To Bleach or not ?

Disney Ontario

Ontario Disney
Hi. My DD13 wants to be Cinderella/Princess princess: for halloween. Well our local bridal store has bridesmaid dresses $25.00. Pluss buy one, get one free. :banana: Small repairs mite be needed.We came home with two, two peice light blue out fits. But her dream was a white dress.

Can that kind of material be bleached?

She just watched "A Cinderella Story" (not the cartoon) and she was in love with her look. I kind of know this will be her last halloween outing before starting high school. So this is her dream. :cloud9:

I would assume that since you have bridesmaid dresses that they are dry-clean only. If so - I would be hesitant to put in a washing machine to do any sort of bleaching. Some of the bridesmaids dresses are made assuming that alternations would need to be made - so I'm not sure how well seams would hold up going through a "physical" type of washing. Geez - I hope that makes sense. Plus bleach is very degrading to cotton - and if the manufacturer used a cotton thread - you really might have some problems.

The problem with bleach is - if it wrecks the dress - you've got nothing.

Can you try to use a "rit" dye that is white? Or, can you add white to it, like lace, tulle, sparkly beading that would help it appear to be a little more white? If you get a nice sparkly white rhinestone kind of headpiece - there really will be far more attention to her face than the dress.

Good luck - I am in a similar situation - DD is a harem girl in her school's upcoming Aladin production. They can't have any midriff's showing, (school rules). And - the only costume we have seen is a combination of light pink and bright pink. DD hates pink. So - we are going to add scarves, and any "gold" embellishments I can find from JoAnn's. Hopefully she'll forget it's pink by the time we are done. I just can't sew much with that lightweight material, so I am better off starting with something and modifying it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter