.

The grounds are typically nicer at the moderate resorts, but the rooms are pretty much the same as a value. The pool at Coronado is really nice, but unless the special has the pricing between the two types at a fairly close rate - I'd probably opt for the value. Save the extra bucks and buy some mouse ears. :earsgirl:

There is a significant difference in rooms size. The rooms at POR are 314 square feet. The rooms at ASMo are 240 square feet.

There is a significant difference in rooms size. The rooms at POR are 314 square feet. The rooms at ASMo are 240 square feet.

And the difference is even greater, and more noticeable, at CBR which are 340 sq. feet.

I have just over 100 days to figure out if I want to reserve a value or a moderate, and I have been going back and forth daily.

I will be just me, so I dont really need much. I love the moderates and prefer them, but the savings by going to a value is tempting.

So torn...
We gVe stayed at both and moderate is what I prefer. If you can afford it then I would go for a moderate. It's just my opinion. Lol

It sure doesn't feel that way! Last time I stayed at the Port Orleans Riverside, the room felts exactly like an All-Star. Size, and especially quality. You're paying for the grounds at a moderate - not apparent room expansion. Going from a deluxe to an All-Star, the size difference is instantly realized. And those dimensions may be the bathroom spacing - it didn't feel like the room was much different in a moderate

Typically we stay at deluxe or moderate. This past trip we told the kids that they could choose any resort they want. They chose All Star Sports. I was a little nervous about staying at a value. Once there, that all went away. Sure it wasn't as nice as a moderate or deluxe, but it wasn't un-nice either. We had a great experience and will be trying out more value resorts in the future.

I finally gave in and tried Pop last fall after having only stayed at mods and deluxe. Loved it! Top floor, lake view. Beautiful! Do it!

It sure doesn't feel that way! Last time I stayed at the Port Orleans Riverside, the room felts exactly like an All-Star. Size, and especially quality. You're paying for the grounds at a moderate - not apparent room expansion. Going from a deluxe to an All-Star, the size difference is instantly realized. And those dimensions may be the bathroom spacing - it didn't feel like the room was much different in a moderate

I'm pretty sure the Value rooms are 260 or 265 sq. ft -- so not *quite* as small as previously mentioned. I remember reading this same observation (that POR didn't feel any bigger than a value room) on a Disney message board a few years ago. It got to be a heated argument (sometimes people argue about the most insignificant things ;-D ) so someone who was there measured the actual square footage and the size of all furniture in a moderate resort room and someone else measured a room and furniture at a value resort. I think they were comparing POR and Pop Century. Anyway, after compiling all the measurements, they realized that while the square footage of the POR room was larger than PoP, the beds, dressers, and vanity at POR were also larger than the the beds, dressers, and vanity at Pop, so there was actually the same amount of open floor space (within a few feet) in both rooms. That is most likely why you didn't see or feel a noticeable difference between the two.

Last edited:
I finally gave in and tried Pop last fall after having only stayed at mods and deluxe. Loved it! Top floor, lake view. Beautiful! Do it!

Pop was FUN. Do it. Our room was comfortable and quiet. Once of the best mattresses EVER.

I'm pretty sure the Value rooms are 260 or 265 sq. ft -- so not *quite* as small as previously mentioned. I remember reading this same observation (that POR didn't feel any bigger than a value room) on a Disney message board a few years ago. It got to be a heated argument (sometimes people argue about the most insignificant things ;-D ) so someone who was there measured the actual square footage and the size of all furniture in a moderate resort room and someone else measured a room and furniture at a value resort. I think they were comparing POR and Pop Century. Anyway, after compiling all the measurements, they realized that while the square footage of the POR room was larger than PoP, the beds, dressers, and vanity at POR were also larger than the the beds, dressers, and vanity at Pop, so there was actually the same amount of open floor space (within a few feet) in both rooms. That is most likely why you didn't seem or feel a noticeable difference between the two.

That makes sense, but I would never have guessed!

Most of my trips are DS and I. He insists on staying at ASMo. I had the opportunity to go so hello several years ago. So I jumped on the opportunity to go with a mod. I ended up at CSR. It was beautiful and I loved it. But I was really wishing I hadn't spent the extra money. I was pretty much at the resort just enough to sleep. And with just one person I felt like all the extra space was a waste. I just wish I could get DS to go to a moderate. I think the amenities and space would be very well used with both of us.

This was a recent discussion before we booked our choice. We ultimately decided on POP, and it was my worry for my husband that stopped me initially. I was concerned about the bed size for him since he's tall but said he's fine so that's that lol.

Basically it came down to realizing how little overall we would be at the resort. Originally we had wanted to take a longer trip but decided that a slightly shorter trip at POP would be better in this instance.

For 600 less we opted for POP and got the DDP, Flying Fish chef counter and some extra surprises. I think if we had resort days planned or extra time to enjoy the amenities it would be more important for a moderate. So really there is no better, there's only what is more important to YOU. I hope you enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter