Tipping Info Thread for Disney Dining

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by Pumbaa_, Jun 28, 2008.

1. snowpixiemn

snowpixiemn Earning My Ears

Someone asked earlier about tipping when it came to ordering the fabulous gray goose slushs. Since it never got answer and I'm still wondering would one tip just as if ordering at a bar or do they hand you a bill or tell you the total with the tip amount already included?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - b

Just the total. Just as with any bar, you choose (how much to) tip the bartender.

Exception, of course, would be if the Guest was using the TiW discount card - there's an automatic 18% tip (of the prediscounted total) added to purchases except at the Value resort food courts

4. LaDonna

LaDonna DIS Veteran

Okay, so I really want to utilize my dining credits to the fullest BUT want to save on tips too, I know you can't do both, so my question is has anyone did LUNCH TS to save on tips and were just as happy with the portion size/selection as what would have been on the dinner menu? Any suggestions on resaurants that this would be a good idea perhaps? (I did look at LeCellier and even the lunch menu looks great, actually my kids ages 12 and 11 probably will like the menu better)

5. nigel-bigel

nigel-bigel DIS Veteran

Does anyone know if Disney charges their servers a service fee on tips that are paid by credit card (or charged to a room, ultimately paid by credit card)?

I waited tables all through college and many restaurants would pass on the credit card fees on tips to the servers.

Nicole

6. kaytieeldr

Ah, gee - they shouldn't (and your employers shouldn't have). That service fee from the bank is a cost of doing business. Too bad you're not still employed at one of those places - I'd direct you to your state's Attorney General's office.

7. nigel-bigel

nigel-bigel DIS Veteran

It's water under the bridge. It was twenty years ago!

Nicole

8. 2Tiggies

2Tiggies DIS Veteran

Just curious. Actually, that's not true, I really want to know :lmao:

When you tip your "server" at WPE do you tip 20% of the amount of your meal?

9. Tricia1972

Tricia1972 <font color=green>I love late night snacks<br><fon Moderator

Sorry, but per the thread guidelines, what people choose to tip is not up for discussion on the restaurant boards. The first post of this thread explains why it's not an open topic for discussion on the boards anymore.

I can tell you that since it's a CS location, Wolfgang Puck Express does not subject anyone to an automatic gratuity of 18% regardless of party size. What you tip there is always up to you.

10. Serling126

Serling126 Mouseketeer

Please please forgive me if this is a silly question, but it seems the best place to ask... Should you tip the same at the buffets as you would at a regular TS location? At other buffets I have been to, we tip (since they bring your drinks and clear your plates) but not as much as a full table service restaurant (since you have to go get the food yourself). Didn't know if they did it differently in Disney....

11. kaytieeldr

I tried answering a similar question recently, but the Moderators deleted my post :teeth: SO... the proper response is: YOU should do whatever YOU feel is right.

12. Serling126

Serling126 Mouseketeer

lol! I am not asking for a specific percentage or dollar amount, just if people are generally expected to tip in the same manner for buffets as for full service :)

13. kaytieeldr

Nope, I understand what you're asking :) but really, all I can tell you is to do what YOU'RE comfortable doing. There's no "right" answer, at least not one that covers everyone in every situation.

14. Tricia1972

Kaytieeldr is right, what you do is entirely up to you. :goodvibes

The first post of this thread addresses why we're confined to just this one thread on the tipping subject, and bullet point 5 of the FAQ addresses the buffet vs TS question.

15. bangzoom6877

bangzoom6877 DIS Veteran

1. If you are using a TIW card for any TS restaurant (buffet, a la carte, etc.), the automatic tip added is 18%.
    2. If you are a party fo 6 or more, regardless of a la carte or buffet the automatic tip is 18%.
    3. If neither #1 nor #2 applies to you, then you tip at your discretion.

16. zhamfam

zhamfam Earning My Ears

so when you are on the dining plan, most people use the regular menu prices to determine your tip amount?

17. Tricia1972

If you are subject to an auto gratuity (6 or more or using the Tables in Wonderland Card), it's based on the regular menu prices. However, if you aren't subject to an auto gratuity, what you tip is up to you.

If you are not subject to an auto gratuity, you should know that when using the DDP, the pre-calculated tip amounts of 18% and 20%, which will be on your bill at the end of the meal, are based on the regular menu prices.

18. X and G's mom

X and G's mom DIS Veteran

I would also like to know this! We do plan on getting our meals to go and eating outside or in the room, but it would be nice to know if I need to budget more :)

19. Tricia1972

It's been confirmed by several sources that the 10% tip is no longer included in the DDP at Pepper Market.

However, there is no tip if you take your food 'to go' and dine outside or in your room.

20. X and G's mom

X and G's mom DIS Veteran

Thank you!

21. DisneyMomma1

DisneyMomma1 Mouseketeer

I have booked a WDW vacation package that gets us a $500.00 gift card when we check-in to CSR. My question is if I charge the restaurant tips to my KTTW card, when I check out of CSR can I use my $500.00 gift card to put towards them or can I use my $500.00 gift card right at the restaurant to pay the tip (We also are on the DDP so the actual meal will be covered by that)?? I hope I am explaining this right....:confused:

Thanks!