Tips on driving in Phoenix?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Northstar, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Northstar

Northstar DIS Veteran

Will be flying into Phoenix Sky Harbor at 11:00 pm, renting a car, driving to hotel near airport. Next day maybe driving to Heard Museum and then heading for the Apache trail. Oh, and then a week later, will be driving back to the airport from Tucson.

So how is driving in Phoenix? Is signage good for out-of-town drivers trying to find their way? When is the traffic worst? Any roads to avoid? How crazy are the drivers?

I've driven in Boston, New York, and Orlando, but a big city in the Southwest is entirely new to me.

Clue me in and I promise not to drive like a gawking tourist!

2. Jedana

Jedana <font color=blue>Have to learn to budget somehow.

Avoid I-17 and I-10 during rush hour.

I always preferred driving the loops (101 and 202), even if it took me a bit out of the way or a bit longer. Seemed safer.

People drive absolutely insane there. If it rains, they will either slow down to 10 MPH or speed up to 75+.

3. dudspizza

dudspizza I married in to a Disney crazy family... now I hav

I found driving in PHX wasn't bad at all. I had to drive from a car rental location "near" the airport all the way out to Sun City. I also drove the Apache trail and all over. Wasn't tough at all.

As far as the car rental goes, I found it to be WAY cheaper renting off of the airport. We stayed at the Marriott just north of the airport. I then rented from Avis at a Sears location. The airport tacks on a ton of fees.... I must have saved 70-80 bucks by renting off site..... I actually walked the mile from the hotel to pick up the car. It was very easy.

Duds

4. Northstar

Northstar DIS Veteran

Thanks, guys! That doesn't sound too scary.

I'll look into renting the car outside the airport. Looks like all the nearby hotels have airport shuttles, so maybe I could walk to a rental place. But I'll need to get back to the airport after dropping my car on the return, so I might have to bite the bullet and pay for the convenience of renting right at the airport.