Tipping Info Thread for Disney Dining

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by Pumbaa_, Jun 28, 2008.

1. mom2of2

mom2of2 DIS Veteran

You got it!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. VeeHam

VeeHam Mouseketeer

This may have already been asked but I can't find it.

I am traveling with my family of 4 and my mom, her hubby and my nephew. We have FD. I have made all TS ressies together for all 7 of us. I want to pay all of the tips for both groups, but their food will come off of their FD. How do I do this? When we sit down and ask for two separate checks do I instruct the waiter to please add the 18% gratituity to my card? Is this possible? I guess if that doesn't work, I could give my mom a GC to pay for their tips. Thoughts?

4. mom2of2

mom2of2 DIS Veteran

Yes, they will do separate checks because of different rooms and to deduct the dining credits. Just tell the server to charge the gratuities to your room only

5. VeeHam

VeeHam Mouseketeer

Thank you!
    Would it be easier for the server to add it to my room key or give them GC to pay for the tips?

6. mom2of2

mom2of2 DIS Veteran

Room key. Then use your gc to pay off the room charges

7. mich723

mich723 Earning My Ears

This question has probably been asked already, but I couldn't find it if it was.

My friend and I will be staying in Disney this summer and using the dining plan. We are each paying our own way on tips. I was seeing about charging the tips to the room via my credit card information. She may want to do the same, so can she also put down her credit card information as well? So we'd have two credit cards on file.

If we can't do it that way, I'll just pay via credit card or cash at our meals when the time comes. Just thought it'd be easier to stick to using the key to the world card if I could.

8. lauradis

lauradis DIS Veteran

it would be easy to split tips in cash or gift card, you leave what you want and she tips what she wants

9. twhitaker

twhitaker Mouseketeer

Is the 18% for large parties calculated before or after tax?? Also how much is tax and do they charge tips at character meals like Tusker House and Ohana dinner. Thanks!

10. jenseib

jenseib Mommy to Claire

before tax and yes tips on ALL table service meals. Even buffets.

11. alayne

alayne DIS Veteran

I did not read this entire thread so forgive me if this has been asked.

We are a party of 8 for the first 7 nights of our vacation and we are on the deluxe dinning plan. My Mom does not want to have to pay for anything while we are at Disney. She isn't very good with a budget and she doesn't like to deal with it on vacation. So she has asked me if I can just give her a total (trip, tips, golf cart rental, spending money, etc) and then I keep up with it during the trip. If she spends more she will write me a check for the difference when we get home, if she spends less I will refund her money.

Now my question is - I don't have time to look at the menus and figure up what everyone is going to eat to calculate the tip. Is there just a suggested daily amount I could estimate to add to her total. Just so I can have something to work with. We have already booked our ADRs and we have 13 meals she would have to tip at. The rest the tip is either all ready included (CRT, Hoop Dee Do) or they are CS.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions.
    Allison

12. mom2of2

mom2of2 DIS Veteran

Unless you figure our exactly what she will order there really isn't a way to give you an estimate

13. Pumbaa_

Pumbaa_ >Hakuna Matata!< Moderator

My rough math guesstimate- I would figure each meal credit will be ~$50, so figure 18% of that times 13

VERY rough math :surfweb:

14. smidgy

smidgy dimples

20% is a lot easier to figure ;).... $130

15. ThreeRingCircus

ThreeRingCircus Earning My Ears

I apologize if this has already been asked in the thread, I didn't read all the way through. :)

We are doing DDP, will we see a bill at the end of each meal so we know how to tip? Or do we just guesstimate what we think the bill would have been? :confused:

16. mom2of2

mom2of2 DIS Veteran

You will still get a bill at the end of your meal.
    If you want to charge the tip to your room, write in the amount and put your KTTW card in the bill folder.
    If you want to leave cash, write CASH on the tip line.
    If you want to use another form of payment enclose that along with your KTTW card in the bill folder.
    There are suggested amounts listed for your convenience

17. abismommy

abismommy A veteran traveler, Newbie Mommy to a Princess

Wonder how charging back to the room will work in the table service restaurants with my brand spankin new magic band will work?

18. jenseib

jenseib Mommy to Claire

Same as before. They now are coming out with portable readers to bring right to the tables.

19. abismommy

abismommy A veteran traveler, Newbie Mommy to a Princess

Nice! Thanks!

#13days!!!!!

20. mom2of2

mom2of2 DIS Veteran

With a magic band or a KTTW at a TS restaurant you card or band will be scanned/tapped and you will put in your pin code. You information is then in the hand held. It will let the server know what plan your on, how many credits you have left, the make up of your party and if you have charging privledges. You will still be given a bill and still have to sign for it.

21. Brandon moore

Brandon moore Earning My Ears

That was a bundle of information. Thanks!