Too Many Meds, how to transport to Disney

wifeofjack

Mouseketeer
Not sure this is proper place to post this, but here goes. Hubby and I leave in one week for WDW and he has to take his meds with him. He has 14 different meds that he needs on a daily basis, most maintenance meds, but has to have them. Will he be okay with airport security by just putting his pills in a case that has compartments for each day or does he have to carry them in their original package? It would be so much easier on him to just put them in daily amounts, but he has to adhere to the TSA rules. Anyone else have this situation and how have you handled it?

We've only had our pill meds in the original container. This is what the TSA site says:

Medications
Medications in pill or other solid form must undergo security screening. It is recommended that medication be clearly labeled to facilitate the screening process. Check with state laws regarding prescription medication labels.

So it doesn't specifically say you can't have it in your daily container. Just for ease, I'd honestly have them in their original container and put them all in a large freezer bag to keep them together so they can see the labels, etc. I don't really think you'd have a problem with the pills being in the daily sorter, but it might make screening take a bit longer if they choose to ask about them.

From the TSA wedsite:

Medications
Medications in pill or other solid form must undergo security screening. It is recommended that medication be clearly labeled to facilitate the screening process. Check with state laws regarding prescription medication labels.

You are responsible for displaying, handling, and repacking the medication when screening is required. Medication can undergo a visual or X-ray screening and may be tested for traces of explosives.

Unless they are controlled substances, I would put them into the daily compartments.

Controlled substances, I would keep in the original bottle. By controlled, I mean narcotics.

Actually, TSA doesn't really care. They recommend traveling with medications in properly labeled containers, but they aren't going to bat an eye if you use a day-of-the-week type organizer instead. Some states have laws requiring prescriptions to be carried in their original containers, but it's not really going to be an issue for you. What many people do is carry the label or receipt if you still have that, or ask their pharmacist for an extra copy. IF any of his meds are controlled substances, those should always be kept in the original container. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it; we travel with weekly pill cases with no problem.

Enjoy your vacation!

My DD takes several prescription meds plus additional OTC meds, supplements, and vitamins. When traveling domestically, I put them in her pill organizer and have never had an issue, but none of her meds are controlled substances. When traveling internationally, I keep everything in the original bottles.

I've always traveled with a pill organizer. I don't think I've ever had the original packaging.

We've only had our pill meds in the original container. This is what the TSA site says:

Medications

So it doesn't specifically say you can't have it in your daily container. Just for ease, I'd honestly have them in their original container and put them all in a large freezer bag to keep them together so they can see the labels, etc. I don't really think you'd have a problem with the pills being in the daily sorter, but it might make screening take a bit longer if they choose to ask about them.

I agree. Smartest to keep anything prescribed in the original container. You don't have to consider just TSA but the laws of any states you may be traveling through as well as to.
TSA does have every right to question medication. And if they have any concerns, they have the right to involve the local authorities. Others may not have had issues with pill organizers but that does not mean another individual couldn't encounter problems using one in their travels. For true ease in traveling, I would keep them in their original containers. Get the smallest bottle available from the pharmacy and just take what you need plus a few extra (in case of delay or other issue). It won't take up nearly as much space as you think. I take at least that many bottles with me when traveling.

I agree that best practice is to keep them in the original containers, but in real life, I never do that unless I am traveling internationally. I go through MCO 3-4 times a year and never have any issues.

My friend travels with some very very strong pain meds she keeps them in the daily pill container ( it has 4 little slots and she has about 4 pills in each one) she keeps this with her + a copy of her prescription paper work and she know what each pill is so she can tell someone, then she keeps the pill bottles in her luggage. ( this is what she dose when she flys and goes to disney)

Most pain meds are categorized as controlled substances. Anything with a decent potency should be treated as a controlled substance. I don't know of a state where it is LEGAL to carry a controlled substance outside of a prescription bottle. Doing so, is an invitation for trouble. With the crackdown on getting these types of scripts filled and the DEA 'watching' how many scripts Drs write for these substances, I wouldn't take that type of chance. They mean business when dealing with controlled sustances such as pain meds. And carrying the script is not the same as having it in the pharmacy bottle. Check state laws. I know for fact Florida requires controlled substances to remain in their original container from the pharmacy.

Most pain meds are categorized as controlled substances. Anything with a decent potency should be treated as a controlled substance. I don't know of a state where it is LEGAL to carry a controlled substance outside of a prescription bottle. Doing so, is an invitation for trouble. With the crackdown on getting these types of scripts filled and the DEA 'watching' how many scripts Drs write for these substances, I wouldn't take that type of chance. They mean business when dealing with controlled sustances such as pain meds. And carrying the script is not the same as having it in the pharmacy bottle. Check state laws. I know for fact Florida requires controlled substances to remain in their original container from the pharmacy.
I am just saying what my friend dose she and I both live on Florida I have some pain meds that are controlled substance ( only 2) I was just saying what my friend dose. I do not know if the op has controlled meds or not if not then having them in a pill container and then extra in bottles would not be a bad idea ( you should always have extra meds incase something happens).

One of my daughters meds always tests positive for explosives, not sure which it is but it always causes them to scrutinize all her meds closely. Safest bet is to keep them all in original bottles. Because of the test they Give us a more thorough screening, which can take a while so give yourself extra time. You can carry on as many medical bags as you needfor free, just make sure it still fits the size rules and only has medical stuff. We always have one carry on devoted solely to medss

Yes medicain and medical supplies flies free in the cabain with you. I was going to point that out. I would never check any medicain or medical supplies you never know what bag could get lost.

I have a home in FL as well. The issue is ignorance of the law is no excuse. If an individual chooses not to follow the law, well that is on them. But it is never wise nor considerate to suggest that someone else not follow the law because you will not be suffering the potential consequences on their behalf.
I know someone who got pulled over, they were searched and then "arrested" for not carrying their prescribed controlled substance correctly...in the prescription bottle. They were able to get it all sorted out, but not until after the inconvenience of a trip to the police station and having their car towed/impounded.
It's just not wise to suggest to people not to follow the law. And Florida says ALL (not some) controlled substances are to be stored in an original prescription bottle.

One of my daughters meds always tests positive for explosives, not sure which it is but it always causes them to scrutinize all her meds closely. Safest bet is to keep them all in original bottles. Because of the test they Give us a more thorough screening, which can take a while so give yourself extra time. You can carry on as many medical bags as you needfor free, just make sure it still fits the size rules and only has medical stuff. We always have one carry on devoted solely to medss
I have a medical bag as well for flying. Just don't put ANYTHING at all non medical in there and the airline can't count it against you. The minute you put something nonmedical in, they can. And just trying remove it, "if caught" is too late. And medical equipment should be carried on if at all possible as it is too easy for something to get broken, disappear or get lost/misdirected.
Meds have been known to get stolen from checked baggage. Huge black market for lots of drugs! They take the meds and figure out what they are later!!

I was saying what my friend dose it is up to each poster to decided what they think is best

On another not I have had the FBI and DEA come up to me with controlled meds in a pill box I just had my scrip to get filled they checked that I had a scrip for meds ( I had 2 piles on me ) and they were fine with that agai. I am just saying what my friend did and what happens to me. The OP needs to decid what works best for them I think you should all way have your bottles with you and I know how much time it can take to fill pill containers up which is why I suggested having the container filled for the week and the pill bottles with it.

