Tokyo day trip suggestions and must do's

frangipanisam

Mouseketeer
Just looking for some advice on things to do and see in Tokyo. My girlfriend and I have just booked a Sydney-Hong Kong-Tokyo-Sydney trip ($807 for flights!) and are just starting to research beyond Disneyland.

As we changed our dates slightly to get the low airfares we now only have one full day to see Tokyo. We'll be doing three days in the park, staying at the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay and are also looking for ideas for what to do on our connecting day as we will be flying out of Narita at 4:55 pm.

Our travel agent thinks we might be there for cherry blossom season, so if we are any suggestions on where to go would be great.

To make the most of our one day we will probably aim to be in the city by around 9 am and go right through until dinner (which will probably somewhere western: Hard Rock or Bubba Gumps).

Suggest away!

Wow. Not long in Tokyo! We've got 3 1/2 days and I'm worried we won't see what we want. But I guess you've got Hong Kong too, so that will be great.
Your airfares are amazing. Ours cost about $1000 each just for Melbourne Tokyo return.
I think it depends on what you are interested in, when deciding what to do in Tokyo.
We'll be staying in Shinjuku, so will spend a bit of time there. Will also visit Shibuya to see the famous Shibuya crossing and the Hachiko statue. Another area we'll visit is Akihabara and Harajuku, as my son is into techie stuff, Anime, and all that 'only in Japan' stuff. Then lastly probably O'Daiba for the Science museum and Sega Joypolis.
As you can see, our Tokyo stay will be mainly material type stuff. We're then heading to Osaka so will see Kyoto and Hiroshima for the natural part of Japan.
I think you might be a little bit late for Sakura. I think it's late March/early April. I think by mid April they may be all gone.

Hmmm... One day in Tokyo is going to be tight but this is what I would suggest. Get an early start and be at Shibuya crossing during "rush hour." See Hachiko while you're there. Travel north to Harajuku/Takeshita Street. Next, on to Shinjuku. Visit the Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden and then go up to the 45th floor of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building to get an overview of the city (it's pretty impressive, I promise). Then, head east to Akihabara. Chances are you'll pass through Tokyo Station before heading back to your hotel. Take some time to look around the shops and, if you've haven't yet eaten, have dinner here. Train stations in Tokyo will have better food options than a Hard Rock.

Thanks for the replies. My focus was always 100% Disney :D so anything else is a bonus!

We had planned on at least 2 days in the city , possibly 3, but $500 + what we'd spend in the 3 days we cut made it easy to swap. We're both school teachers so finding cheap school holiday flights is a big deal! I'll look into your suggestions TipsyTraveler as I don't know anyone who has been to Tokyo before. At least Hong Kong I have a few people to get ideas from. Do you have any recommendations for shopping?

For anime and manga fans, visit Nakano broadway.

Im sorry but I wouldnt bother with the Shinjuku nat. garden.
It all depends on your interest of course.
What you MUST do (to eat) is visit the food basement of one of the big department stores in Tokyo (best those connected either to the Shimjuku or Tokyo station), you cant even start to imagine how it is.
One day in Tokyo depends on interest. Harajuku is ok, but unless its a sunday, not much youll see (its on sunday when teens coseplay) except shops.
I would go to either the metropolitan building, Tokyo Tower or the new Skytree to see the views.
Perhaps yes, visit Shibuya for the crossing, but thats only a short time.
Theres no time for Odaiba, as it would require a whole day alone.
Akihabara if youre into tech stuff, otherwise I wouldnt waste my time.
If you want the traditional Japan then visit Asakusa (which Id then combine with a trip to the Skytree).

As for the poster above, I wouldnt bother much in Osaka, its a waste of days if youve visited Tokyo. WOuld do it only as a daytrip. I would base myself in Kyoto, from where would visit Osaka, depending on time definitely Himeji castle, its unbelievably gorgeous.
Hiroshima if staying overnight definitely on Miyajima island.
We have travelled all over Japan from north to south (Kyushu), to non touristy areas, etc so if you have more questions feel free to ask.
We also have a facebook group concerning HK and Tokyo Disney resorts and overall travel in the areas.

Btw, nobody of you guys going to the Ghibli or Doraemon museum (as I see some are into manga/anime)?

Again, what to see in Tokyo depends on personal interestsl so if you can tell us more what youd like to see, we could give more info.

Thanks for the replies. My focus was always 100% Disney :D so anything else is a bonus!

We had planned on at least 2 days in the city , possibly 3, but $500 + what we'd spend in the 3 days we cut made it easy to swap. We're both school teachers so finding cheap school holiday flights is a big deal! I'll look into your suggestions TipsyTraveler as I don't know anyone who has been to Tokyo before. At least Hong Kong I have a few people to get ideas from. Do you have any recommendations for shopping?
I would do my shopping in Tokyo Station. The train stations in Tokyo are probably unlike anything you're picturing when you think of a train station -- they're like mini cities unto themselves with shops, restaurants, etc. At Tokyo Station they also have Tokyo Character Street, an arcade of shops selling pop culture merchandise like Pokemon, Hello Kitty, and the like.

So, you only have 1.5 days for Tokyo exploration (i.e. one full day and the day you depart)?

What do you like to do? What are you interests? There is a LOT to see and do in Tokyo!

What kind of shopping did you want to do? Clothes? Home wares? Toys? Most central suburbs have a grouping of the more common stores like UniQlo, H&M, Muji, Bic Camera, etc where you should be able to do lots of shopping. Ginza is *the* shopping area, although it is a bit more upmarket than other districts.

I always find Trip Advisor to be a good starting point:

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Tourism-g298184-Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto-Vacations.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g298184-Activities-Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Guide-g298184-k446-Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

If you google "24 hours in Tokyo" and "36 hours in Tokyo" you should also get a bunch of articles, for example:

http://www.traveller.com.au/24-hours-in-tokyo-15ktw

http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...okyo-in-24-hours/story-e6frfqdi-1227485493744

Also, will your one day in Tokyo be before or after your time at Disney. If it is after your time at Disney, then you may be feeling exhausted and you legs and feet may be aching from your time at the parks. That will probably influence what you want to see and do in Tokyo (especially how far you're willing to travel to see different sights and attractions).

Thanks for the replies so far :) there is just so much information I though that getting some direction on here might help to sort it all out!

So far TipsyTravelers ideas sound great. Shibuya crossing, Hachiko, national gardens, somewhere to see the view as Auringo suggested. Also thinking of visiting Meiji-jingu Shrine. Interest wise, open to anything. Anime is not really our thing but won't say no to anything just yet.

Yes Agent 86, we'll have 1.5 days. The full day will be the day after we arrive from Hong Kong. Followed by three days in the parks. Thanks for those links I'll have a look at them. Shopping would mainly be clothes I guess and gifts, possibly homewares as we are both waiting for the real estate market in Sydney to cool off to purchase our first homes on our own. Our previous trip to the States was mainly Disney, clothes and cosmetic purchases.

The last day is the day we fly out and as we're flying out of Narita in the afternoon, I am hesitant to travel too far. Unless we were up quite early I'm thinking the morning in one of the parks and some local shopping (no clue if there is any yet!) might be a safer choice.

Any Tokyo trip reports would be great too. I'm slowly going through the board but if you have one please share it in here :goodvibes

Last edited:
The last day is the day we fly out and as we're flying out of Narita in the afternoon, I am hesitant to travel too far. Unless we were up quite early I'm thinking the morning in one of the parks and some local shopping (no clue if there is any yet!) might be a safer choice.

There are some shopping opportunities one stop away from TDR at Shin-Urayasu (https://sites.google.com/site/elidun/urayasu-index/shopping). Also, one stop the other direction is the Tokyo Sea Life Park/Rinkai Park (https://www.tokyo-zoo.net/english/kasai/main.html).

Don't forget while your there to check out their convenience stores or otherwise known as konbini, such as 7/11, Family Mart and Lawsons. Their products, prices and quality are almost a tourist attraction themselves! So here's a quick and easy one!

We spent one day while we were in Tokyo doing a Gray Line tour - it went to Tokyo Tower, the Meji Shrine, the Imperial Palace, on a river cruise, the Asakusa temple, and a couple of other things. It was a good way to see a lot of the city.

If you are history buffs, you might enjoy spending a few hours at the Edo Tokyo museum.

If it is cherry blossom season, I would suggest the Shinjuku Gyoen. It is extremely gorgeous when all the trees are in bloom - and much less crowded than the parks with festivals. They have many different types of trees so there are things in bloom throughout the entire cherry blossom season.

As our trip is getting quite close we're booking in our last few items. Airport transfers are proving hard to prebook. The travel agent who booked our flights was unable to book them as they don't service the Disney Resort area apparently which is very strange for a company like Escape.

The hotel recommends the airport limousine bus but the last one leaves the airport at 7 pm and by the time we arrive and clear customs it will be gone. Plus you can't pre-book a seat.

Any advice or suggestions? We don't really want to be testing the train system late on a Saturday night with luggage! We're flying into Haneda and out of Narita.

Thanks in advanced!

As our trip is getting quite close we're booking in our last few items. Airport transfers are proving hard to prebook. The travel agent who booked our flights was unable to book them as they don't service the Disney Resort area apparently which is very strange for a company like Escape.

The hotel recommends the airport limousine bus but the last one leaves the airport at 7 pm and by the time we arrive and clear customs it will be gone. Plus you can't pre-book a seat.

Any advice or suggestions? We don't really want to be testing the train system late on a Saturday night with luggage! We're flying into Haneda and out of Narita.

Thanks in advanced!

There are cab companies that will do a transfer, you're looking at between 60-80USD for a 30 minute drive. I'd personally take the public transport, but for easy and convenience then an expensive taxi is you're only alternate option.

Thanks OldSchoolReasons. I might have found a bus that works out. It just means a taxi or a one stop train trip to the hotel after. Hoping the times are correct or it won't work.

Looking for some feedback on our single day Tokyo. If you think there is a must see/do that we haven't included let me know! I also tried to plan out the public transport we'll be using, to try to make our days seamless to get to everything.

Also other than Shinjuku Goyoen gardens where would be a great place to see the cherry blossoms if they are still in bloom?

17th April- Explore Tokyo
-Train Maihama -> Shin-Kiba -> Yurakucho
-Shopping around Tokyo Station
-Walk to Imperial Palace
-Train to Nijubashi-Mae -> Hibiya (switch lines)-> Kamiyacho, walk
-View Tokyo Tower
-Train Kamiyacho to Roppongi, walk
-Lunch at Hard Rock Café, Minato
-Train Roppongi -> Aoyama- Itchome (switch lines) -> Shibuya
-Hachiko statue, Shibuya crossing
-Train Shibuya -> Meiji-Jingumae
-Hirajuku, Takeshita street
-Walk
-Meiji-Jingu shire
-Train Meiji-Jingumae ->Shinjuku-sanchome (switch lines) -> Shinjuku-gyoemmae
-Shinjuku Goyoen gardens
-Train Shinjuku-gyoemmae -> Ginza
-Walk to Ginzaicchom (550 meters)
-Train Ginzaicchom -> Shin-Kiba -> Maihama

I am planning a trip for the same time frame actually. I've never been before but in some of my reading I have seen recommendations for Ueno Park for cherry blossoms. There are other things to see there as well (a shrine or two I believe as well as near a museum) so depending on your tastes, you may get to do other things in that area.

Thanks for the suggestion Lady Marie but Ueno Park is further out than we are planning on going. Given we only have one day in the city we're trying to make the best use of our travel times :)

Here is a cherry blossom forecast for 2016 - http://www.japan-guide.com/sakura/ . Sorry to say you will be missing the prime time for hanami. You will be near yoyogi park which is lovely and almost every weekend they have interesting festivals. I would suggest that as an alternate to hanami.

I knew we were missing the prime time but I hope that there are some blooms still around :-) I was on that website earlier and saw that Yoyogi is close to Meiji-Jingu shrine so we'll probably visit there instead of Shinjuku Goyoen gardens which will help cut down our places to visit. Unless in some crazy event, the cherry blossoms are still in full bloom in Shinjuku Goyoen gardens :smooth:

I knew we were missing the prime time but I hope that there are some blooms still around :-) I was on that website earlier and saw that Yoyogi is close to Meiji-Jingu shrine so we'll probably visit there instead of Shinjuku Goyoen gardens which will help cut down our places to visit. Unless in some crazy event, the cherry blossoms are still in full bloom in Shinjuku Goyoen gardens :smooth:
I've heard Nakameguro/Meguro are good spots to see the canals fill with fallen cherry blossoms. Not to far from Yoyogi via subway/train. Not quite cherry blossom viewing but probably still very pretty to see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter