Tipping Info Thread for Disney Dining

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by Pumbaa_, Jun 28, 2008.

1. fici

fici Earning My Ears

Be aware that if you are on any kind of dining plan, do not order what you are not going to eat just because you are on the dining plan. The tip is based on what you order. For instance, if you do not want a dessert, do not order as it just adds to the amount that the tip is based upon. We had Deluxe Dining and at a restaurant in Epcot we did not want a a particular appetizer(at the time they were included) and the waiter insisted saying you have it included in your dining plan so why not. As it happened, we really did not eat it or want it but the tax was based on another item(s).

Just thought I would mention it. It is based on the value of what you order.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Disneytwinsmom

Disneytwinsmom DIS Veteran

I never really thought of it that way...great tip!

4. ALD85

ALD85 DIS Veteran

Non restaurant tipping question....is it customary to tip the caricaturists?

5. Malibustyle23

Malibustyle23 DIS Veteran

Forgive me if this has already been covered but we plan on being on the DDP and have an ADR for Rainforest Cafe. Can I use a RC giftcard (specifically one earned and printed from Swagbucks) solely for the gratuity?

6. jenseib

jenseib Mommy to Claire

I would think so.

7. mouserrificmom

mouserrificmom Mouseketeer

We will be using the dining plan next trip and we prefer to pay our tips in cash. We are a party of 7 for most of our meals, but in all cases they are "split parties" . . . my parents are on one reservation with a meal plan and joining us for most of our meals. So in effect, we will have 2 checks. I guess what I am wondering is A) will the automatic gratuity be automatically added as a party greater than 6, or B) because they are 2 checks, are they considered 2 separate parties? Either way is fine, and we usually tip 20%, so really the bigger question is one of convenience for us . . .

8. mom2of2

mom2of2 DIS Veteran

A.
    Even though it's separate checks each party will be charged the grat on what they ordered only.

9. TDC Nala

TDC Nala <font color=red>1937, what a year that was<br><fon Moderator

It's considered one party, so you'll get the 18%, but you'll receive 2 checks and the 18% will be figured on each check.

10. playgrl807

playgrl807 Mouseketeer

I Have a question i'm not sure if this has been answered before. I am going to Disney in September using the Disney dining plan. There will be 2 different groups but we will all be sitting together. I know there will be an 18% gratuity added. If the other group decides to get any alcohol what do you think the best way to figure out the tip split up correctly. So we are not paying 18% on alcohol.

11. maxiesmom

maxiesmom The Mean Squinty Eye Works

I would just ask for separate checks. You will still have to pay the 18% tip, but it would only be on what you ordered.

12. shoney

shoney DIS Veteran

You would get separate checks.

13. playgrl807

playgrl807 Mouseketeer

ok thank you i didn't know if you could ask for separate checks when we were sitting together and all on the dining plan.

14. FigNewton

FigNewton DIS Veteran

Even when we had 6 people all on the same dining plan they were willing to do split checks due to appetizers and alcohol. One server at Jiko didn't get it at first for some reason but getting separate was still not a problem. Youll be fine. :thumbsup2

15. jenseib

jenseib Mommy to Claire

If you are in different rooms you need to ask for a separate check per room and each room will just need to hand one room key per room to have the credits taken off.

16. Superchikk

Superchikk Earning My Ears

This will be my first time to Disney since I was a teenager. We have the Quick Service Dining Plan. My question is regarding tips at Quick Service places - is it customary to tip there or just table service restaurants? Just trying to make sure I budget properly and know what to expect.
    Thanks!

17. smidgy

smidgy dimples

it isn't customary to tip at quick service restaurants. the only exception I can think of off hand would be Wolfgang puck's express, at DTD (which is a GREAT use of a QS credit) since they bring the food out to you, many people tip 10%.
    there may be mor elike that, bu tnone that I cna think of right now. I would say almost all of them are no tip expected.

18. Superchikk

Superchikk Earning My Ears

Thank you! That clears things up for me!

And a friend just suggested Wolfgang Puck's Express at DTD. We might have to give that a try.

19. Alesia

Alesia DIS Veteran

There are 2 - the one on the Marketplace side is much better than the one on the West side.

20. Martyap

Martyap Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the great information. I hope I have it correct after reading all your advice????:

1. Quick service restaurants do not charge gratuities.
    2. Table service restaurants will charge 18% for our group of 10 (3 rooms)
    3. Payment can be made in cash at the restaurant
    4. Separate payments can also be made via the credit cards attached to each
    room. Am I correct that each of the three rooms could simply present each room card and only the gratuities for that room would be added to their tab?
    5. Hoop Dee Doo show.... the gratuity has already been included in the price.
    6. Am I missing anything???

Thanks
    Karen

21. jenseib

jenseib Mommy to Claire

Groups of 6 get charged 18%
    Each room will need to ask for a separate bill.