Both hubby and I take numerous med -- both scripts and OTC -- we always make a trip to the drug store and ask for the smallest pill bottle empty with a duplicate label for the medication and then just pour in enough plus extra for 2 days (in case of delays in flights or whatever) I dump those plus the bottle of vitamins, pain killers, IBS meds (get the picture LOTS) into 2 freezer sized ziploc baggies (yes we have THAT MANY to take with us even on short trips) We can't risk being without our medications so I'd rather do it to the letter of law in regards to the TSA site. Once of the first things i do when we arrive is to fill up the weekly pill containers and toss them on the counter/table so they're handy. I keep the bottles in the safe --- don't take any controlled substances but still can't risk being without them.

Am i a tad neurotic over this? Most likely, but i'd rather not worry about needing to figure out how to get my scripts filled at a pharmacy while away because they were seized because a border officer isn't sure what that tiny purple pill is.

Have a wonderful trip!

my father has more meds than that. he has a literal old fashioned train case that ladies used to use for their make up as his portable pharmacy. as a former member of the professional medical community he NEVER travels without original bottles and current copies of the Rx on hand to include pictures of the pill next to each description. we have all heard tales of Agents tossing meds out of the daily holders onto the dirty table and pawing them in their searches.

Have no problem mixing OTC meds in a bottle but no way would my Rx ones ever be in anything but their first home.

I have over a dozen meds I have to bring with me -- Rx, OTC and prescribed vitamins. I also have additional medical items that I travel with. And I live in Canada and most of my plane travel is to the USA, so there are borders involved.

I travel with Rx and OTC meds in their original bottles: for each Rx med I have had the pharmacy give me an empty labeled bottle of the smallest size (8 dram); I refill each from my larger normal bottles before each trip. For OTC meds, I have bought one bottle of the smallest size and then just refill it from the larger normal bottles. I bring trip length + 1 week worth.

For the vitamins, their original bottles are HUGE and some of them are glass, so bringing those is not an option. Instead, I created 4x6 "cards" printedd on photo paper for each vitamin: a picture of the bottle and a table of ingredient info from the manufacturer's website, plus name and dose info. Those cards travel in the container I carry the vitamins in. The vitamins themselves, each one gets it own ziploc snack-size baggie which is in turn put into a quart baggie. Both are labeled with what it is (I used address labels and printed them myself). they are all run of the mill vitamins, so no issues there.

The Rx pre-filled syringes stay in their original boxes (one per).

When I arrive at my destination, I fill a one week Dosett-Maxi with my meds (they just fit :-( ). If I don't do this I invariably end up accidentally missing a med at a some point. At home I use the same Dosett-Maxi. Yes, it takes some time at destination to do this (and refill it if the trip is longer than a week), but I just consider it some good down time and factor it in to our plans.

All of this plus some additional medical items takes up a small rolling carry-on bag (fits under the seat size). I have a luggage tag I got online that says "MEDICAL" that I attach to the outside of the bag. It travels free and is not counted towards my carry-on allowance. As others have noted, a medical bag is ONLY allowed to contain medical items, NOTHING ELSE. And airlines are allowed to check the contents to confirm that. I have only run into issues three times when an airline employee did not know the law and their own policy, but one of their co-workers quickly educated them and I was able to board; have never had the airline actually inspect the contents, but I know they can.

I do not check any medical items -- things sometimes happen to checked bags (delays, theft, lost, dropped, smushed), and they undergo extremes of temperature and pressure which can have a negative impact on many medications or medical equipment. So carry-on it is.

SW

@Starwind -- From a fellow CDN traveler with multiple medical supplies to transport : Which airline do you use and is this information on their website (i want all my ducks in a row) AND most important, do you know if this covers large bottles of liquid OTC meds? Hubby needs to have Kaopectate
handy and while it's sold in the states, the active ingredients there is only bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto) which doesn't cut it. I've been sticking it in the checked bags wrapped in towels and stuffed in a freezer bag and not only is it heavy, but i worry about it getting cold! I would love to be able to free up some of our carry-on space from the numerous bottles of OTC meds (which i also keep in smaller manufacturer original bottles) since i keep all of those in the cabin with us.

Thanks for your help :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter