tips/gratuities

Discussion in 'UK Trip Planning Forum' started by Melanierose, Jan 24, 2013.

1. queendisney

queendisney DIS Veteran

oh please! Really!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Kath2003

Kath2003 DIS Veteran

Indeed.
    If you want to get the most out of a place and be a responsible tourist, you abide by local customs (assuming its within your own moral realm). In my experience, in Asia, meat is just meat anyway, so I suggest that poster doesn't visit...

I suggest those who dislike tipping avoid European cities where you have to tip when you pee :thumbsup2

4. Melanierose

Melanierose Earning My Ears

Oh dear what have I started? ???

5. queendisney

queendisney DIS Veteran

:)

hey you are being responsible finding out about whats expected of you..:thumbsup2

6. mollies_mum

mollies_mum DIS Veteran

Thanks x

7. mollies_mum

mollies_mum DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting, we are in NYC in 5 weeks so this is great info :)

8. EpicKevin

EpicKevin Rafiki's Main Mandrill

This is why I hate the tipping culture in the US. Grumpy Yorkshireman, sure... but 18-20% is expected. I'm not calling you cheap, Scooby but £400 is probably a conservative estimate.

It just bugs me. That being said I usually do about 10% here in UK if it is good.

Oh - I dunno... :rolleyes2

*wanders off muttering to self and not sure why this winds him up so much*

9. EpicKevin

By the way - I do pay the tip. Usually within guidelines. I just do as I would here - bit less if I've had poor service... Which DID happen once but - that's life.

10. scoobydooby

scoobydooby Dreaming of next Disney trip

I always tip 20%. 15% at buffets minimum. Have been to WDW 5 times in 7 years. £400 is about what it costs us. I am absolutely not cheap. I spent 5 years at Uni waiting tables.

11. EpicKevin

Like I say: I wasn't calling you cheap!! Promise!! :flower3:

12. bex7583

bex7583 DIS Veteran

ok so i need a tips budgets its 18-20% table meal and 15% or a buffet

what if you are at a bar and drinking soft drinks are you expected to tip 1$ then

also at disney restaurants are the tips added to the bill automatically? do i have to calculate it myself and then just add it on ??

13. Elise79

Elise79 Moderator Moderator

It's automatically added for parties of 6 or more other wise the put suggested amounts of 18% & 20% at the bottom of the check :thumbsup2

14. wilma-bride

wilma-bride <<This space intentionally blank>> Moderator

Yes, if you are at a bar, even if you are drinking soft drinks, you should still tip the bartender.

15. mollies_mum

mollies_mum DIS Veteran

Do you just leave the $1 on the bar or do they add it to the price automatically?

16. minimousefan

minimousefan Mouseketeer

wow after reading this i feel aweful .. been going to disney world and disney parks .. for years disneyworld and anheihm and always thought you were not meant to tip ?

Ofcause outside I always do .. but not in the parks

so where would you not tip ... cast members who have been mega helpful ? fast food over the counter places ?

thanks

17. wayneg

wayneg Moderator Moderator

I have only once in Disney had an auto tip at a bar, it was a DISmeet at OKW, the barman said because there were over 6 of us he added 18% tip.
    All other times I just left what I wanted.
    No its not required to tip CM's or fast food places.

18. wilma-bride

wilma-bride <<This space intentionally blank>> Moderator

We usually tip at WPE since they bring your food to you and we have also had them offer to refill our drinks too. So, although it's a counter service place, we tend to tip because it's got an element of service too.

19. wayneg

Correct, I forget about it being CS, sort of halfway between, we usually leave $5 in there.

20. tinkerpea

tinkerpea DIS Veteran

Hi I'm just mega curious at why you didn't think you had to tip anywhere in Disney world or Disney land??
    Did you read/hear that you didn't have to? I'm guessing you have never been a party of 6 or more then lol,
    I was gutted when we became a party of 6 as we do at least 1 TS a day sometimes two! Next trip we may not be taking my mum so that will be cheaper haha

21. wayneg

I assume minimousefan means regular cast members being helpful in parks and counter service meals which you don't tip.
    We have been a party of 6 last twice on DDP, as a family of 3 we sometimes tipped less, sometimes more so at 18% its not much different for us.
    Last year every place we ate at added 18% except Beaches and Cream, she left it upto us to decide, her service was exceptional so we left 25%, they might gain from some with 18% auto tip but lose on others. I know you can add more but its not something I would do, if they set it at 18% then thats what they get.