To insure or not to insure, that is the question

I will definitely be getting it from now on. When something finally does happen, we learn. Let me try to tell you quickly two very good reasons for my decision.

We were on the 11 N. Med. cruise - my friend's dad had to be medically evacuated (luckly they took out the insurance because of his age). He ended up in a hospital in Italy and after a month and thinking he was coming home, he died.

Two - my dh (48) on Tuesday had a heart attack and is still in the hospital. Lucky to be alive. A stent was put in. Had it happened on the cruise, he could/would probably have died and/or cleaned us out since we did not take the extra insurance. I thought about it and I really, really should have for such an expensive vacation and being overseas.

It's a personal/financial decision. Depending on where we are going/type of vacation, we will definitely be getting it.

I buy the insurance....

We were on the hurricane Jeane cruise without insurance--DCL gave us a good deal, but we spend every penny of their partial refund on the room at WDW where we spent 2 days with instructions not to open the door. OK, so I could afford to lose the cost of the cruise--wouldn't want to, but it wouldn't break the bank.

The real issue is that my health insurance (Anthem BC/BS) specifically excludes treatment outside of the US and air ambulance/air evacuation services. These can easily cost $50K depending on the situation and where the ship is located at the time. That's a bill I wouldn't want to pay.

Hey,

OK you've all convinced me--just bought insurance through TravelGuard. Hopefully we won't need it.

Thanks

pirate:

Could you guys please tell who you go with for Travel insurance?? I was just on insuremytrip.com and there is soooo many companies to choose from! I'm torn between Access America and Travel Guard...have any of you gone with these companies and if so, how were they?

I've always gotten mine through Access America, the Family Basics plan where kids are free. Total cost for DS and I for our next cruise is a whopping $84. I've never had to use the insurance, though, so I can't speak for how well they handle claims.

We bought travel insurance for our cruise in January. DD8 got quarantined for the last two days of our four night cruise with norovirus. Between the reimbursement of our travel insurance and the generosity of DCL, we received enough back to pay for half of our make-up trip this October! We definitely recouped the cost of the insurance plus some.

Without the reimbursement, I doubt DH would have cruised again. It was no fun for DD and me to miss half of our family reunion since she couldn't leave the room. Dh was not interested in taking a chance again that one of us might get quarantined.

We will probably always buy travel insurance for a cruise, but I know we will never sail without it during cold and flu season!

I got the insurance from Costco when I booked my cruise, and then when I had to cancel and move the cruise to 08 instead of 07, I lost the $300 cruise insurance. That really hurt!

My partner worked for the vice-president of medical for a large cruise line. After his experiences there, we always have insurance. :sick: It may not be Disney's policy, but there's a policy.

[I suppose I should check w/AmEx and see what coverage I receive automatically when we charge the cruise; we could be doubly insured!:eek: ]

While on our first cruise last fall, I picked up the old stomach bug and was restricted to my cabin for 48 hours. I had the travel insurance, filed a claim and got a check back for almost $500.

You never know when something will go wrong. I would never cruise without the insurace.

we always cruise and travel with insurance. JUST IN CASE. we are cruising the next time with 8 of us in 3 staterooms. Insurance is costing us about $77 per person for the 4 day cruise. But this also includes when we leave home until we arrive home. Total of 8 days.

One note on any travel insurance ... better read the fine print, you might not be as fully covered as you think you are.

More covered than if I just hope for the best and think the Coast guard will take care of me.

They aren't an air ambulance--and they certainly aren't embalming me or transporting my casket.

One note on any travel insurance ... better read the fine print, you might not be as fully covered as you think you are.

VERY good point. One travel insurance company ( I don't know if they are still around) reserved the right to seek restitution from those responsible for them having to pay a claim.
My travel agent had a client who had this insurance, and his boss canceled his vacation two weeks before the cruise. The insurance company paid right up, and turned around and sued the guy's company for cancelling the vacation time. The insurance company won in court. Can you imagine a boss soooooooo evil that they cancel your vacation two weeks before a cruise, and THEN being forced to pay for the loss, plus court costs!!!!

VERY good point. One travel insurance company ( I don't know if they are still around) reserved the right to seek restitution from those responsible for them having to pay a claim.
My travel agent had a client who had this insurance, and his boss canceled his vacation two weeks before the cruise. The insurance company paid right up, and turned around and sued the guy's company for cancelling the vacation time. The insurance company won in court. Can you imagine a boss soooooooo evil that they cancel your vacation two weeks before a cruise, and THEN being forced to pay for the loss, plus court costs!!!!

I love the ending to that story.:rotfl:

Wonder if the client still works for that guy.

I got the insurance from Costco when I booked my cruise, and then when I had to cancel and move the cruise to 08 instead of 07, I lost the $300 cruise insurance. That really hurt!

I guess that might be a good reason for buying through DCL. We've rescheduled and they just transfered the insurance. Plus, we canceled another cruise and they refunded the insurance since we hadn't reached the final payment date yet. I never thought about it, I'm just lazy and bought when I made the reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter