To do Black Friday or not...

Black Friday is usually opening day at our local ski resort. Sadly, November isn't cooperating. :sad1:

I haven't had a chance to look at the ads yet so I'm not sure if I'm shopping or not yet.

I refuse to participate in that nonsense. And I definitely think it's shameful that it's bled into Thanksgiving Day itself.

I totally agree. I feel bad for the workers. My niece works at Walmart and will miss my dinner tomorrow because she has to be there at 1:30pm. I know someone else who has to be at his store at 10:00am to setup.

I don't participate in Thursday shopping. Mostly because by the time my house has emptied out after Thursday dinner I don't want anymore people around me.
Friday morning, sometimes I do head out but it's never for anything big listed and always random things.

Will you go out early on Black Friday to get bargains? I might go to Home Depot and get their 99cent poinsettias. I get fresh wreaths there too - can't remember if those will be real cheap. Otherwise, you won't find me out there!

We'll haul all the Christmas boxes in from the garage so I can get started decorating.
Nope, mainly because there aren't any deals.

For the last five years I've been tracking my Christmas shopping. last year I kept every circular. EVERY LAST ITEM in the black friday circular I found cheaper the last two weeks in December ESPECIALLY electronics.

BF is a marketing ploy.

No thanks, I'm staying home. I might buy something on-line, but the weather is getting lousy, and I'm not aware of anything that I might need to buy that is on sale. Also, I agree with @eliza61--I think prices may very well be lower after this weekend and before Christmas. I have the luxury of going shopping on weekdays during the daytime when it's no hassle to find a parking space, and get the stuff I need without waiting in long lines. I have participated in Black Friday a few times over the years, but I'm over it.

We will go to Cabela's (where DH will pick out all his own gifts for the parents and I to give him, crazy, but he's super hard to shop for) and then Menard's for dog items (toys, beds, etc), some for our dogs, but many to donate to the local shelter because the prices are so good.

Then home for a 2 hour nap ;)!

Terri

I will. I always travel home for Thanksgiving, so my dad and I have a tradition of going black Friday shopping. We usually go around 6am, and have found that the last few years, it's actually a great time to go. The real diehards go out Thanksgiving night and are home by 6am Friday, and everyone else starts hitting the stores more around 9-10am when we're finishing up. So we've had success avoiding lines - all registers are open and the stores are well staffed so it works out well for us.

Maybe. We'll see. I definitely know I WON'T be physically going to the shops - those scenes of scrums last year are just rank.

My daughters and I will wake up about 4am on Friday, then go to the mall. Last year it wasn't crowded at all hoping for the same. DD18 has gift cards to use and I will just be along for the ride. We stop for coffee too so it's basically bonding time for me!

Last edited:
I love an adventure and BF is no worse than maneuvering thru the crowds surrounding a Frozen event at WDW! Not looking for anything in particular, just enjoy watching the crowds. It's always good for a few laughs.

Nope, working. I do like that stores in Mass can't open until after midnight, unless the can get a permit from the state.

I will. I always travel home for Thanksgiving, so my dad and I have a tradition of going black Friday shopping. We usually go around 6am, and have found that the last few years, it's actually a great time to go. The real diehards go out Thanksgiving night and are home by 6am Friday, and everyone else starts hitting the stores more around 9-10am when we're finishing up. So we've had success avoiding lines - all registers are open and the stores are well staffed so it works out well for us.

My wife and her mom do about the same thing - she usually finds the same experience (low crowds, etc).

She doesn't get much time for shopping the rest of the holiday season, so she looks forward to knocking off most of her list on that day.

Just drove by Best Buy.....people have tents pitched in front of the store in the parking lot. Good Lord almighty.

I was originally supposed to work Black Friday and I was planning on hitting up the H20 store but... my patient cancelled cause he doesn't want to fight traffic on Friday so I was able to take a PTO day. My plans.... Sleep in and relax. My DD4 is with her grandma until the weekend so I get a nice break.

No Black Friday for me....just no need but have fun for those of you that are off to catch the deals on this "fun" day!!! :)

I refuse to participate in that nonsense. And I definitely think it's shameful that it's bled into Thanksgiving Day itself.

I'm predicting that within five years, many big retail and mall stores will open all day on Thanksgiving, either normal business hours, or even extended hours. K-Mart has been open all day on Thanksgiving for decades.

Nope, mainly because there aren't any deals.

For the last five years I've been tracking my Christmas shopping. last year I kept every circular. EVERY LAST ITEM in the black friday circular I found cheaper the last two weeks in December ESPECIALLY electronics.

BF is a marketing ploy.

Yep, most of those so-called great deals on BF are even cheaper when it gets closer to Christmas, after sales have once again failed to meet overly optimistic (or unrealistic) expectations.

As for those limited quantity electronics doorbusters on BF, higher quality products are often cheaper than those "awesome deals" as Christmas approaches.

I understand lots of people like the excitement of BF shopping, but realize you're probably not getting the best prices.

Just drove by Best Buy.....people have tents pitched in front of the store in the parking lot. Good Lord almighty.

Strange. I was a PetSmart this afternoon, next to Best Buy and Target. In years past BB would have people camping out a few days in advance, and both BB and Target had "cattle chutes" set up outside for crowd control. But not this year.

I worked at the mall during high school and college and had to work Black Friday more years than I care to remember and I refuse to do any shopping at all on that day (or Thanksgiving) now.

I live within walking distance of a Walmart... I joked that I have a good parking place for Black Friday. I might just go, just to see the madness.

So far, I had 4 places written down to browse online.
Amazon.com
Tervis.com
Oldnavy.com
Apple.com

I have only placed one order, and that is with Amazon.com (the Kindle Fire HD 6" is $30 off). Tervis *would* be a good deal, IF I could get the 25% off AND free shipping. I will leave my 3 mugs in the cart. :( Old Navy was an iffy place - only if my jeans were a great deal. And Apple did not seem to have the Ipod Nano I was thinking of getting DS for a sale price. Now though, he is teetering on whether he wants it or not. PLUS, Walmart.com has it for $120, which is the cheapest I have seen it.

Granted, it is only Thanksgiving, and not Black Friday yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter