Tips on becoming a saver?

That's the crazy thing- I do have the party at home! I'miss not a fan of commercial type parties, but it gets expensive to have a nice party at home. The meal is a buffet with several types of pasta, salad, fruit, some appetizers. It is a catered meal, because i have too much going on that day to cook for 35 people too. Dessert is cake, ice cream, and home made decorative cookies. I made a lot of the decorations, or bought them cheaply and jazzed them up. But all the craft supplies get expensive. Just the cups, lunch plates, cake plates, napkins and cutlery for that many people is around $75. And the favor bags- the trinkets and candy add up! And the helium balloons. An did had to bug a. princess costume and wig so my sister in law can be Cinderella to entertain the kids. And I have to rent tables and chairs...

Please don't take this the wrong way, OP, but I think you need to stop saying things are only $200/month for a trainer or $75 for cups, plates and plastic silverware for a party. Like I said, we have a high income and I would freak out spending $75 for plastic plates, napkins and silverware for a child's party. That really does seem like overkill. Also, people don't really need favor bags. I mean if you are showing people a great time with entertainment and high end food and drinks, etc. favor bags are just throwing away more money.

Sometimes when people say they can't afford it, it is because they are prioritizing their funds differently. For example, some people are saving for their financial freedom. They are trying to max out one (or two) 401k's up to the annual IRS limit, pay off a mortgage and then save a tidy sum after tax.

Don't get me wrong, I don't feel like I cheat myself at all, but I also think very carefully on things we do spend on. For example, we go to Europe twice a year (Italy mainly). My mother was born there and both my husband and I speak the language. We fly coach (often paying for one ticket on miles as my husband travels all the time for work) and stay at local agriturismos that include breakfast and dinner for two of us for less than the cost of a moderate hotel at Disney. I think focusing on how much you are spending on these things matters as well.

Also, I could be getting older and grumpy, but my home is my sanctuary. It sounds like you all need a lot of "activity." I mean if you take three vacations a year, how many more long weekends and $300 concerts are really needed? Try to challenge your family to find fun things to do at home or for free locally.

I am not being judgmental (at least I am trying not to be) but you need to start thinking about things and what they cost differently.

...Also, I could be getting older and grumpy, but my home is my sanctuary. It sounds like you all need a lot of "activity." I mean if you take three vacations a year, how many more long weekends and $300 concerts are really needed? Try to challenge your family to find fun things to do at home or for free locally...

This! Our vacations are pretty much it for us and our kids are willing to forego other things in order to go as often as we do. That means we're usually pretty low-key the rest of the year with the exception of their birthday celebrations. Even Christmas is pretty low-key for us -- we spend it at Disney and the trip is our present. One or two little tokens from Santa for our youngest and we're all set.

so op, basically you simply have to make choices. You can throw a very nice bday party for 40 people for less than 1000 bucks BUT you have to make choices.

not only do I have a large family, my oldest son was born December 26th, a Christmas baby. lol

1) We did not have big blowouts every year. Seriously, some years we had perfectly fine cake and ice cream affairs with 8-10 people (grandparents and one or two others).
2) Birthdays are not surprises, you want paper plates?? buy them in bulk at a warehouse store or when they go on sale. it was just 4th of july, paper products were on sale all over the place.

3) have the party at a kid friendly venue. We have a playzone near my house. a kid party is 17 bucks a kid. so if you have 15 kids that's 150.00 bucks, throw in another 150.00 for cake, ice cream, soda and chips. A nice two hour party. grownups stand around and chat. you're way under 1000.00

Bottom line, no one is judging you but the reality is simple. no one has an unlimited supply of money if you want to save, you have to cut.

good luck

No lectures or judgements from me. And I have the unpopular opinion that budgets aren't always necessary for everybody in every situation. I don't have one. If you're serious about saving, then you just need to stop spending money and start saving it. Throw as much as possible into savings at every opportunity. You can always get to it if necessary, but you'll probably find you don't need to.

