Tips for a shipboard emergency while on a cruise.

Heres another tip.
Dont listen to the average newspaper regading what to do in an emergency. Ch ances are the reporter has never.seen a ship let alone step foot on 1. There like lawyers. Instant experts after reading a book on something theyve never done before.

How do you get in a lifeboat if you're on the highest deck?

Ha! I'm thinking they meant where the lifeboats were and not "the highest deck" on ship literally. Would everyone even fit, lol? the media loves to throw random uninformed info. out there.

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not. In any energency, go where the crew tells you. Go directly there. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, do not go back to your cabin unless told to do so. Theres reasons that the crew will tell you to do things, and they may not have time to tell you that, sorry your cabins burning, and the fire and water tight doors are closed nearby.

If you have kids, go where the crew tells you. The counsleors will bring your kids to you. Dont go running around the ship looking for them. Its hard enough to pick 1 family out of a crowd, even harder if your a moving target.

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not. In any energency, go where the crew tells you. Go directly there. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, do not go back to your cabin unless told to do so. Theres reasons that the crew will tell you to do things, and they may not have time to tell you that, sorry your cabins burning, and the fire and water tight doors are closed nearby.

If you have kids, go where the crew tells you. The counsleors will bring your kids to you. Dont go running around the ship looking for them. Its hard enough to pick 1 family out of a crowd, even harder if your a moving target.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Ex Techie :)

What tips for a disabled person in a wheelchair? We will be on deck 11, my Momma cannot walk downstairs at all. Both my husband and I have very bad back problems, so picking her up and carrying her down is out of the question :(
Any advice?

What tips for a disabled person in a wheelchair? We will be on deck 11, my Momma cannot walk downstairs at all. Both my husband and I have very bad back problems, so picking her up and carrying her down is out of the question :(
Any advice?

Talk to the CMs at the muster station. I know they have special slings which will allow them the carry wheelchair passengers up to the deck, and there are lots of cast members. Also, explain the situation and send an email to DCL.Special.Request.Medical@disney.com . I'm sure they'll be able to tell you what the proper procedure is, and then they'll know your situation in advance so the CMs can be made aware of your situation.

i have lots of little ones so another thing this made me think about was formula and bottles...for the most part i always take a couple diapers and enough formula for 2 bottles to carry around the ship but this makes me reconsider and start carrying about double that...it won't take up hardly any more room in the diaper bag and would give me enough in an emergency since i would assume no bottles/formula in the emergency rations!

Thanks for all the advice! Even though an emergency is unlikely just some of these little tips could come in handy...especially with my older kids...i have never really sat them down and talked to them about where to go in an emergency while they roam the ship without us...i will correct that next time!!!

Any advice?

When you do the muster drill for the first time, there wil be CMs in every stairwell. Theyll direct you on where to go and how to get there. There are plans in place to deal with those who are mobility challenged.

[SNIP] REPOSTED FROM ANOTHER THREAD WITH COMMENT'S ABOUT THE EMERGENCY DRILL AND POSTER HERE WAS CORRECT, DCL WRONG.
JUST MY COMMENT ABOUT WHAT TO DO IF THAT HAPPEN'S.

"our most recent Disney cruise is the only time a crew member directed us to go the wrong way to find our muster station. There aren't that many muster stations, and you'd think the crew would be trained better than that. Yes, I should have reported her, but I didn't realize we'd been given incorrect information til we had to go another direction, and there wasn't time before the drill to go back and get her name and/or correct her."

If that happen's again, please please do report it after the drill.
You do not need the name of the CM to report the mistake, just where you asked them. (they are assigned an area to direct Guest's during the drill and in the case of emergency so they will know who that CM is.)
Do not worry about not wanting to get that CM dismissed from not being able to complete her emergency duty, but is she or another CM get's flustered when being asked question's during an emergency, then there are other duties she or he could be assigned to that still help the safe accurate evacuation and another CM can be trained to take their place.

You Guest's are the real deal, and the cruise line NEED your feed back on the CM's from everything from the food, the service, the politeness, the courtesy, AND their training! Especially Safety Training.
If you feel something is lacking, then please point it out to the CM, but also (unless they give a reasonable explanation for it) please also visit GS.
If you feel it is a serious mistake (like being sen't to the wrong Lifeboat Station, please as to speak to the Officer at GS. If they BS you, then also ask to meet with the Safety Officer.

I'm not trying to cause them any extra work or aggravation, but if mistake's like being sent to the wrong LifeBoat are made, they NEED to be reported so they can be addressed and corrected for everyone's safety.

Ex Techie :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter