To the CM's on the board: what is the one "tip" you can give us?

Not a CM, but a couple of tips, some of which were already covered:

2) In most theatre shows, don't be in a hurry to get into the theatres, especially on crowded days. When you enter, you are supposed to move all the way to the end of your row. If you wait and let some people through first, you can get a more central seat.

SkierPete

This can be true, unfortunately it doesn't work most of the time for me:sad2:. I always let a few folks go ahead of me but more than half the time they stop and sit right in the middle, so I end up at the end anyway...lol oh well

OMG!!! That is SO crazy!!!!! Thank you soooo much!!! :worship:

My DH and I took a picture of the dream fastpasses because it meant a LOT to us!! We have it in our scrapbook of our honeymoon!! You really did make our day better, it was great because he could ride rides right away that I can't do - inner ear problems suck, but we got some good use out of them!

Also, the couple that we gave them to afterward was just as grateful - you and your friend were SOOO NICE to have passed those on!! It really is one of our best memories - people being genuinely kind and thoughtful and nice!

Thank you thank you thank you!! :grouphug:

Y'all made me smile with this one. :) What a great story!

OMG!!! That is SO crazy!!!!! Thank you soooo much!!! :worship:

My DH and I took a picture of the dream fastpasses because it meant a LOT to us!! We have it in our scrapbook of our honeymoon!! You really did make our day better, it was great because he could ride rides right away that I can't do - inner ear problems suck, but we got some good use out of them!

Also, the couple that we gave them to afterward was just as grateful - you and your friend were SOOO NICE to have passed those on!! It really is one of our best memories - people being genuinely kind and thoughtful and nice!

Thank you thank you thank you!! :grouphug:

Y'all made me smile with this one. :) What a great story!

This is awesome! I got chills reading it! :angel:

Another tip is to know and understand how the dining plan works and then keep track of things. CM's were so happy I had it all worked out. One CM even gave me churros because I told him how many snack credits I had left. He was just shocked that I wasn't totally confused. Maybe I was nice, too. :confused3

I second the thing about being nice to the CM's. It's important to understand who your "friends" are at WDW, and besides the smiling, super nice people you meet standing in lines or on the bus, the CM's are your best shot at having a good time. 99% will go out of their way to help you if they can. How cool is that???

Does anyone notice how "infectious" nice people are at WDW? I think a lot of us try to be that gracious in real life, but somehow it's more "real" at WDW.

I'm wondering about the sharing of table services. We are going with a group of 10. Some of those 10 are visiting friends for a few days so there will certainly be TS's left over. I didn't think that you can share them. Are the really strict about this at the restaurants? Obviously CS's are alot easier to share.

We've never been able to get them to allow us to share TS credits. One time, we even asked them to deliver our dessert to another table and they wouldn't do it. We thought the people would think we were crazy if we gave them the dessert from our table, but we really didn't need it.

Another tip is to know and understand how the dining plan works and then keep track of things. CM's were so happy I had it all worked out. One CM even gave me churros because I told him how many snack credits I had left. He was just shocked that I wasn't totally confused. Maybe I was nice, too. :confused3

I'm just planning our first tip to wdw and considering everything. We are hoping to stay somewhere with a kitchenette or at least a fridge to pack our own lunches/snacks. I know disneyland was expensive but not to bad is it really worthwhile to have the dining plan i'm thinking we'd use it for supper mostly I'm just not sure what about the plan is so great does it cost less or something?

How do you share your TS meals. If you have 5 on your plan is that not all they allow you to use in one sitting?:confused3

You just tell the server to use your dining credits for their meal. They don't mind it at all once you tell them why. They get a big tip out of it from the non paying table. i have never had them turn me down, not did they turn down the people that did this for us the first time at Sci Fi.::thumbsup2

I'm just planning our first tip to wdw and considering everything. We are hoping to stay somewhere with a kitchenette or at least a fridge to pack our own lunches/snacks. I know disneyland was expensive but not to bad is it really worthwhile to have the dining plan i'm thinking we'd use it for supper mostly I'm just not sure what about the plan is so great does it cost less or something?

If you want to eat at a sit-down restaurant (aka Table Service @ WDW) for at least one meal every day, the DDP makes sense. If you are more "fast food" (aka Counter Service @ WDW) type people, then paying out-of-pocket is more frugal. Of course, WDW now offers a Quick-Service Dining plan, which include TWO CS meals per person per day. If you don't think you want any sit-down meals or maybe only on one or two nights, the QSDP might work well for you. I know my family was able to split CS meals pretty often because they are just too big. My 3 kids and I would split 2 adult combo meals and I'd just use my refillable mugs for the "extra" drinks I needed. (We usually ate lunch back at our resort as part of our break. We used our TS for dinners or breakfasts.) Also, if you have several children aged 3-9, the DDP makes very good economic sense. They only cost $10 per day for the DDP, and I'd wager it would be a real challenge to feed a kid 1CS, 1TS and 1 snack each day with $10.

unless you are like our family. we are water snobs and can't stand tap water:snooty:. since my wife got me on bottled spring water, tap water or fountain drinks taste aweful to me.

I should have clarified... it's water from the soda fountain machine... not from the tap. But if you order a water they'll give you a bottle. If you order tap water they give you the water from the machine and that's free!

I'm not a big fan of the water from the fountains (but when I'm thirsty anything works), however, the stuff from the machines seems to taste much better to me; I'm not sure where it comes from (as in, whether it's tap or filtered).

...They were staying off-property and would not be on the dining plan. I suggested that they go online and look at the menus and food prices before they left home.

I said, "Make peace with the money before you go."

Excellent advice! :thumbsup2

(And we always peruse the menus online before we go to plan our food budget.)

i think that if you ask at any CS, they will give you a cup of ice water for free. does anyone know if the snack carts do this as well? it's so important to stay hydrated in the heat when you spend so much energy walking around.

As long as it's a snack cart with fountain soda, they should be able to. If they're just selling bottled drinks from a cooler it won't be possible.

Not a CM, but have been to WDW a lot. Please use both sides of the register at CS places. The cashier will turn to the left, then the right to take orders. Why stand in a longer line if you don't have to?

Also, when they say use all available space, they mean it. Like outside of HM pass the turnstiles. Not sure why people always assume that all attracations have to be single file lines...

omg.....the HM line...that is soooo true. they always say fill in all the space...well I always walk by all the single file people and usually up to the front on the sides and squish in like I am being told. sooo many people give you dirty looks..but hey...I am not doing anythign wrong...just listening to directions....

just like when you go in the line with no people because everyone else was afraid.....I always get a kick out of that...gosh...that makes me sound evil.....;):rotfl2:

Here's something that's less of a tip, but more of a request.

Please don't try to get us to "break character." Even those of us who aren't characters are involved with a storyline, especially the attractions CMs. I work on the safari and I always have people trying to get me to tell them "the real deal"

Yes, the safari is actually 2 weeks long (but its so fun you'll feel like it was only about 20 minutes)
Yes, those baobab trees and ostrich eggs are real (even though the backstage tour told you differently)
Those chains on the ground are only to get mud off our tires (but you'll notice that animals don't cross them into other areas)

There is only one Mickey Mouse and no amount of you winking or making sure there are only adults around will change that. He doesn't wear a costume, there is no one inside of him and the Cinderella you just saw was the same one you saw yesterday.

We love our jobs and we preserve the magic for everyone, not just those young enough not to know better. Of course, this doesn't mean that you'll never hear a backstage tip from a CM, but just because you tell me you've been to Disney 50 times and understand and there are no children around does not necessarily mean I'm going to break character to "let you in on it." If you want the real deal, take a backstage tour, buy a book or surf the net. It's all out there.

Here's something that's less of a tip, but more of a request.

Please don't try to get us to "break character." Even those of us who aren't characters are involved with a storyline, especially the attractions CMs. I work on the safari and I always have people trying to get me to tell them "the real deal"

Yes, the safari is actually 2 weeks long (but its so fun you'll feel like it was only about 20 minutes)
Yes, those baobab trees and ostrich eggs are real (even though the backstage tour told you differently)
Those chains on the ground are only to get mud off our tires (but you'll notice that animals don't cross them into other areas)

There is only one Mickey Mouse and no amount of you winking or making sure there are only adults around will change that. He doesn't wear a costume, there is no one inside of him and the Cinderella you just saw was the same one you saw yesterday.

We love our jobs and we preserve the magic for everyone, not just those young enough not to know better. Of course, this doesn't mean that you'll never hear a backstage tip from a CM, but just because you tell me you've been to Disney 50 times and understand and there are no children around does not necessarily mean I'm going to break character to "let you in on it." If you want the real deal, take a backstage tour, buy a book or surf the net. It's all out there.

From a CM fan...I want to thank you! It's CM's likeyou that make our trips so very magical!! :wizard:

I always thought those trees were real! I just feel like I've been told there's no S.C.!:eek:

I should have clarified... it's water from the soda fountain machine... not from the tap. But if you order a water they'll give you a bottle. If you order tap water they give you the water from the machine and that's free!

I'm not a big fan of the water from the fountains (but when I'm thirsty anything works), however, the stuff from the machines seems to taste much better to me; I'm not sure where it comes from (as in, whether it's tap or filtered).

I am willing to bet that water from the soda fountain is still tap water. It may be filtered, not sure. Even when we get soda from a restaurant we can taste it if it is really horrid water. There are some towns in our area where the tap water is bad and the soda tastes awful, usually a bitter taste mixed in.

Actually, a tip about Cast Members:

One of the things our family does is carry some note cards with us to write down the names of CMs who go above and beyond, and "shine" at what they're doing. We put down their name, where they were working, and brief description of what was exemplary. We then make a stop at guest relations, on the way out of the park or resort, ask to see a manager, and "turn them in." It never fails to delight Guest Services, and it's good training for my kids in noticing what there is around them to be grateful for.

Great idea, we will do this on our future trips. What we currently do is give very large tips to CM's who do an excellent job at our ADR's. We have tipped as much as 100% of the bill for outstanding service.

One time the CM had the chef come out and talk to my DS and a little while later the chef came back with a home made dipping sauce made from the description of 'nonnas' dipping sauce back home.

Another time the CM overheard our other DS wanting something that was not on the menu and when our food was served, the CM brought both what our DS ordered and a surprise of what he was asking Daddy (me) about. You should have seen the eyes light up and smile break through on our DS's face. That was the 100% tip meal.

You just tell the server to use your dining credits for their meal. They don't mind it at all once you tell them why. They get a big tip out of it from the non paying table. i have never had them turn me down, not did they turn down the people that did this for us the first time at Sci Fi.::thumbsup2

Please be careful with this "tip"
There was a time when it was true however if a CM does this now and is reported he or she will be reprimanded. It is not allowed any longer and is considered to be a serious breach of conduct.

...the only tip I have for people is to not go expecting a perfect trip, because if your expectations are too high you're not going to have fun. Disney has it tough. They put themselves in a situation where 200% perfect service is expected and not everything can go right. I have seen many guests breakdown for things as simple as a food stand running out of ketchup or the lines being shut down for characters.
This is probably the single biggest and best tip on the thread. Seriously.

Don't sweat the small stuff.
Go to the left??? Seriously? Do people subliminally pick "right" for some reason or are the left lines built to be shorter?
Both sides are often the same length, but yes, when given a choice, most folks will go to the right.
You win more flies with honey than vinegar... have a positive attitude and you will have a much better time.

Make sure your expectations are reasonable.
Great tips. I like to say that requests are usually cheerfully honored, while demands will be pointedly ignored. On the other hand...
A request is merely a request. It does not guarantee that you will get what you are asking for.
Also true. Hope for the best, but be ready to accept a "no."
Please don't try to get us to "break character." Even those of us who aren't characters are involved with a storyline, especially the attractions CMs.
In a similar vein... It can be hard for the CMs to keep character when you're happily dashing the magic to pieces on the ground for your children. Please avoid saying things like "It's all fake" or "They're just people in costumes" or "No, we're not in Africa, we're in Florida."

Ditch the schedule.

I've seen so many people rushing to get here or there and have heard people talking about how we have to get on this so we can get to that.

We have had excellent experiences with CM's and charactors because we simply slow down a little and enjoyed the park.

Example: Last trip we were at MK, just starting our day and decided to go into the shop where you pick up your Photo Pass pictures (can't remember the name right now). Well we were in no hurry, we had no agenda that day so we decided to see if they had any good pins to trade. We stopped and talked to a CM traded a few pins and my family started looking at others pins. We were all done and just kind of loitering around when the 1st CM we talked to came out and said, "you're still here". I said we were and that we were just kind of hanging out and he told me to get my family and meet him around the corner. We all got together and said he would be right back. He came back about 2 minutes later with Snow White. We were kind of back around the corner so nobody saw us. She was on her way out front but he brought her out to see my 2 year old daughter. She stayed with us for about 5 minutes and knelt down on the ground with my daughter and let my daughter show her all her pins. It may have been the cutest thing I've ever seen.

I can come up with about 2 dozen more stories just like this because we slowed down and simply enjoyed the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter