TOP CHEF Season 10!

Did anybody else notice the new artwork that Kristen had on her left arm?

If you go back into the LCK video's and look at week 11 - Kristen vs Lizzie, there is nothing on her arm.

Jump to week 12 - Kristen vs Josh vs. Save a Chef (Lizzie), she's got some art on her arm.

Did anybody else notice the new artwork that Kristen had on her left arm?

If you go back into the LCK video's and look at week 11 - Kristen vs Lizzie, there is nothing on her arm.

Jump to week 12 - Kristen vs Josh vs. Save a Chef (Lizzie), she's got some art on her arm.
I noticed it. I thought it was ugly.

I'm happy with the final 2, although I really liked Sheldon. He just seemed to have a few more mis-steps than Brooke or Kristen throughout the season.

I wasn't crazy about the LCK at the beginning, but since I thought Kristen should never have been kicked off the first time I'm good with how it turned out.

I'm sorry to see Sheldon go. I really wanted him to win. He was so down-to-earth, and his cooking was creative. So I have to ask, what the heck was he thinking? Why would he stray so far from the formula that was so successful for him? That entree didn't represent him at all.

I like both the finalists, but I really think that Brooke is the better chef. Kristen has a lot of technical ability, but I think Brooke has a lot more creativity and is able to think outside of the box more. Kristen's food certainly looks delicious, but it is classic, need I say a little boring?

Very happy that Kristin is in the finals!!! Brooke seems the more accomplished Chef compared to Sheldon and this is "Top Chef" so seems the best result.

Hoping for a Kristin win - her style is actually food that I'd try :goodvibes

I'm glad Brooke & Kirsten made it as the final two. (Although I would have been happy with Sheldon too.) And yeah, I was confused and thought last night was the finale and that the final cook-off would be with the three of them.

If Kristen brings her A game and Brooke gets rattled in the final and doesn't pull it together, then I think Kristen has it in the bag. But if they are both on top of things, it will be a close one.

I think that Brooke needs the drama of getting rattled and in the weeds to bring out her best. I think that's what I don't like about her, she seems to always say "I'm worried! I'm in so much trouble! I'm going home!" and then *poof* she has the best dish of the evening like last night. I despise false humility.

I don't agree. I think she turns into a rattled stereotypical blonde. :headache:

THREE times she tried to make her dishes "made to order" and NOT pre-plate or prepare stuff ahead of time. Even Joise, who I think is only a so-so chef, criticized her on it. I frankly have to wonder how much business the restaurants Brooke works in gets that she can make dishes "made to order" and thinks she can do that at the busy Top Chef challenges??? Unless she's used to cooking fast Chinese stir-frys or Benihana type grilled meals, I don't get how she thinks she can keep cooking "made to order???" The way she gets so rattled, she acts like she usually doesn't work in busy restaurants or knows how to work out doing 3 different courses at a time. :confused3

Tom was extremely exasperated with her. He was constantly prompting her to speed things up and giving her TIPS to PRE-plate things. She acted like she didn't know to do that??? :confused3

According to Tom's blog, Kristen wasn't in any real danger last night. If Sheldon did better, Brook would have gone home. She was a mess last night.

It showed during filming. I'm glad Tom re-iterated it, and that it wasn't just the editing. (He also told the other two to hurry up at times.) Being one of the top chefs in the world, you can see that precision is very important to Tom. I love when they show him at work in the kitchen. That way, he can really stand by what he says with real integrity. Being a top chef isn't just the taste of the food, it is about having a certain kitchen work ethic & standard in place, and when he gives a critique, it's because he can do it upside down, himself. :upsidedow

Brooke is very creative, but she seems to be too flustered when the pressure is on and there is multi-tasks to be preformed. It seems like a normal routine for her and that she can't function. Not that she needs the pressure to perform better in the end. She would drive me nuts to work with. :headache:

I felt really bad for Sheldon. He pulled a Carla. He should have went with what he knows. If he had, I think Kristen would have been out.

I know! I was thinking that too after I turned off my PC. He committed the Top Chef Cardinal Sin of cooking someone else's food. He got to the final 3 on his OWN food, not Kristen's or Brooke's.

I watche4d part of the show again when it re-airred. Sheldon said that during their time off, after he got home from Alaska, that he went to some famous restaurant in HI, to study cooking some more. That chef must have had some ego, stripped Sheldon of his own self-confidence, to where he GAVE UP his own cooking and took on this other Chef's way of cooking.

Even Emeril or Hugh had said something like, "Who got inside Sheldon's head with someone else's thoughts??? That wasn't Sheldon's cooking!" :sad2:

I somehow thought last night was going to be the finale, too.

Imzadi said:
I'm glad Brooke & Kirsten made it as the final two. (Although I would have been happy with Sheldon too.) And yeah, I was confused and thought last night was the finale and that the final cook-off would be with the three of them.

I don't agree. I think she turns into a rattled stereotypical blonde.

THREE times she tried to make her dishes "made to order" and NOT pre-plate or prepare stuff ahead of time. Even Joise, who I think is only a so-so chef, criticized her on it. I frankly have to wonder how much business the restaurants Brooke works in gets that she can make dishes "made to order" and thinks she can do that at the busy Top Chef challenges??? Unless she's used to cooking fast Chinese stir-frys or Benihana type grilled meals, I don't get how she thinks she can keep cooking "made to order???" The way she gets so rattled, she acts like she usually doesn't work in busy restaurants or knows how to work out doing 3 different courses at a time.

Tom was extremely exasperated with her. He was constantly prompting her to speed things up and giving her TIPS to PRE-plate things. She acted like she didn't know to do that???

It showed during filming. I'm glad Tom re-iterated it, and that it wasn't just the editing. (He also told the other two to hurry up at times.) Being one of the top chefs in the world, you can see that precision is very important to Tom. I love when they show him at work in the kitchen. That way, he can really stand by what he says with real integrity. Being a top chef isn't just the taste of the food, it is about having a certain kitchen work ethic & standard in place, and when he gives a critique, it's because he can do it upside down, himself.

Brooke is very creative, but she seems to be too flustered when the pressure is on and there is multi-tasks to be preformed. It seems like a normal routine for her and that she can't function. Not that she needs the pressure to perform better in the end. She would drive me nuts to work with.

I'm pretty sure Brooke and her husband own two restaurants, and she commented last night she's generally swamped with paperwork. So I don't know how much cooking she actually does regularly (which could explain her being in the weeds - maybe she's out of practice). Her husband is a chef, also.

I'm pretty sure Brooke and her husband own two restaurants, and she commented last night she's generally swamped with paperwork. So I don't know how much cooking she actually does regularly (which could explain her being in the weeds - maybe she's out of practice). Her husband is a chef, also.

Okay, that makes sense. Brooke did have a few guest judges who actually knew her. Either they had taught her or wanted to get a job from her restaurant. So it seemed like she is well known in the L.A. cooking world. But, then she'd get so rattled actually cooking herself. :headache:

But, I can see where she's more the creative chef, who comes up with extraordinary dishes, and then teaches the chefs at her restaurants how to cook them exactly the same. And they do all the pre-plating and stuff that she takes for granted in a well run kitchen. Usually people don't notice all that goes into how well run something is until something breaks down or they have to do it all themselves. :eek:

I thought Emeril was going to cry when they cut to commercial right before the announcement! I think he really liked Sheldon, I hope they get to work together and open a restaurant together.

I thought Emeril was going to cry when they cut to commercial right before the announcement! I think he really liked Sheldon, I hope they get to work together and open a restaurant together.

::yes: They really had a lot in common in terms of coming up from the same beginnings. Someone taking an interest in them, teaching them, which made the whole difference in the direction their life went. And they both specialize in a specific kind of cuisine that until Emeril popularized his Southern/Cajun(?) cuisine, was known, but not so mainstream. I think he was hoping Sheldon would have a chance to do that with his Filipino/Hawaiian/Pacific food.

It's a shame, if Sheldon had to have someone in his ear, it should have been Emeril, not that guy in Hawaii. :sad1: Ah well, it was a big lesson for Sheldon. I don't think he will forget to keep himself in his cooking from now on. It may ultimately make him a stronger chef.

Kristen and Brooke are pretty well matched as far as their skills, it's not like last year when Paul broke from the pack early and left everyone in the dust and you knew he was going to win the whole thing anyway.

So maybe it will be an interesting finale this time. I don't see Kristen as the clear winner yet.

I was sad to Sheldon go too, but I wasn't really surprised. He had left himself behind in the last few challenges. :sad1:
I pretty much figured Kristen would win LCK.
And Brooke has really been frazzled lately!

We shall see. Who's going to win Fan Favorite? Maybe Sheldon will win that....I know he's got my vote!

Watching tonight's show a bit time shifted. I just scared the hell out of my cat screaming :cool1:.

I guess there will be no reunion show this year. They announced who won fan favorite on WWHL, but I missed it.

While the finale format was interesting I was not a fan of it! For starters it felt too much like Iron Chef! Also if the formats intention was to add drama it failed massively . Once they talked to the past winners I knew Kristen one, because they didn't have enough time to show two courses! The format, not the winner, left a sour taste in my mouth!

Well we have our first winner that came back through LCK. I think it was a good idea. It allows truly talented chefs that may not have been eliminated of their own doing to fight their way back in. Well the proof is in the pudding. Kristen belonged.

The final format was ok. It seemed sort of like "the next Iron Chef."

The choices in their helpers was interesting. When I saw them, I saw that Kristen's all lasted a long time. Brook's went out fairly early with one exception.

In the first course, CJ could have been more consistent in cooking the pig ears. 2 judges got them burnt. But apparently, Brook wanted em that way. Also with Brook's dish, I was curious as to why the egg was off to one side rather than on top so that when opened it ran right down.

Two totally different treatments on scallops. Kristen cured hers, Brook seared hers. Both looked really good. This round was close and even though the 4th round went to Kristen too, I thought that round was close too.

The blunder of the evening was Brook's choice of the third course. The judges flat out thought it didn't belong in that competition and when I heard Brook's team discussing the fried chicken I thought Uh oh. This could be the one that gets ya beat. And it was.

I thought the quality of the chefs overall this year was better than last. Any of 4 or 5 chefs from this year could have easily won last year. Only the winner of last year could have won this year.

There seemed to be less house drama this year too. All the drama was in the kitchen.

mikegood2 said:
While the finale format was interesting I was not a fan of it! For starters it felt too much like Iron Chef! Also if the formats intention was to add drama it failed massively . Once they talked to the past winners I knew Kristen one, because they didn't have enough time to show two courses! The format, not the winner, left a sour taste in my mouth!

I didn't care for the format either. It was obvious that Kristin was going to win with the time that was left. I was happy to see two women in the finale but I would have really like to have seen Brooke win. I'm not unhappy that Kristin won but would have been happier if it were Brooke. It was good to see all the past winners together. I thought Richard had an interesting perspective when he said that he was the only one to know how they both felt.

I didn't mind the live format, but I would have preferred to see all the courses and have the judges vote by ballot for each course.

Did anyone see that they kept on interviewing Hosea and other previous Top Chef winners. While they mentioned all the awards and great restaurants the others had opened up ... Hosea has a catering company! Then, look at how successful some the people he beat: Stephan, Fabio and Carla. Worst. Top Chef. Ever.

Did NOT like the format, if only because 1) they interrupted the cooking competition with way too many bios (really, you have to do a bio of all 9 past winners), flashbacks, and then when you add the commercials, you don't see much cooking. I thought it would be like Iron Chef but it wasn't.

2) when they got through with Round 4, heck, maybe even before they started Round 4, there was obviously not enough time left for Round 5...so at that point it became obvious who won, which took any suspense out of the announcement.

Sheldon won Fan Favorite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter