TIW price increase for DVC...

Yes
DVC site: "Dining discounts are off the regular price of food and non-alcoholic beverages, excluding tax and gratuity, and are valid for the Member and up to three Guests."
My husband and I are both members so at least we get 6 friends. We are traveling with 3 in addition to ourselves so we are covered.

Not to Hijack this thread but does anyone know if the DVC discount or the AP discount are valid at 'Ohana dinner. I cannot get into the AP site and the DVC site does not list it but the DVC resort restaurants were always covered in the past

My husband and I are both members so at least we get 6 friends. We are traveling with 3 in addition to ourselves so we are covered.

Not to Hijack this thread but does anyone know if the DVC discount or the AP discount are valid at 'Ohana dinner. I cannot get into the AP site and the DVC site does not list it but the DVC resort restaurants were always covered in the past
Interesting. Ohana is not on the DVC list, but now that Poly has DVC rooms, maybe it will be. Here's hoping!

I checked earlier today for 'Ohana discounts and only TIW was valid.

I checked earlier today and only TIW discount was valid at 'Ohana.

Interesting. Ohana is not on the DVC list, but now that Poly has DVC rooms, maybe it will be. Here's hoping!
The DVC list is so hard to deal with and read now that they made changes, lots of pretty pictures when all I really want is the name of the park or resort and what places offer discounts.

Sadly, I suspect your anger will be justified going forward. Add that increase to the new prices for APs that were just released, and there are two more reasons to scale back our visits to the World.
Yeah I missed the rumors and now that increase significantly screws with my vacation this year... Was planning on dec 15-24 so now I'd have to do the more expensive ones. Honestly about ready to sell my DVC or just rent it. I've never seen a company screw their most loyal customers this badly.

While I'm not particularly happy about TIW increasing to $150, I will still be buying it next month. I don't understand the comments about having to do so much math to figure out if it is worth buying or not. It was $500 break even point and now it is $750. My husband and I spend that in nothing flat on a trip. And this year, we have 9 family members traveling with us in November so it will cost a small fortune for food. We will make up the $750 in less than 2 meals.

While I'm not particularly happy about TIW increasing to $150, I will still be buying it next month. I don't understand the comments about having to do so much math to figure out if it is worth buying or not. It was $500 break even point and now it is $750. My husband and I spend that in nothing flat on a trip. And this year, we have 9 family members traveling with us in November so it will cost a small fortune for food. We will make up the $750 in less than 2 meals.

We eat at a lot of restaurants that have a dvc discount anyway. Via Napoli is 15% w/dvc so it is only 5% more off w/TIW. There are several others that have a 10% dvc discount. When you factor in the discount with these restaurants the break point is more than $750. For some it will still be worth it, for others it isn't.

Because of the increased number of restaurant discounts given to both DVC and AP a couple of years ago the math isn't quite that simple. Those discounts aren't for every restaurant and are sometimes limited to certain time of the day but depending on where you eat it can take more than $750 to recover if you already have a discount without buying a discount card.

I'm really disappointed about TiW. Maybe if they didn't have the added blackout and kept Victoria and Alberts on their... But this is it. Mine expires in February. We'll get 2 more uses out of it. We have eaten at Disney cheaply and we'll go back to it. This is not the house that Walt built.... It's the house that Roy built now.

Last edited:
We eat at a lot of restaurants that have a dvc discount anyway. Via Napoli is 15% w/dvc so it is only 5% more off w/TIW. There are several others that have a 10% dvc discount. When you factor in the discount with these restaurants the break point is more than $750. For some it will still be worth it, for others it isn't.

agreed - the AP and the DVC discounts make it harder to calculate exactly what the break even point is for TiW. For us, we generally get a bottle of wine at dinner + a cocktail or two: the alcohol inclusion makes the TiW that much more valuable for us. I am going to continue to pretend that the breakeven point is 750$ and ignore the math involving the other discounts which we could use.

agreed - the AP and the DVC discounts make it harder to calculate exactly what the break even point is for TiW. For us, we generally get a bottle of wine at dinner + a cocktail or two: the alcohol inclusion makes the TiW that much more valuable for us. I am going to continue to pretend that the breakeven point is 750$ and ignore the math involving the other discounts which we could use.

If you drink enough it won't bother you anyway :drinking1

I don't think we will bother now as we will break even but not much more.

If this does lead to a general increase in prices we will just eat more offsite. Nowhere at Disney is so wonderful we have to eat there

I've thought about the benefits of getting into DVC many times but this scenario is exactly what always scares us away. Disney seems to continue to disrespect the DVC Members - they eliminate benefits and raise costs. I feel bad for people that made the jump into DVC 5+ years ago and continue to see huge increases (above normalized inflation) to the cost of passes, dining, etc.
Anyone who bought into DVC for the discounts had no idea what they were buying. DVC is a timeshare. All you buy is the room. Everyone is affected by these price increases. DVC is no different and gets no preferential treatment.

Oh for cripes sakes....we just spent a ton of time doing all the math to figure out if it would be worth it for us based on our reservations and now we'll have to re-evalute everything. That is a ridiculously high jump. Add in the AP increase and ugh.....
If you already did the math, it should be easy to determine if you're saving more then $150, or just $100.

Anyone who bought into DVC for the discounts had no idea what they were buying. DVC is a timeshare. All you buy is the room. Everyone is affected by these price increases. DVC is no different and gets no preferential treatment.

Ok...I guess I'll stop feeling bad then. I just figured that these folks that loved Disney vacations so much that they joined DVC maybe expected better treatment. They're a piece of Disney's fan base but like you basically said...anybody who bought in for the discounts must be stupid. I was just sharing my sentiments that I didn't agree with the business decisions being made by Disney.

As for me...I never was close to buying into DVC or any timeshare for that matter because it would be an insane waste of money for the way I choose to travel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter