To Pin or Not to Pin

Forever a Princess

One bottle of ketchup is not enough!
Ok-when we go to Disney I've been looking at the nifty pins and lanyards.

I've held back previously but I'm not so sure that I can do this on our next trip.

The problem is that once I buy one, I'm sure that I''ll see another and another etc.

They would be cool to display when I'm at Disney but I'm not sure what I would do with the pins and lanyard when I get home.

Please talk me into this pin thing.

Renee

I started buying pins when the Disney store came out with their 1st big collection in 2000 and started the 'pin craze'. Then we went to the World and I started buying!!! I would just buy 1 (at every stinking cart) you don't realize when you're there in vacation mode how much you are spending. I added them all up when I got home and..oh my..let's not talk about it :D They are actually still in the yellow Mickey bag that I put them in my suitcase in. I looked at them the other day and thought 'why did I buy all these?"

I bought pins of my favorite rides, hotels I've stayed at, classic styles.. I kept coming up "I'll only buy pins of this style or that style"

So be careful!!!! I fyou think you can just buy a few then go for it but just think about what you're going to do with these "collectables" once you get home!

Pins, pins and more pins........................nope, just a few for my kids. We got the kids a lanyard and six pins each on cheappins.com. I bought the cheapest ones I could. The most expensive one I got was 2.55. I don't care what they trade for or keep. Of course I got a couple I thought they would keep. I am buying them ONE a piece on each WDW trip. The fun is the trading. They sure will enjoy showing friends their pins and it will be a great memory for them.

I have quite a few pins from my trips this year. I have just taken them off the lanyard and have hung corkboard on the wall, covered in black felt. I just stick the pins in there. That way I get to display all my pins (like the entire Star Wars weekend collection) and store my pins until my next trip.

Besides the ones for SWW, I did not buy very many pins at the actual parks. I too went to cheappins.com, bought the collection of 100 pins and split them up with my friends. We each got 20 pins to trade and we had a blast doing it. It was always cool to see what pins we could get, especially since we were doing it solely for pins that we thought at the time were cool. On my next trip, a couple of those pins will go back with me and I will see what kind of new ones I can find. It gives you something else to do while waiting in lines and are cheap souveniers if you go the route I went

are the "grab bag" type deals worth it..totally new to pins and was afraid they might be all the ones no one wanted or are ugly or something.
thanks

The pins that I got were not the best pins in the world. Most were older (calendars from 2002), but when you trade with a CM, they will take whatever pin you give them. Some were cute, but in the end, I traded all mine away to keep with the "theme" of the song pins that I started for some strange reason

Well..I started pin collecting during the first year that Disney was pushing it in the parks. I had bought some discounted Donald pins at the Disney Store to trade and I got caught up in the frenzy at the parks and bought even more and I thought that I went over board spending $60 on pins. A year later I took DH(pre-wedding) and he laughed at me until after he witnessed my first trade then he started buying pins for himself. I no longer buy pins or trade..however my DH and my stepson now get into the 'frenzy' each trip...they spend anywhere between $300 and $600 during each trip on pins...it's alot of money for things that stay in their cases until a week before each trip. They love those tables outside of the pinshop at the Marketplace..they actually feel that they can compete with those pin people who roll in suitcases full of pins..lol.. and they were actually impressed with the man who was going to lose his house because he was spending his mortgage payment on pins..yikes! Anyway we had to cancel our Christmas trip this year because of some attendance and grade issues with stepson...but I was actually happy to cancel since the pin purchases have become a great source of financial stress for me during our trips(yes the pin buying has ruined the last two trips for me because DH doesn't care about souvenir budgets once he starts buying). I guess if you buy a few and trade for fun it's great. DH and SS however turned pin trading into a status thing..they only buy and don't trade at all..yet will display their best pins on their lanyards around the parks. I knew that I was in trouble when DH announced that if he ever won the lottery he would hire someone to go to the parks each day and to each even to get every single pin released....well if he won the lottery..I would apply for the position of pin buyer but only to go to the parks everyday lol...but that is one scary statement for DH to make.

Stacy
Who gave up adding to her Disney ornament collection in order to fit pins into the budget.

I've purchased one the past three trips, then I had a vintage one that belonged to my late cousin (of Spaceship Earth with Future World written across it, very cool) and a Disney Visa one given to me, then my grandfather bought me two, then I got the Sleeping Beauty pin with my DVD and my boyfriend gave me his Lion King one from his DVD. AND I got the Tink lanyard, which I love. Overall mine's not been that expensive since I've done it slowly.

I sya don't do it unless you buy very cheap traders or have lots and lots of Money...

We got a lot of pins at the Disney store really cheap before they stopped selling pins. We got them as low as 75 cents each and have close to one hundred to trade with the CM's...(Real collectors already have the one from the Disney Store)

We have divided these pins over 3 trips and then some.

We have gotten lots of nice ones and are happy with them and I also buy 5 each trip. (Usually event we have attended like President's day, Valentine's day and MNSSHP...) but I don't buy any other pins...It's an expensive hobby and I think that we have already spent toooo much and want to stop after my pins are gone.

Just my 1 cent...Spent the other one on pins.;)

I have never done the pin-trading thing, and have always wondered how it works. Do you just go up to random people/CMs and try and work out a trade? Do other people just come up to you and work out a deal as well? I have never seen this, and am trying to imagine how this all works. Thanks in advance for the info!

Scrump,
The CM's will take any pin you have for any pin they have. The other people in the parks may or may not trade. You have to work out a deal with them and yes, someone may come directly up to you and ask if they see one they like. It would be your option to decline or accept the offer. Sometimes, if they want one bad enough.....you can get multiple pins for your one pin and vice versa.

:teeth:

Hmm, pins, when my 3 ds ask about this I remind them about pokemon cards, beanie babies etc. SOrry but I feel mickey already has most of my money with what they charge between their rooms and food for a family of 5. I would rather have lots of picture memories etc. But to each his own. I really loved a story of a wonderful woman who had one goal of her trip, to share all the pins she had with complete strangers. That was magical.

luvmarypoopins,

I agree Disney does cost alot.

My kids have no collections, so I will allow one pin that I buy per trip (we don't live in FL and will be able to only go once a year, if that). I think they will have the most fun just trading, not buying.

I was the crazy one with Beanie Babies. :teeth: Now, what do I do with them? They just sit. Do I sell them? Is the demand still out there for the retireds? My little dilemma.

It is quite nice to buy a pin for someone you don't even know and then when you find your person......give it to them. For example, a bride and groom.....someone celebrating a birthday...... an anniversary.......etc. The surprise on their face is something you can never forget.

TO INFINITY AND BEYOND!!!

We started collecting pins on our honeymoon from the places we visited. We put them on an Austrian hat since we thought of the idea in Austria. We have pins from just about everywhere we have been. We started collecting Disney pins several years ago when we visited with our kids- we use the same guidelines- pins to marks the hotels we stayed at, special events we loved- such as the Tapestry of Nations parade and then a theme pin- so about 3-4 total. We put them on the lanyard and then at home transfer them to Captain Hook hats that we had personalized. The kids really enjoy seeing their hat fill up with pins. The hats sit on a stuffed animal in their bedroom for display- seeing the pins brings up nice conversation about the trip, or things that we might want to do in the future. T- shirts, and the like wear out- but pins are easy to keep, easy to display and are an ever lasting memory.

just thoughts!::MinnieMo

Thank you all for your posts.

As with all things everything is good in moderation.

I can't see myself buying over two to three pins per trip. Enough to give me both great memories but not too much that it would break my budget.

Renee

We love to pin trade. We have more pins than I care to mention! We wear them often. (not all at one time, of course!) We started trading during our trip in November 1999, so it was still a new concept. We had a blast. We spoke to people we never would have before. We got great tips on which pins to be on the look out for. (mistake pins, cast member pins, hard to find pins) We keep seeing the same people in all of the parks and asking how they did trading that day. It was wonderful.

During this trip, our DD got to drive the horse drawn trolly down Main Street, all by herself. The driver only had his hand on the brake. The photographer broke her neck running down Main Street to get a picture. We framed the picture with a Disney tranportation pin! It is quite striking.

We have not found the same enthusiasm for trading in subsequent trips. Which is disappointing. We trade with CM's but haven't really found people in the parks like that first time. Still our lanyards are all full ready for the next trip.

I must admit, it is habit forming!

I've been collecting pins for several years now. Not just Disney Pins, but also pins from places I visit, various Hard rock Cafes, etc.

Just back from WDW and bought about 5 new pins. Also traded for 6. I like the trading aspects and have narrowed down the types of pins I want to collect.

I collect and trade for pins I like, not just those that are "valuable" or limited edition.

The only thing I don't like is the attitude of some traders who have all rare or special pins. On my recent trip I was in DtD and there was a man outside the pin store at one of the trading tables. I went over and he let me look through his very large book of pins. Since i collect Goofy pins, I commented about how he only had 1 Goofy pin in his book. He then pointed out another one that I missed and commented, "but none of your pins are strong enough to trade for either of these". It wasn't so much what he said, but the tone in which he said it - like my pins were worthless.

I had some general pins and some cast member lanyard pins to trade. I know they weren't rare or valuable, but I collect for the enjoyment I get from it, not to make a buck.

I'll keep trading as long as I have fun doing it. When the fun is gone, the pins will probably go the way of my old sports card collection - to a youngster just starting to collect.
Terri

tek22, your comment reminded me...I was on a site somewhere about pin trading and it mentioned some traders even try to rip off unsuspecting people for "valuable" pins and even train their children to do ! real "magical" attitudes there! I think I too would just do it for my own enjoyment, not to get something rare or valuable.

I'm looking into this as well. Where is the best place to get a Pooh lanyard? I found a good deal on pins at cheappins.com.

Are there any other suggestions? Can anyone confirm that the cleaning staff at Disney have pins in their pockets? Has anyone ever traded with a cleaning CM?

Thanks!!!

Our kids pin trade and they have traded with everyone from CM's wearing suits to CM's who are cleaning. They love to trade and the CM's are always so nice to them. We have no idea what is valuable we just let them trade for what they like. I don't think they've ever traded with other guests though - just CM's. I'd hate for them to run into a "serious" trader who was rude to them. A few times I've cringed because DD 4 would run up to a CM in a suit who was zipping through the park (probably late for a meeting). She'd flag them down before I had a chance to stop her and instead of rolling their eyes or acting annoyed they'd bend down and kindly talk pins with her. That's what I love about pin trading and Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter