Tipping your Mousekeepers

Status
Not open for further replies.

schaefera

Earning My Ears
Hi,

I just had a quick question about tipping your room's mousekeeper. Do you tip every day or wait until the end? What is a good amount to tip for good service? I'm trying to budget everything out for our May trip to Disney. We are staying at CSR if that matters at all. Thanks so much!

We tip everyday, as you may have a different person cleaning the room each day. We typically give $5 per day, more of the room is particularly messy. We are a family of 5.

We're in the $5/day boat. At Disney and elsewhere. Tip everyday, as someone else said, just in case it's not the same person doing the cleaning every time.

Sometimes we leave a little extra if we're leaving extra mess (like a bunch of trash in the trash can or something).

We tip $5 each day for the same reason as listed. I am a planner so I make up my mouse keeping envelopes ahead of time...someone else recommended this to me last yea and it was the best idea...for us. I get disney stickers and have my kids decorate the envelopes and we put the day of the week we are staying on the outside. Keeps me organized and my kids have a blast.

The usual tip is $1 per person, per day. We tip daily for the reasons mentioned. The person on your last day may just have gotten on shift, and gets all the tip if you only leave one on the last day. While the person who did clean your room all week gets zero.

We do not tip our mouse keepers, nor do we tip housekeeping at any other hotel or motel. It's just not common where I grew up.

I always thought it was a non tipped position but read an article this morning that listed tipping by country and in America it is listed as customary to tip them. And I have been over tipping taxi drivers, they say 10% and I tip 20%

I always thought it was a non tipped position but read an article this morning that listed tipping by country and in America it is listed as customary to tip them. And I have been over tipping taxi drivers, they say 10% and I tip 20%

Some say it is a non tipped position, yes. But I don't think they make all that much $, and may be a single mom, etc. so I do tip, a small amount each day, and as you say, it is customary in the U.S. and when traveling we follow the customs of the country we are in. It's customary in Canada too.

We tip daily. If it is just DH and myself we tip $5 but when we stayed at ASMu in a family suite we tip $10 for 5 of us.

We tip at any resort we stay at no matter if it is on Disney property or not.

I haven't read any of the responses yet but if someone hasn't already...somebody is going to come along and tell you that housekeeping is not a tipped position and that you don't have to tip them anything.

Let me go read the replies now.

I think the tip should be a minimum of 10.00 a day. If I tipped less than that I'd be afraid to leave my toothbrush out. :scared: Just saying.......

That or wait until you check out and pay all at once. I can't remember if Disney provides envelopes or not?

I usually start with 10.00 first day to get the good/better service going ;) Of course I leave a not ewith all the little extras I want ! Towels-soap-shampoo mainly. Then 5.00 day :)

We tip, for the two of us, $5/day. Usually well deserved, but if I feel there is a problem I'll complain rather than not tip beacuse I learned a long time ago that not tipping never solves a real issue or problem.

Have a great time!

:goodvibes

I hardly think that 30% of folks tipping would make something customary

ttp://articles.cnn.com/2011-06-24/travel/hotel.housekeeping.tipping_1_housekeeping-manager-hotel-guests-emily-post-institute?_s=PM:TRAVEL

Not trying to argue, just stating what I've read as well.

To each their own, though.

I also don't leave my room a mess- all trash is bagged in the garbage (if its a hotel without bin liners I provide my own), all towels are bundled in the shower, and we wipe down all surfaces with Clorox wipes every other day.

I hardly think that 30% of folks tipping would make something customary

ttp://articles.cnn.com/2011-06-24/travel/hotel.housekeeping.tipping_1_housekeeping-manager-hotel-guests-emily-post-institute?_s=PM:TRAVEL

Not trying to argue, just stating what I've read as well.

To each their own, though.

I also don't leave my room a mess- all trash is bagged in the garbage (if its a hotel without bin liners I provide my own), all towels are bundled in the shower, and we wipe down all surfaces with Clorox wipes every other day.
If you Google "is it customary to tip housekeepers", you will find the first two pages full of articles saying that yes, you do tip housekeepers. I would take the 30% number with a grain of salt. So, as you said, each to his own, and if you search the internet enough I am sure there will be plently of articles saying that you don't need to tip. For what it's worth, here is an article from Travel & Leisure, the Amex magazine on tipping:

Housekeeping and maid service: For hotel housekeeping and maid service, it is customary to tip $2-3 per night. It is customary to tip up to $5 in high-end hotels, or f there are more than 3 people in a room or suite. Leave them on your pillow with a note that says "thank you" so housekeeping knows the money is intended for them. If you have additional items delivered to your room, such as extra pillows, hangers, luggage racks, tip the person who brings them $2 or $3.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/505658

Thank you all very much. $5 a day is what I had been thinking, so it was nice to hear that same amount from many of you. I like the decorated envelope idea as well. Helps keep track of things!

Some say it is a non tipped position, yes. But I don't think they make all that much $, and may be a single mom, etc. so I do tip, a small amount each day, and as you say, it is customary in the U.S. and when traveling we follow the customs of the country we are in. It's customary in Canada too.

It is a non-tipped, union position. There's no need to tip them; they do quite do well on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter