Tipping Info Thread for Disney Dining

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by Pumbaa_, Jun 28, 2008.

1. summermac

summermac DIS Veteran

There is no problem asking to have checks split. And actually most CMs asked us when we ordered.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. FigNewton

FigNewton DIS Veteran

In October we had six people made up of three couples in the same 2BR and therefore on the same dining plan. Even at that there was no problem getting three checks so we could all pay for our own extras and gratuities. Only once was it even questioned but it wasn't rejected. Separate checks will be no problem.

4. maxiesmom

maxiesmom The Mean Squinty Eye Works

Question: For my trip next week, we have 2 rooms and are on the dining plan. Listed on my room is my nephew, a niece, and myself. Can you all think of any way we can work the tips, other than my accosting my sister every time we eat, to cover her kid's portion of the meals? We are talking a 20yr old and a 16yr old so they won't be eating very cheaply.

5. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - b

Yep. "We need separate checks, please. We two are on one check, and these four (three, five, whatever) are on a different check".

6. jenseib

jenseib Mommy to Claire

But they will have to have their credits taken off their card.

7. jennr620

jennr620 Earning My Ears

After reading all these replies it seems to me the easiest way to go (party of 4) is just to keep some cash on hand for TS meal tips. It also gets you out of the restaurant faster not waiting for the server to return your card.

8. MichelleRenee76

MichelleRenee76 Earning My Ears

Hello -

Im new here *waves* My family (me, DH, 3YO DD, 6YO DD) leave for disney in 2 weeks...

I want to make sure I do things properly and politely. So - we tip at buffets the same as sit down? We would tip the fairy god mothers and the pirate people?

Im not trying to sound like an idiot - I just want to try and make sure I do this right - first time and all :)

Thank you
    Michelle

9. Tricia1972

Tricia1972 <font color=green>I love late night snacks<br><fon Moderator

Welcome!

You can read about how to tip at the restaurants in the original post of this thread. The mandatory amounts only apply to those using the Tables in Wonderland Card, or those with a party of 6 or more. Otherwise what you tip is up to you, and everyone has their own way of tipping and it's up to you how you want to tip at Disney's restaurants.

Fairy Godmothers and Pirate People for the makeovers are non-tipped positions, so no worries about tipping there.

Hope this helps.

Have a wonderful trip!

10. melissafox18

melissafox18 DIS Veteran

This is probably an excessively stupid question, but with character buffets (Crystal Palace in particular in our case), I was planning on tipping just like I would at a normal sit down-non buffet meal. Is that correct? I feel like I'm getting mixed messages from what I've read.

11. Tricia1972

I can understand feeling like you're getting mixed messages, people all have different opinions on what is 'right' and it often gets volatile when people disagree (especially about tipping)

Disney's rule is that if you're a party of 6 or more, or if you're using the TiW card, you tip the same % at all sit down restaurants, including buffets.

If you don't fit into one of those categories, what you tip at each restaurant is entirely up to you. If you want to tip normally, that's up to you, and if you want to adjust that, it's up to you.

Hope that this helps a little. :goodvibes

12. melissafox18

melissafox18 DIS Veteran

Thank you! That does help A LOT! I am happy to tip what I normally do in a restaurant. I just wanted to know about how much cash to have on hand. One more thing to check off the list! :goodvibes

13. mom2of2

mom2of2 <font color=blue>Let the good times strolllllll!<b

Yeah, they make it clear as mud :)

But to actually answer your question: what your thinking is correct

14. Nobtis

Nobtis Earning My Ears

Some really great info! I enjoyed reading this and thanks everyone for the input!

15. tlaw66

tlaw66 Mouseketeer

Thanks all i am asking this for the simple reason it counts twords a budget.
    I was looking at some trip reports and a few people had 3 or 4 people with them and there was a line and they were charged 18% on that ticket. Is this standard? I tend to tip well but tip mor at night then in the morning and i have to make sure i am counting enough money for this if it is always on there for 4 people. Again this is not a make or break part of the trip so be nice I just need an answer

Thanks and for some of you that seen this post in another spot i am sorry didn't no that there was a spot for it.

16. jenseib

jenseib Mommy to Claire

every receipt shows a suggested amount of tip...at 18% and 20%. You can tip how you feel.

17. mommy2paisley

mommy2paisley DIS Veteran

Okay, we are doing DXDP in November. Is there anywhere that lists abut what the prices are for each TS restaurant so I can sort of guestimate what I need to budget for a tip? Say, for instance, CP is $X for adults and $X for child so I know how much to tip based on that?

18. jenseib

jenseib Mommy to Claire

Check allears.net. They have menus and prices.

19. Laneyg

Laneyg Mouseketeer

We are a party of 8 and on the DDP. I know that gratuity will be added and I know that we can put it on our key to the world and then settle up at the end of the trip. (right)?

Well what if we prefer to leave cash? What do we need to do? Scratch something out and write cash? What's to stop them from charging it to our key as well? (Either accidentally/out of habit or on purpose)?

20. Tricia1972

You can pay the balance (gratuity) however you choose. So cash would be fine, you could also mix it up throughout the trip. Occasionally paying cash and paying with the KTTW card other times. You will sign your receipt when you use your card and you will get a receipt when you pay your gratuity in cash.

21. cathydwin

cathydwin Mouseketeer

I usually write in cash. There only time ot was automatically added to the card was when we were one of the last parties at Ohana for breakfast and we were the last poeple in there. The waitstaff did offer to remove the tip so we could pay with cash. Honestly, the tip she added was less than what we would have left