To Disney or not to Disney.... - we do Disney!

I hope you and your family have a wonderful time and make sweet memories on your 4-week trip to Florida this summer!

(And I’m from the Budget Board!) (And we absolutely hate to see money wasted – so keep your air and hotel, switch all else to a budget mindset and ha det gøy!)

I'm guessing any European (with generous unemployment benefits) who can afford a 4 week trip to Florida likely has financial reserves to last at least several years without working. Since the airfare and hotel are already paid for and non-refundable, I see no reason to cancel the vacation. Sure, it's prudent to economize a bit while on the trip, so go and enjoy yourselves.

Last edited:
You know what? They are going to have food expenses if they stay home, so that stays the same. Non-refundable arrangements would be a waste to not use them. They are not having a huge income drop, so I don't get the naysayers here.

Go and enjoy and have a nice budget mindset. I think a lot of us Americans are jealous of how other countries treat their people. I've never even heard of mandatory vacation and I LOVE that idea. You can really enjoy Disney World by reducing the number of days you spend in the parks, too. Do a round of Mini-Golf instead of a water park. Walk around Downtown Disney or take the buses to the various resorts and enjoy their theme-ing for free.

Do the Princess hair and make-up but bring your own dresses. Heck, they DO have nice nightgowns that work as dresses.

You know what? They are going to have food expenses if they stay home, so that stays the same. Non-refundable arrangements would be a waste to not use them. They are not having a huge income drop, so I don't get the naysayers here.

Go and enjoy and have a nice budget mindset. I think a lot of us Americans are jealous of how other countries treat their people. I've never even heard of mandatory vacation and I LOVE that idea. You can really enjoy Disney World by reducing the number of days you spend in the parks, too. Do a round of Mini-Golf instead of a water park. Walk around Downtown Disney or take the buses to the various resorts and enjoy their theme-ing for free.

Do the Princess hair and make-up but bring your own dresses. Heck, they DO have nice nightgowns that work as dresses.

That's what I think too. I think most Americans have NO clue how the "social safety net" works in other countries. We could not DREAM of having unemployment benefits for two years. No way! And, the "rate" we get never comes close to replacing existing salary. Sounds like that is different, too, in Norway.

Given that OP has non-refundable airfare, would lose at least some of the accommodation rental, food costs are a wash (and perhaps even less...ever bought food in a Norwegian market...eyeopening...I'll never forget seeing a beer display with a listed price about the same as America, except it was for a SINGLE can, and NOT a 6 pack...LOL), I'd go and enjoy the trip.

It doesn't sound like OP and her family are so strapped financially that it would impose an undue burden on their family to take the trip. If that's the case, I'd rather economize where I could than lose entirely one of the biggest costs of the trip, the airfare. Not to mention her husband has the time off already, and it's a bad time to look for work during that period. Are they supposed to stay home and suffer in frugal silence?

When I first posted this thread it didn't even cross my mind , but I soon realized that cultural differences are very much present when it comes to this topic too ;-)

Just to explain a little where I come from: We get 5 weeks paid holiday. We are actually required by law to take 3 weeks off during the summer months, only by special agreements can you postpone those holiday weeks. So 4 weeks is not that crazy, just means that we will have only one week holiday left for the rest of the year instead of two.
And those 5 weeks are paid for by money you pay through your wages the previous year; so my husband will get paid for 5 weeks holiday this year, even if he holds no job. That "holiday payment" will match his original income.
He will get unemployment benefits that are not too far away from his original salary. Maximum time for unemployment benefits are 2 years I believe. (The unemployment benefits are stopped during holidays, so you do not get double pay.)

And yes; airline tickets are non-refundable. We will also loose some if we cancel the accommodation. So if we cancel, we will loose out on those money. The same goes for cutting down on the time spent in Florida; it would mean getting new airline tickets one way) But if we can't afford to go, well so be it. Then we will go back some other year. But my husband will still have 4 weeks holiday this year, whether we go to Florida or not;-)
(And jobhunting in the summer months are virtually impossible. Noone hires during those months, so he will not miss out on anything if we do decide to go).

On the bright side; he has just scheduled 2 job interviews, so with a bit of luck he is back working sometime soon.

not to take your thread in another direction, but I'm just crazy curious on how this works.

so-since the money comes from the previous year's earnings and in your husband's case what will be his former employer-does that mean that any employer who hires someone is legally obligated to let them take 4 weeks of vacation whenever they choose during their first year of employment-with no consideration to their existing employees who may already have approved time off during the same period of time, and the demands and operations of an individual business?

if that's the case-WOW, I can't imagine ever wanting to take on a new hire.

not to take your thread in another direction, but I'm just crazy curious on how this works.

so-since the money comes from the previous year's earnings and in your husband's case what will be his former employer-does that mean that any employer who hires someone is legally obligated to let them take 4 weeks of vacation whenever they choose during their first year of employment-with no consideration to their existing employees who may already have approved time off during the same period of time, and the demands and operations of an individual business?

Or, it is a case where in Italy (? I think that was the place) pretty much everything shuts down in August. There is one territory that my husband deals with that is literally closed down for a month due to vacation time.

I just googled out of random curiosity and it appears that Norwegians get 87% of previous pay for 500 days. That's a WOW from me. Nice. If that is correct, I would totally be taking my planned vacation and simply cutting back a bit on "extras."

Although many ‘perks’ of non-US nations seem unbelievable to us, Americans would never, ever want the tax rate that supports all those perks. Think 50% of your income and north of that. It’s cradle to grave in some countries, to include university, but we could never, ever support that. Most Americans don’t even seem to want to pay their 15% or 28%.

Although many ‘perks’ of non-US nations seem unbelievable to us, Americans would never, ever want the tax rate that supports all those perks. Think 50% of your income and north of that. It’s cradle to grave in some countries, to include university, but we could never, ever support that. Most Americans don’t even seem to want to pay their 15% or 28%.

Oh, I know it comes at a tax price. But, OP (and her husband) have PAID that price (presumably). Nothing wrong with taking their vacation.

Most Americans want what the government gives THEM, they just don't want to pay for what the government gives "others." LOL. Always the problem. It's all about me, me, me.

Oh wow. I'm still stuck on "DD8 is too big for the Princess stuff now". LOL. I'm thirty something and clearly by my avatar I'm still in to Princess stuff.
:offtopic:....but really. :tongue:

Since apartment and airfare are paid for and you would be buying groceries no matter what, the places to look to cut expenses are cars and entertainment.
You have been given good advice on car rentals.
For entertainment, decide what you really want to do--sounds like Disney is one place. Look for ways you can cut expenses at Disney--keep the castle dinner since it is paid for, but pack lunches and snacks, bring refillable water bottles, cut down on souvenirs, do the princess makeover yourself--if you have the makeup and such you can do it more than once if she wants.
Check out the parks and local pools or use the apartment pool. Dh can't swim, but can sit poolside and read/watch while you and girls enjoy the pool. Same with going to the beach.
Check out local activities that are free or reduced cost. Check to see if movie theaters have morning movies for kids while you are there. Check if there are movies in the park. Visit local museums/attractions on the days that they are free (if they have those days). Pack lunches and go exploring. Eat out on days kids eat free at restaurants.

Husband was called back for a second interview for one of the positions he applied for, so with a bit of luck he will have a new job sometime soon. Better pay than the last one it seems. But - not likely that he will be allowed to take his holiday at the time we have scheduled our trip for..... But we'll just have to wait and see. Fingers crossed! :smickey:

Paid vacation is common in other parts of the world (including the US). Even though his vacation time is paid, four weeks worth of expenses aren't. And four weeks worth of expenses is significant when your husband doesn't have a job.
Sorry, did try to not over-explain things, but as so many seemed baffled by the notion of 4 weeks holiday, I just thought it had something to do with the holiday benefits and differences there. But yes; 4 weeks worth of expenses are paid, but only if we manage to travel on a budget.

If you are hired after what I believe is september you can only claim 6 days holidays. If you start any sooner than that; you are entitled to a full 5 weeks (provided you have not already had your time off from previous employer that year).
But - you can not dictate when you will have that holiday; it is decided through a dialog with your employer. 3 weeks has to be within the summer months (june-september), but if you start in a new job after august that rule does not apply.
So, in our case, if DH gets a new job now, he will still be entitled to a full 5 weeks holiday, but if employer says that he can't take the holiday when we have it scheduled for, then he can not have his holiday then.

I just googled out of random curiosity and it appears that Norwegians get 87% of previous pay for 500 days. That's a WOW from me. Nice. If that is correct, I would totally be taking my planned vacation and simply cutting back a bit on "extras."

I think the percentage is somewhat lower, but with the reduction in taxes as well we come out fairly nicely in the end.

(But as for the more general discussion about pros and cons of paying taxes, I think we'll have to save that for an entire new thread :hippie:)

Oh wow. I'm still stuck on "DD8 is too big for the Princess stuff now". LOL. I'm thirty something and clearly by my avatar I'm still in to Princess stuff.
:offtopic:....but really. :tongue:

I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!! She claimed the other year; "I am too old for princesses!". Saying that; she just begged me to go see the new Cinderella movie, so perhaps I can get her in a princess mood before we go (IF we go - still undecided) princess:

Sorry, did try to not over-explain things, but as so many seemed baffled by the notion of 4 weeks holiday, I just thought it had something to do with the holiday benefits and differences there. But yes; 4 weeks worth of expenses are paid, but only if we manage to travel on a budget.

It is almost unheard of here in the US for an employee to be allowed a 4 week vacation, all at one time and rarer still to find a company that will pay all the expenses for a 4 week vacation (transportation, accommodation, food, extras, etc).

It is almost unheard of here in the US for an employee to be allowed a 4 week vacation, all at one time and rarer still to find a company that will pay all the expenses for a 4 week vacation (transportation, accommodation, food, extras, etc).

Holiday pay is about 10,2% of your annual income, but it also comes with lower tax than normal, so most people will have a significantly higher holiday pay than they do in a normal month. Employer can not choose to do so or not; it is regulated through the law.

Best of luck, fingers crossed. :)

We went through something similar last year..

DH lost his job basically with zero notice, go home that day we are cutting your position.... We had our cruise booked, and went through a summer of his last surviving Aunt passing after a battle with Cancer.. We drove instead of flying.. Ended up taking his cousins along, and just had tried to have fun with it.. He was overwhelmed, and well we all were... He had two years full pay which he took in a lump sum, and now works for the government with better pay as well and MORE holidays.. As a matter of fact he already had 2 weeks.. Some things do work out...

Blessings it does for you as well..

Pretty sure that's not what she was trying to say. I'd imagine they are "covering their expenses" through what they've already paid for or saved for as well as cash-flow from the severance pay and unemployment benefits.

Pretty sure that's not what she was trying to say. I'd imagine they are "covering their expenses" through what they've already paid for or saved for as well as cash-flow from the severance pay and unemployment benefits.
Yes, I got that feeling.. I do love that you must take 3 weeks during the summer.. Smart, seems they really put family first!

Enjoy your vacation.

I also think it's important to know that not every country with a higher tax rate pays 50% income tax. I have 28 days vacation next year (law requires 10 days) , I have provincial heath care, a pension, subsidized university tuition,(regulated program tuition is under 7K) no copays on medical prescriptions, never have to worry about going broke from a catastrophic medical condition and my effective tax rate was less than 30%. By the time you add in what many US citizens have to pay for healthcare (disclaimer, I know nothing about Obamacare so maybe things are different now) but when I heard stories about people having to pay 500-1000 a month for family medical coverage, I think I'm getting a heck of a deal here. Plus, our wages tend to be higher here as well.

That's all. Don't want to get into a debate on which is better or worse. Just want to make sure people understand the figures being tossed around are not completely accurate and the entire tax burdens and supplemental payments for what is included in our tax rates to be taken into account when making comparisons. It's also just a different mindset. Do we think taxes are too high? Of course. Would we give up what we have for lower taxes? I believe the majority would say no way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter