To all you baby wearing moms...

CandCMommy

Mouseketeer
We are going to WDW in September with our DS's 4 and 1 at the time of travel. DS1 doesn't like to stay in the stroller much and is now too big for the baby bjorn so I was thinking about getting another carrier to use for this trip as well as for all of our DL trips. What are the pro's and con's and what carrier do you like the best? I've heard of Ergo and Beco's but don't know much about either of them. I want him to be comfortable but I don't want something that is going to make the both of us HOT!

Thanks all!

I carried my then 16-month-old all over WDW last September (hot, hot, hot ... did I mention it was Hades-like?) in an ergo and it was fantastic. I never felt that it made us hotter than we were already and the way his weight rests on my hips, it doesn't feel heavy. I expect to be carrying him quite a bit in a few weeks at DL (so that big brother can rest in the stroller sometimes).

Anyhoo, big thumbs up to the ergo!

I have said it before and will say it again.....The Hip Hammock is the best thing ever!!!

ergo, ergo, ergo... can go on your front, your back, or your hip (although I never mastered the hip hold...) took it to Tulum in very hot Mexico and it was great!!

--Lisa

Although when DS was 1 we used a mesh mei tai for Disneyland, after we got the Ergo (when he was 2) I never used the mei tai again. Let me note that the mesh mei tai had unpadded straps and gave me "hickeys" on the front of my armpits, so if the straps were padded I probably would have used the mei tai still. :)

When I've seen pictures of the Beco, they look like they have a bit less fabric, which of course would be cooler. But both Beco and Playtex (hip hammock) have had recalls on their buckles, Ergo hasn't (knock wood) so I like them better. :rotfl:

And the BEST part about a back carry on a hot day is handing over a little bottle or cup of ice water to the one being carried, knowing that they ARE going to spill it on you and how nice and refreshing that is. :rotfl:

The hip hammock really, really hurts my back. I would try that one out yourself before purchasing. Heck, try out as many carriers as possible. I only recommend the ergo wholeheartedly *** I have never had a wince of pain in it.

I have to say I was leaning towards the Ergo. I do have another question, does the strap at the top bother you at all? It looks VERY uncomfortable to me especially since I'm large chested. Good ole family genes. ;) Also, what about the strap that hooks around the waist, I'm not vain per say but I'm thinking it would not be too attractive with the fat rolling out the bottom and over the top.

I would never purchase one without trying it out first, but I just thought others might have answers before I drive the 20 miles to try it.

Back in the day, when Disneybrat17 was an infant, I carried her in a backpack. It was lightweight, comfortable, distributed the weight, and was absolutely lovely.

Then, Disneybrat discovered hairpulling. The little, tiny, sensitive ones on the back of my neck.

That was the end of the backpack.

My husband uses the kelty 3.0.
He even runs with it, and our daughter loves it.

I did this with my 12 month old last year. I used the sutemi carrier that is no longer available, although you might be able to find on on ebay. It is VERY similar to the Ergo so I guess I would recommend that one. Here are a few pictures of me wearing dd. I wore her very comfortably for long periods of time, she weighed about 20lbs at the time.

P1010599-1.jpg

P1010602-1.jpg

P1010606-1.jpg

I love my hip hammock, it doesn't hurt my back at all. I plan on taking my double stroller but will take my hip hammock as well because sometimes she just wants to be carried! But definately try as many as you can out before you go, because everybody is different and what doesn't hurt my back just might be a strain on yours. And yes the hip hammock was recalled a while back but any sold now the problem has been fixed.

The top strap on the ergo doesn't bother me a bit and I am a large chested person too.

I have to say I was leaning towards the Ergo. I do have another question, does the strap at the top bother you at all? It looks VERY uncomfortable to me especially since I'm large chested. Good ole family genes. ;) Also, what about the strap that hooks around the waist, I'm not vain per say but I'm thinking it would not be too attractive with the fat rolling out the bottom and over the top.

I would never purchase one without trying it out first, but I just thought others might have answers before I drive the 20 miles to try it.

Yeah, the waist strap isn't THE most attractive thing ever...:rotfl:

The chest strap expands, and I wore it up a bit higher than I wanted to:

47b7d832b3127ccea90cf2dea63100000005108CZMmjFq1bC

Yikes, the girls are just very scary.

With the recalls, if I have a choice between a company that has had recalls vs one that hasn't, I go for the "hasn't". :) For instance, since Thomas trains had the lead paint recall, I'm going for Brio next time DS wants wooden trains. That's what I meant. :)

Yeah, the waist strap isn't THE most attractive thing ever...:rotfl:

The chest strap expands, and I wore it up a bit higher than I wanted to:

47b7d832b3127ccea90cf2dea63100000005108CZMmjFq1bC

Yikes, the girls are just very scary.

With the recalls, if I have a choice between a company that has had recalls vs one that hasn't, I go for the "hasn't". :) For instance, since Thomas trains had the lead paint recall, I'm going for Brio next time DS wants wooden trains. That's what I meant. :)

From one top heavy Mama to another: hahahahahahahah:lmao: :lmao:

I'm happy to know about the hip hammack i just bought one with our disney trip in mind.... I won't get to use it for a long time but i had the money and i liked it! My little girl will be a year when we go next october so i wanted something that i would be able to carry her in lines but still ahve my arms free, i saw this and liked the looks of it, so i tired it with my 2 year old and he felt fine for the 10 minutes i had him in it!!! So i'm hoping it will be good with my little princess!

My DD was almost 1 when we visited DL. I carried her in a sling, very much like a Maya Wrap. (I made it myself, but it was basically the same thing). She was able to sleep in it, and it didn't hurt my back at all.
Here's a pic if I can get it to work...sorry if it's huge.
Please excuse the half closed eyes, it was VERY glarey. DD's head *could* tuck into one of the wider straps over my shoulder for her neck support, but she absolutely hated that unless she was completely zonked.
disneyphotoimage3.jpg" width="275" height="413">

I did this with my 12 month old last year. I used the sutemi carrier that is no longer available, although you might be able to find on on ebay. It is VERY similar to the Ergo so I guess I would recommend that one. Here are a few pictures of me wearing dd. I wore her very comfortably for long periods of time, she weighed about 20lbs at the time.

P1010599-1.jpg

P1010602-1.jpg

P1010606-1.jpg

Thanks for sharing the pics. DD looks very comfortable in that and our kiddos seem to be about the same size.

Was the hip carry position hard to master?

From one top heavy Mama to another: hahahahahahahah:lmao: :lmao:

DITTO! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Thanks for sharing the pics! I know when you have girls like that there is no taming them...I know! :scared1: :scared1:

On a more serious note, I think I will go try the Ergo and Hip Hammock over the weekend and see what they're like. Unfortunately, here in Utah, there isn't much selection so there is no way to try out the Beco so I guess it's out of the question.

DH was good about wearing the Bjorn, does anyone get their husband to wear the Ergo? Mine looks at the picture and says, NO WAY! Maybe I can persuade him though. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter