Tips for Tampa?

mervin

Earning My Ears
:banana:

Does anyone have experience w/ TPA. We are flying into this airport in July and renting a car through National, which I believe is an offsite location.

Thanks!

Just allow extra time to get back to TPA. I-4 is under construction and traffic slows down. I drove through there last week and we crawled in some areas.

I've flown into Tampa a few times and it's very easy to navigate. Just head to rental cars and you'll see signs for rental car shuttles. Jump on the National/Alamo shuttle - a short drive where you'll pick up your car. Then follow signs for Airport exit and you're on your way!!!

Have a great trip!!! :teeth:

National is offsite, but is on your way out of the airport, so its really not out of the way at all. I've been to some offsite rental places that are really OFFsite, but that's not the case with National at TPA. I've rented from there quite a few times on vacation and business, and have found its just as easy to navigate as the in terminal rental places.

For those with experience at TPA...I have some questions and need opinions. We will be traveling with 3 kids (ages 7, 5 & 2), 2 carseats, 2 suitcases, 1 toy bag and a stroller. Are we better off sending DH off to get the rental car (National) while we wait at the baggage claim and then he comes around and gets us or are we better off sticking together and loading everyone/everything on the shuttle to the car?

Is it a long walk to the shuttle or is it right out the door? We will be arriving on Southwest.

Thanks.

You catch the shuttle right out the door outside of baggage claim. Its actually a longer walk into the garage for the in terminal rental companies. We've always just loaded everyone and everything up on the shuttle (we only have 2 kids) and then get out and pick out our vehicle from the Emerald Aisle (or Emerald Reserve depending on the type of vehicle). Tampa Airport is pretty easy to navigate, but I've had trouble at other airports of getting out of the rental lot, and getting back to the airport's passenger pick up area. For that reason, we now just load everyone into the shuttle and go from there.

We have flown into Tampa several times and driven to Orlando. We have also used National Rental Car. Yes, it's not located in the terminal - but we had no problems with the shuttle. It's actually near the post office on airport property. If you are returning/flying out of Tampa, make sure you get good directions back to National. We missed the turn once and had to drive quite a bit out of our way to get back to National. Won't make that mistake again!

Hint - if you are looking for a good place to grab lunch on the way from Tampa to Orlando - check out the Branch Ranch. It's about 20 minutes from the airport - you'll see the signs on the freeway. It's very good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter