Tipping Question again - how much do you tip the maids?

What would you tip for a 2-br Unit

• None

• Under $3

• Between $3 and $6

• Over $6

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lat

DIS Veteran
DVC Gold
Continue onto the tipping topic. We stayed at VWL for 5 nights and I just took some garbage bags and some dishwasher detergetns, the maids did not even come in.

We (2 adults) have 2 little kids (2 and 5) and my mother in a dedicated 2-br. We tipped $6 at the end of the stay.

How much do you think is the right amount of tipping in this situation? In a hotel, we tip every day for housekeeping. But since there is no housekeeping here during our stay, what do most members do?

Thanks

:( I hate to sound like scrooge, but I leave zip, zero, zilch, nada and a grand total of nothing.

If your stay is short enough you don't have mousekeeping. But even on my one-week stays they change the towels once and empty the trash....and frankly I never even think to tip them.:blush: I am sure I will be appropriately embarrassed by the other posters who do tip.:rolleyes:

Doug, but when you walk out of the room, the maid is usually very nearby, almost feel that they have been waiting around for us to leave. I feel bad not leaving $$ behind.

On the other hand, I am entitled to get a clean room when I check in, and I left it in fairly decent condition when we left (took out all garbage, had most of the kitchen stuff washed and dryed in the dishwasher, and had most of the towels washed and dryed). We left tips but not sure if others do given we really did not receive any service during the stay.

I just spent five nights in a VWL 2-br, and left $10. I figured that I usually leave $2 per night for a regular hotel room. This is three rooms and two baths, so $10 felt right for the one-time cleaning after we left.

I had three teenagers with me. The smell of socks alone made the tip seem appropriate. ;-)

Dotti

You know, I am usually a big tipper. My DW is constantly getting on me about leaving tips that are too big. In fact, I tip everyone that even looks at my luggage.::yes::

But for some reason I just don't do it for DVC mousekeeping.

You're right, they are waiting for you to check out. I guess I'll be in the minority Lat. I suspect everyone else tips these hard working people.

I'll read the posts. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind this summer when I go.::MickeyMo

According to Disney policy-maids are not a tipped position...some claim that any tips are turned over to management for general use-I have no idea if this is true -but Disney does have a list of tipped postions including waitstaff, bellhops, valets etc and maids are not on that list...I suppose they are supposedly paid accordingly by salary...

Paul

The above poster is correct. Disney does not consider housekeeping a tipped position. But the general guideline for hotels is $1/day/person (left daily in a marked envelope or other obvious means), but $2/day minimum. For turndown service, or if you request an item be delivered to your room, such as a hairdryer or iron, tip $1/item. Tipping housekeeping is an age-old custom, but again it is not expected at Disney. If you feel it's unnecessary, don't feel obligated.

The tip is for service. It is not a surcharge, so I do not tip based on the number of nights for our stay. I generally don't leave anything for trash/towel service. I leave $5 for a studio, $10 for a one bedroom and $15 for a two bedroom if we are there long enough for full service. I know it does not follow the general guideline. But that is what I do.

I believe some leave $5 on T&T day and then $10 and up on full service days depending on the unit size.

Can anyone clarify tipping at DVC resorts vs. tipping at the "regular" resorts? I had thought tips were expected at the regular resorts but not when staying in a DVC resort on points. Did I misunderstand?

Before my DVC days, I would tip $1/person/day. Once we began staying at DVC resorts on points, I began leaving a bit less.

Thanks for the clarification.

WDW considers the housekeeping staff at all WDW resorts to be non-tipped positions. This includes DVC and "regular' resorts.

I guess I would be classified as a Scrooge as well, as I don't ever tip maid service at hotels when I travel. I reserve tipping for positions/jobs that depend on tipping for income (i.e. wait staff, bell hops, valet, etc.) I will also offer tips to the occassional outstanding employee. I just don't see the point in tipping housekeeping. I paid for a clean room and anything short is not acceptable. I don't expect the maid/housekeeper to pick up after me, i just expect the basic services (cleaning, bed making/changing, towel service, trash etc.). In fact, this is the same type of service I expect from other staff members at a resort that are paid.

If hotels begin to think that they can get away with not paying position because people tip they will. It seems to me that tipping non-tipping position just encourages hotel management to do this.

If you want to tip someone, feel free but I don't feel the least bit bad not tipping housekeeping.

I don't understand why anyone would tip a maid who only leaves new towels once during a trip. I must be a Scrooge, too, but a tip is supposed to be for service, and if you don't get a service--??? Now, perhaps I would feel differently if I received a few "towel animals" in my room. :cat: :dog: :teeth:

Maybe DVC considers maids to be "non-tipped" because no one tips them (not vice versa).

Tipping a maid is difficult. You're not sure when they'll appear and disappear and it's hard to know the tip will go to who you intend it for unless you happen to see them. The person who makes your towel animal may not be the one that picks up the tip when you leave.

general guideline for tipping is $2.00 a day. We just returned from the BCV for 5 nights and we gave our maid $10.00

but dont we all tip a bartender for pouring us a beer.. I think .. imho that maids work harder . but u know thats my opinion...dave

I wonder Lat, in the other post you said the valet was just standing there like he was expecting tip and this post you claim the maid was waiting around as you left like she was waiting for a tip. Do you attribute thoughts to other people you see. Hmm, just trying to bring humor to this subject but are you "Catholic", I am one, and we often suffer from guilt. At any rate, I do not tip the maids at OKW at all, they come in the unit for a couple of minutes, take the old towels and replace them, plus empty the garbage, in my case there is none because I empty it most days.Again I consider myself a excellent tipper, but again not in this situation, my dues pay for their service, at other hotels on long stays I leave $5 to $10 per day depending on the size of the unit. Not at DVC, they do nothing for me, no tip!!

If you are going to tip housekeeping it should be done each day or at each service (DVC). It is quite possilbe to have different CMs servicing your room during your stay and I do not know if housekeeping pools their tips within each resort.

I tip the amount I would if I were staying at a regular resort and not a DVC BUT I leave it at the end of my stay at DVC and daily at regular resort.

We usually tip between $4 & $5 a day (family of 4).

Someone mentioned Disney's policy for not keeping tips if you are not a tipped position. I know mousekeeping is not a tipped position, but I'm not sure of their policy on keeping tips. I know I was told to refuse a tip three times...if the guests still insists take the tip and then give it to management who will donate it to a charity. I can honestly say I've never seen anyone turn any tips in. I assume the policy is resort wide, but I also assume most don't turn their tips in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter