Top ten threads - September 2015

Princess Jes

DIS Veteran
Did anyone notice that nearly all of the top ten were the threads that show up in the bottom banner of Google ads?

Also I'm surprised Pete didn't go further into the "is this allowed?" Thread. I got sucked in to the Google ad and read that thread and it actually goes into explaining that the VIP tour was run by CMs who were also using their CM discount to buy items for those on the tour and also that the character M&Gs and access to rides were almost non-existent.

It was also run by a company that then got involved and it was a whole saga.

If you can be bothered, give it a read and then come discuss here

I realised I had read most of them, and it's probably from the banner!!

I was surprised they didn't go into that thread too... it was an interesting one to read.

I would love Pete to do his top ten favourite threads. That sounds like a lot of fun! Do it, Pete!

I also realized that I had read most of them! I think Pete's top 10 would be way better. The current top threads are very depressing!

Maybe do a top pick from each category?

I realized I had read most of them as well. There are so many threads posted, I tend to look at the banner and choose one or two that sound interesting. Lazy, I know, but I am still new to the boards.

The thing is, majority of them have click bait titles so you're more inclined to read them.
I think having them in the Google ads skews the results to be honest.
Petes top 10 threads will be better

Is the Google Ad banner the one that pops up on the bottom of the boards? If so, I've noticed it once in a while - probably because the posters' pics are distorted by my computer so look pixled and a bit freaky :-) I've never actually used it to go to the most popular threads.

Princess Jes (PJ): I haven't read the "is this allowed?" thread yet but sounds interesting so will try to check it out this weekend. I'm not really into the spend extra for VIP treatment garbage/rip off. I've only weakened enough to do the Behind the Seeds Tour at the Living with the Land Pavilion at Epcot (cheap & really interesting) & a couple of the Food Deminars at Epcot's F&W Festival (also cheap). Years ago, I took a niece on the AK Wild Africa Trek when it was just starting up and if you wanted to be a volunteer in the first few weeks, you got it half off. We loved it for the price. And the nile crocs didn't eat us up so a bonus. We did get to see a hippo up close crushing watermelons in her jaws so that was great. I wouldn't do it again at the present premium price. Sadly, WDW has picked up on North Americans' craving for being special/VIP and has maxed this to the limit with rather shallow & useless pay more for less prestige experiences. Its sad because there really is so much to do with just the park admission.

I'm also happy with Pete's change up re threads of the month. Think this will be a much more interesting & entertaining perspective and give wild card/underdog threads a chance to shine!

Is the Google Ad banner the one that pops up on the bottom of the boards? If so, I've noticed it once in a while - probably because the posters' pics are distorted by my computer so look pixled and a bit freaky :-) I've never actually used it to go to the most popular threads.

Princess Jes (PJ): I haven't read the "is this allowed?" thread yet but sounds interesting so will try to check it out this weekend. I'm not really into the spend extra for VIP treatment garbage/rip off. I've only weakened enough to do the Behind the Seeds Tour at the Living with the Land Pavilion at Epcot (cheap & really interesting) & a couple of the Food Deminars at Epcot's F&W Festival (also cheap). Years ago, I took a niece on the AK Wild Africa Trek when it was just starting up and if you wanted to be a volunteer in the first few weeks, you got it half off. We loved it for the price. And the nile crocs didn't eat us up so a bonus. We did get to see a hippo up close crushing watermelons in her jaws so that was great. I wouldn't do it again at the present premium price. Sadly, WDW has picked up on North Americans' craving for being special/VIP and has maxed this to the limit with rather shallow & useless pay more for less prestige experiences. Its sad because there really is so much to do with just the park admission.

I'm also happy with Pete's change up re threads of the month. Think this will be a much more interesting & entertaining perspective and give wild card/underdog threads a chance to shine!
It's interesting more for the follow up from the actual company, rather than the crap people were whining about in terms of ethics etc. but interesting nonetheless

Did anyone notice that nearly all of the top ten were the threads that show up in the bottom banner of Google ads?

Also I'm surprised Pete didn't go further into the "is this allowed?" Thread. I got sucked in to the Google ad and read that thread and it actually goes into explaining that the VIP tour was run by CMs who were also using their CM discount to buy items for those on the tour and also that the character M&Gs and access to rides were almost non-existent.

It was also run by a company that then got involved and it was a whole saga.

If you can be bothered, give it a read and then come discuss here
Jess - I sent this to the mod for that board (Reid) but I'll post it here as well. I only heard about that thread on Saturday from my husband's cousin - Gracie. The one who was being accused. She was devastated about this thread and the accusations.

Hey Reid,

Thanks for locking the "Is This Allowed?" thread. I only ever go on the Unplugged board and missed this one entirely however I spent this past Saturday at Epcot with my husband and his cousin - Gracie. The Gracie who is being accused in this post. When we were hanging out at F&W, I was telling Gracie about my Dis magic band (I've got the GKTW) and trying to explain my fascination with the Dis (the boards, podcast, etc). She then told me about that thread and how much of a headache it became for her. She said she hadn't ever been on the boards before but was contacted by her previous employer who accused her of doing tours since she signed a non-compete agreement. She hadn't done any Disney tours since she signed that non-compete (when she left that job) but it didn't stop her former employer from really giving her a hard time. Anyway, that whole thread was a professional nightmare for her, all based on someone who used google to find someone by their first name and a few search criteria (and then relying on someone's memory that they MAY have recognized her...) Anyway, just wanted to give you the background and say thanks. :)

Stacy
So there you have it. It's a good idea not to jump to conclusions based on a google search. FWIW, I did ask cousin Gracie if she knew anything about the person who was giving the unauthorized tours and she didn't know her. She even wondered if that was her name. Guess you really can't trust everything you read on the internet. And if you do, don't make assumptions because it can (unknowingly) cause a lot of trouble for people.

I don't know...I enjoyed the top 10 threads and seeing where all the traffic on the DISBoards went. I don't usually venture outside of TPAS and the DLR board, and the top 10 threads on the podcast introduced me to some great resources - like the Yacht and Beach Club Resort FAQ on the Resort board. It was so helpful for our trip last year since it was our first time staying at Yacht Club, but I never would have known about it if it weren't for the top 10 threads. I just found it interesting to have an objective "this is what the DISBoarders are clicking on the most" insight each month.

Yes, I agree that this month's threads were a bit depressing, but I don't think every month has been that way. While I would like to see some of Pete's favorite threads as well, I don't think there's anything wrong with mentioning the top 10 threads traffic wise, and Pete's top 5 favorites in addition to that.

I knew those threads at the bottom of the page were clickbait when one of them was titled "We asked a CM if Spaceship Earth was a real spaceship, and YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT THEY SAID".

I think Pete picking his 10 favorites is a good idea. If he does it, he'll probably avoid the "Theme Parks Attractions & Strategies" board. There's always so much negativity there. I think if he ever makes his way into the "Rumors & News" board, he'll find a lot he'll like. There really is some great discussions there - particularly about the future of WDW, and to a lesser extent DL - and the negativity and "snarkiness" (is that even a word?) is kept at a minimum.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!