This! Our vacations are pretty much it for us and our kids are willing to forego other things in order to go as often as we do. That means we're usually pretty low-key the rest of the year with the exception of their birthday celebrations. Even Christmas is pretty low-key for us -- we spend it at Disney and the trip is our present. One or two little tokens from Santa for our youngest and we're all set.

Home is most definitely NOT our sanctuary. It is a places to safely sleep and house our stuff, but I hate being home. When I'm home I feel like I could be out living. Exploring new towns, going to museums, festivals, concerts, plays. Home is full of chores and reminders of all the stuff I need to get done. No matter how clean and tidy it is, I'm still thinking I should paint, soon, the garden needs weeded, the filing needs redone, the pictures need dusted, etc, etC, etc. There is always more work to do at home

so op, basically you simply have to make choices. You can throw a very nice bday party for 40 people for less than 1000 bucks BUT you have to make choices.

not only do I have a large family, my oldest son was born December 26th, a Christmas baby. lol

1) We did not have big blowouts every year. Seriously, some years we had perfectly fine cake and ice cream affairs with 8-10 people (grandparents and one or two others).
2) Birthdays are not surprises, you want paper plates?? buy them in bulk at a warehouse store or when they go on sale. it was just 4th of july, paper products were on sale all over the place.

3) have the party at a kid friendly venue. We have a playzone near my house. a kid party is 17 bucks a kid. so if you have 15 kids that's 150.00 bucks, throw in another 150.00 for cake, ice cream, soda and chips. A nice two hour party. grownups stand around and chat. you're way under 1000.00

Bottom line, no one is judging you but the reality is simple. no one has an unlimited supply of money if you want to save, you have to cut.

good luck

I'mean not understanding your math. 15 kids @ $17 per kid is $255 plus tax. Another $150 for the things you mentioned (which seems low, but I'll roll with it), $300 birthday gift, plus a few decorations and paper plates, and you're not too far from my totals

How about a cheaper trainer? There are many online programs that are much less than $200 a month and still challenging.

I can't imagine spending $75 on party cups/plates/etc. It is only 35 people! I must be going to the wrong parties. I've never been to a $1000 toddler party and I live in KY as well. I guess my soon to be 2 year old's party with his costco cake and appetizers must just be a present grab. ;-)

OP - we are in a similar situation to you. Our income is right about $100,000 between DH and I and we also live in KY. One little thing I do when I feel like I need to save some is do a spending freeze for a week. I'm not super organized about our bank account - I don't balance it to a T, I don't do a budget or anything like that. For that week, we don't eat out, I don't go to the grocery, we don't spend any money other than things like gas in the car. It is an easy way to pad the bank account by a couple hundred dollars. Eating out is a big expense for us, so from January-April of this year, we went on an eating out freeze and I padded our account by almost $1000.

How about a cheaper trainer? There are many online programs that are much less than $200 a month and still challenging.

I can't imagine spending $75 on party cups/plates/etc. It is only 35 people! I must be going to the wrong parties. I've never been to a $1000 toddler party and I live in KY as well. I guess my soon to be 2 year old's party with his costco cake and appetizers must just be a present grab. ;-)

The themed plates and cups, they add up fast! I have to buy like 4 packs of everything.

Disneyhardin- I like the idea of a week long spending freeze! I see a lot of the no spend months posted, but I know I couldn't g a month. A week I could do.

What I said was a party with just a cake and nothing else- no snacks, no games, no favors- would seem like a gift grab. And a very, very boring party!

The trainer won't be forever, just until I reach my goals.

The themed plates and cups, they add up fast! I have to buy like 4 packs of everything.

I, personally, would just get themed plates. I'd rather have the plastic solo cups then those paper ones and themed napkins are a joke. Bulk silverware and cups are cheap. My kid's party may cost $100 so we are pretty different, though. I'd rather spend money when they will actually remember it.

c25k is fine, but I'm beyond that level of fitness. It's good cardio for sure, but we focus on developing strength as well. The strength is good for my career too, as it prevents injury, so it's a double benefit- good body and safe work.

I guess a party with just cake is ok, but I'm afraid it would seem like a gift grab instead of a celebration. Too late from this year, the invites have gone out and the caterer has been paid, but maybe next year we will think about an afternoon party with hors devours instead of a meal. Maybe cut back on favors.

I would guess tens of thousands of children in America celebrate their birthdays at a party with "just cake". It's not seen as a gift grab just because it's a simple celebration.

I, personally, would just get themed plates. I'd rather have the plastic solo cups then those paper ones and themed napkins are a joke. Bulk silverware and cups are cheap. My kid's party may cost $100 so we are pretty different, though. I'd rather spend money when they will actually remember it.

THIS! Buy your themed plates and then go to Hobby Lobby, Big Lots or the Dollar Store to buy napkins and tablecloths in matching colors.
Solo or Styrofoam cups, and a Sharpie pen so folks can label their cups and cut down on waste.

I would guess tens of thousands of children in America celebrate their birthdays at a party with "just cake". It's not seen as a gift grab just because it's a simple celebration.

THIS! Buy your themed plates and then go to Hobby Lobby, Big Lots or the Dollar Store to buy napkins and tablecloths in matching colors.
Solo or Styrofoam cups, and a Sharpie pen so folks can label their cups and cut down on waste.
This is what we do, but I get the themed napkins. Everything else is from the Dollar Tree. One year we grilled out hot dogs for ds's birthday. My mom made a huge pan of baked beans, ordered potato salad from Marks Feed Store and rented a bouncy.

Heck, we just had a Fourth of July party for 60 people and spent less than $100 on food.... Granted it was a pitch-in.

Just for curiosity I just priced 35 Disney princess plates on oriental trading and it was $14. Add some unthemed pink cups and napkins and you're well under $50, let alone $75. Just as an example.

Last edited:
I guess I was looking for advice on changing the habits instead of just lectures on why the expenses I have are unreasonable to someone else.
Like, how do you throw an inexpensive birthday party with 35 guests? How do you keep your grocery costs down and still eat healthfully? What do you do for fun instead of spending $300 on concert tickets?

Now you're asking questions I can handle.

On parties:

First of all, when it comes to parties ditch the favors. They're just so much clutter after the fact anyway, and it is such an easy expense to cut! Also, hit the dollar stores or food service suppliers for plates, cups, and silverware at better prices than party suppliers. A few balloons and themed napkins or plates, paired with coordinating solid colors for the rest, can set the theme without the price tag of licensed everything.

Also, not cooking doesn't have to mean full catering. Look into party subs, wraps, deli platters, veggie trays, fruit platters, etc. from your local grocer. I don't cook at most of my DDs' parties (sometimes DH will BBQ) but we don't spend more than about $150 on food for 20-25 guests.

Instead of a big, fancy cake, think about a smaller cake and cupcakes in a decorative presentation. We usually get a beautiful 10" round and two dozen "gourmet" cupcakes in a few different flavors that color-coordinate with our theme which ends up costing about half what it would cost for a large enough cake to feed everyone, and the kids prefer it anyway.

Check out Pinterest for game and craft ideas. There is so much you can do with Dollar Store materials and a little creative thinking that there's no reason to spend a ton. An inexpensive craft often makes a nice keepsake/favor too. There's no need for a costumed performer to amuse a group of preschoolers!

Finally, you don't need to throw a big party every year. We alternate between big parties, backyard BBQs, and "destination" birthdays (which are the most expensive despite the smallest guest list!). Last year DD6 just had a BBQ for family and a couple close friends; this year we're taking her and 7 of her friends to our town carnival and fireworks, followed by a sleepover (and it still won't cost $1000, even with the carnival wristbands!). DD13 had a beach party last year at a public beach/park; we got party subs and finger foods and had a great time for about $150. This year she's taking one close friend away for the weekend for the Renaissance Festival, so we're obviously spending more (and might even hit the $1000 mark!).

On cooking:

Look for local CSAs, farm stands, and farmer's markets. You'll find good in-season produce at better than grocery store prices, and you may find that you can connect with a farmer who isn't certified organic (a long and expensive process) but who follows organic practices and essentially get organic produce at non-organic prices. Do the same for any meats that are produced in your area.

If you don't garden, think about starting a small one. I know you said you're pressed for time but your 3yo will probably enjoy the process and even just a few plants of your favorite/most commonly used vegetables can be a money saver as well as a nice way to spend time with her. Plus kids who garden tend to be better about eating their veggies!

I don't actually meal plan. I stock up on things when they're on sale, freeze meats in single-meal portions, and then combine what is in the freezer/pantry with what I'm in the mood for and what fresh produce I have on hand. I also buy meats in bulk when I can - usually a half hog and a quarter cow from local farmers - but that requires a separate freezer in addition to the kitchen fridge. Meal planning and weekly shopping has never worked for me; some weeks there's lots that I'd use on sale and other weeks I end up paying full price for key ingredients to round out the meals I have planned because the sales are processed-food heavy or themed (ie fish during Lent, party food Superbowl week, etc.) to things that don't suit the way we eat.

Outings:

I'm just like you in that. I love my home but I'd much rather be out and about.

Look for free/discount days at local museums. Many do have days when they offer free or reduced admission to increase traffic at off-peak times. Also, see if your public library has activity passes. In my area you can "check out" admission for four to many different places at no cost.

And look into memberships that offer reciprocal agreements. We're members at one science center which gets us half off of admission at museums within 90 miles (and there are three good ones in that range), as well as free admission to many others when we travel. We're also zoo members, which makes a day at the zoo a cheap outing (pack a lunch) and gets us a discount on special events like their trick-or-treat nights and Christmas lights display.

Check out local concerts in the park, and festivals or other special events. It isn't big-name national acts, of course, but superstars don't have a monopoly on enjoyable music. Colleges can also be a great source of inexpensive entertainment; mine hosts plays and touring companies with talented performers at a fraction of the cost of the professional companies that perform at major venues.

Watch Groupon and similar sites for discounts on activities in your area. We've used them for bounce-house places, high ropes courses, waterparks, concerts, festivals, and museums.

And get outdoors. Parks, splash pads, and playgrounds are usually free and endlessly fascinating to young children. And think outside of the "typical". For example, as a family we've taken up kayaking. My 6yo pretty much just rides along, but there are enough rivers and public launches in our area that we can go out often with only the cost of the initial equipment purchase so in the long run it is a relatively inexpensive activity that is healthy too.

ETA: We have a relatively modest income, in the ballpark of half of yours. But we do travel multiple times every year and still save for the future because we're good at keeping the day-to-day relatively inexpensive. Part of that is setting up good habits and expectations in our kids from the start and your DD is at a good age to start doing that. You could teach her that huge birthday parties with costumed characters and elaborate themes are an every year event, and that dinner is whatever you're in the mood for at the moment, and that outings have to be $300 concerts... but that's just going to escalate as she gets older. Or you could teach her that fun can be anything from a free concert in a park to an affordable day at a museum as well as the occasional high-priced event, and that birthdays can be celebrated simply and be just as much fun. In the long run, I think you'll be happier as well as financially healthier if you instill an appreciation for a wider range of experiences, including the cheap/free, in your child.

Last edited:
I guess I was looking for advice on changing the habits instead of just lectures on why the expenses I have are unreasonable to someone else.
Happyinwonerland, you have to keep in mind that the Budget Board friends are SERIOUS about budgeting. By lurking on this board, I have learned so many ways to save and help pay down some debt. We're still a LONG way from debt-free, but by using YNAB (which I learned about here) and some of the encouragement threads (like the No Spend month threads) I have really made progress. Don't take it personally or feel defeated. Listen to the advice they are giving and realize that the people here really do want to help. One thing I want you to keep in mind is this....your daughter will grow up with your influence, just as your upbringing has affected you. She may feel entitled to the comfortable life you're providing, not realizing how hard you have worked to get there. We were very, very impoverished when I was a child. It's taken me a long time to realize how much that impacted my habits as a successful, financially secure adult. My children have been borderline spoiled, and I've had to really pull back the reins to make we appreciate what we have, and are good stewards of the blessings we've been given.

how do you throw an inexpensive birthday party with 35 guests? How do you keep your grocery costs down and still eat healthfully? What do you do for fun instead of spending $300 on concert tickets?
First, I would check around to see where you can have the next bday party where it won't be as costly or stressful on you. We have a locally run gymnastics studio where birthday parties are a flat $100 fee, no matter how many guests are invited. The kids play for 1.5 hours, and have 30 minutes for cake/ice cream. That really minimizes how much you have to spend on food. Have a water cooler with iced water for the grownups. Where do you live in KY? There are surely lots of people from your area who can offer suggestions!

We like to buy organic food whenever possible, too. I started gardening with just a small raised bed. We grew lettuce greens, squash, tomatoes...just a few things. My kids helped (it is so much fun to do together!) It costs less than purchasing these at the store, and it gives us a family activity. If this is too much, consider going to the farmer's market. You're sure to save on locally grown produce. We do the same for our meats. We don't eat a lot of seafood, but we purchase organic beef, pork, chicken, and eggs from a local organic farmer. She even sent out texts last night that she would deliver meat this week.
Your DD is old enough to do short shopping trips with you -- give her a job and something to look for.

For entertainment -- are the concert tickets for you and DH, or the whole family? Consider doing some of the less expensive local things that are available to you. Go hiking in the mountains, or take a picnic to the park. We have a pool at our house, so that's literally what we do for fun all summer. We have friends over often, and that can get expensive, but it's worth it to us. We also have a Netflix subscription, so my husband and I binge-watch TV shows while the kids are asleep. Sometimes we exercise while watching, sometimes not.

Start SMALL. Pick one area to work on at a time. You seem like a pretty intense person who might get stressed out easily, so if you want to make a sustainable change in spending, you want an attainable goal. For instance, maybe this month, you can forgo one expensive outing in lieu of something more affordable. Take the amount you would have spent, and stash it in savings or pay off a debt. Join one of those Debt Payoff boards, and be inspired by some of their stories, too. Those small victories will give you the fuel you need to keep going. Good luck and keep us updated of your progress!!

I think the problem here is that it is human nature is to just keep doing what we've been doing. It takes an effort to change, even a little. You have to stop yourself and correct course, and that takes constant effort and attention for awhile. But the good news is that once you change from not making an effort and just spending on whatever, to trying to focus on saving, THAT will become the pattern you are stuck in.

The fact is, you already KNOW how to save money. You know what options you have to throw a birthday party on a smaller budget, you just aren't doing it because it would take too much effort in your eyes.

So start small. Trying to change everything all at once generally results in failure. Pick one thing to focus on - be it your vacation budget, your activities budget or your grocery budget. Even there, pick just one area to focus on - cut your next vacation budget by 10%, buy only in-season fruits and veggies to save, etc. Once you have mastered that item and it is second nature, pick something else to focus on. Slowly and surely, you'll get there. It will probably even be faster than you think - once you start to see the fruits of your efforts, it becomes easier to make the next change!

I'mean not understanding your math. 15 kids @ $17 per kid is $255 plus tax. Another $150 for the things you mentioned (which seems low, but I'll roll with it), $300 birthday gift, plus a few decorations and paper plates, and you're not too far from my totals

Your original post said you spend 1000 bucks on parties, even with my math mistake, my totals are half of what you spend. that's 500 in the bank for saving. If you are at a playzone, you don't need to decorate.

Listen people here have given you tons of options on celebrating at much lower cost. You have justified why you can't do it. So I say again YOU have a simple choice to make. you can't throw thousand dollar parties and expect to save.

One definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Hey, I'm the first to admit, I hate budgeting and missing out. I'm totally the " anti-disser". Lol, I like eating out and Louie Vuitton bags but I'm not Beyoncé, I don't have her money so I have to make choices.

That's all we're saying. 20 dollars here, 500 there add up. I've been saving my loose change for 8 months now, I've got almost 350 dollars saved from simply throwing my quarters, nickels and dimes in an empty water bottle.

Track your spending, make some small cuts and save

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter