To Parkhop or Not To Parkhop... That is the Question

Dr Gunnie

Still a kid
I login to MDE everyday (don't judge me), and everyday I debate if I should add the parkhopper to my tickets for our trip in December.

We are staying at the Beach Club, and the pro parkhopper side of me thinks when your within walking distance to Epcot and Hollywood, it would be nice to come back in the afternoon from the parks and head back out for dinner and hit a show at night at either Epcot or Hollywood.

The anti parkhopper side wonders if we would really get the $250 out of it that it would cost to add it to our tickets. Plus, we aren't people that hang out all day at the parks - we go early and go back to the resort around 3:00 and rest a bit before dinner. We also have two children that are picky eaters, so there aren't many restaurants at Epcot that would work for the whole family. In addition, we are already planning to hit every park while we are there (MK twice - once the day we arrive for the MVMCP), so it's not like we will miss a park if we don't do it.

Convince me one way or the other on what I should do!

We are going in Nov 2015 and we have decided for the first time not to park hop. Since the parks are so busy anymore we waste a lot of time traveling from park to park. I'm a little nervous about it but am hopeful it works out better.

We have been going hopperless for the last several years. It turns out that my family just was not hopping that much, so it seems like a big fat waste of $250 for us.

You don't say how long you are staying, but we love park hopping and could not imagine it without it really. But we tend to stay for 8+ day trips so we go here and there and back many times. We plan out our parks (have to with FP+ now) but sometimes we might switch up the second park, or leave and do a third park to catch something late. We like going during F&W, so we love the Eat To The Beat concerts, so we often will bounce over to Epcot and catch the last concert set late in the evening.

As for your situation, kids and all, I think maybe you might want to consider waiting and you could always add it on when you are there if you decide you want to park hop :)

I think I'm going to be in this dilemma too when I plan our next vacation. This year and last year we got park hoppers. Last year, we stayed at the Contemporary and were only there for 5 days, so of course we park hopped a lot to MK. This year we stayed at AKL for a week, and we only park hopped once to MK on a Saturday after a day at AK. For next year we are thinking of the GF, and I'm starting to think if we have 7 days for parks, do we really need park hoppers? I'm starting to think we won't need them, even though we are so close to MK.

We used to always got park hoppers, we would end many days at Epcot for dinner. But on recent trips, we've been eating fewer dinners at Epcot, and more dinners at various resort restaurants. On our last trip, we were planning on upgrading our tickets to hoppers when we got to WDW, but decided not to, because we could see everything without spending the extra $64 per person.
It sounds like you don't really need it.

Going forward, I think I would only get hoppers again during a very low crowd period (where we might have done everything in a park, and wanted to go somewhere else, and when everything closes at 7-8pm and Epcot is the only park open "late"), or a very high crowd period (where we could hit morning EMH and leave when park got crowded, or go to one park in morning, take a break, and go to a park open super late).

You could wait until you get down there to decide. Park Hoppers can be added at any time and would cost the same no matter when you did so. If you get there & decide you want to hop, go to guest relations and add it then.

We have hoppers and enjoy the flexibility but for $250- nope. Wouldn't do it. You can always add them when you get to WDW if you feel the need. We are going in December too and though we have APs and can hop I will more than likely just plan one park a day.

I have never been able to justify the cost of adding Park Hoppers. We tend to go for two weeks, so plenty of time to do everything. I just don't feel the need to be in multiple parks in the same day.

Having said that, I think I would really consider it if staying at an Epcot resort. Just being able to hop into Epcot for dinner might make it worth it. However, since your kids are picky eaters, maybe it would not be a positive for you. I agree with the PP who said wait until you get there. It is a quick add if you decide during your trip that you want to use it.

Since I can remember my parents would get park hopper passes when we went. Especially on the day we started out with the Animal Kingdom we would leave there because it closes earlier and head to another park to see a parade or fireworks. Last year I decided to do the same thing when my boyfriend and I went to WDW and we did park hoppers and went to the Animal Kingdom early and then over to Disney Studios for Fantasmic.

We have always done the park hopper, even when my son was little we would go between parks all the time. We were there last week and my son and DIL were on 4 day military hopper tickets. We ended up adding an extra day while we were there and miliary tickets can only be purchased in blocks of 4 days so they had to think long and hard as to whether they wanted a 1 day hopper. I have an AP so it wasn't an issue for me. They ended up getting the 1 day hopper and wouldn't you know it, we didn't hop that day. Best laid plans and all. We planned on going to Epcot during the day, staying and watching the early Herman Hermits show then hopping over to HS to catch Fantasmic. We were bored so ended up doing a DVC tour which lasted longer than expected, missed the show, couldn't decided where we wanted to eat so just went to Mexico for snacks and drinks and by the time we were done it was too late to go to HS. That said, they weren't unhappy with getting the hopper since they knew they could go somewhere else if they wanted to.

I agree with waiting until you actually need to hop to add the hopper - if it turns out that you can do without it, you saved $250.

We have always gotten park hopper, for several reasons 1. We only spend 3 hours at AK and HS and then hop to another park. 2. We would go to one park during the day and another for Extra magic evening hours 3. My kids like to repeat some of the rides at Epcot and MK, so we can travel back and forth.
This years main reason we are staying at Contemporary and we plan on spending a lot of time at Magic Kingdom

We always buy the hopper. It's only 3 of us, so it's a little cheaper than yours, but I can't imagine going without it. With as much planning as you have to do these days, it gives you some freedom to change things up if you'd like.

When are you going in December? We have park hopped and not park hopped during this time. The determining factors (besides having to get it this time for FD) is length of stay and crowd levels. Usually we go without as I find more value in adding a day to our trip to give us some more flexibility at what I believe is a much more relaxed pace than using PH for that flexibility. Also, if crowd levels are very high I also don't see a lot of value because we love RD and try to be out of the parks by late afternoon when the crowds start to peak. In theory we could go back to a different park later that evening, but usually we just want to enjoy dinner and hang at the resort so we can get up early and do RD again the next day.

I would only PH on short trips when crowds are low. - but that is my preference

We have always had hoppers. We tend to end up at MK after AK and EP after DHS trip after trip. I like the freedom of it and for us it's worth it.

How long is your stay?

I've always hopped (it used to be a lot cheaper) with stays of 4-5 days. I love the flexibility. For short stays I use my no-expiration tickets with hoppers.. (not an option anymore).

If I had a long vacation and was staying at resort that is either on the monorail line or within walking/boat distance of a park .. I would ..

It lets you take advantage of night EMH no matter what park you are in during the day .. (if that's your thing)

Hi, I am planning my first trip and was wondering about the hopper part too. I am embarrassed to write this, but it's a 'park' only if there are amusement rides right? Downtown Disney and the Boardwalk is free access. Am I correct?

We are staying at YC and got the hoppers. We have reservations for dinner in Epcot 5 nights. Staying in that area just makes it so easy to eat there, I can't imagine not having the hoppers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter