Tipping etiquette help needed please

I usually put $3 (there are 3 of us ) in an envelope marked "Mousekeeping" and leave it on the dresser or TV each morning on the way out. I make these all up ahead of time and leave them in the suitcase, so I don't have to look for singles in the AM. This was a tip I learned a couple years ago on the WDW threads.

I like to do that too. I also sometimes write a little note of thanks for the housekeeper. Sometimes we have to ask for extra towels because there are usually only 4 towels in the bathroom and I would like to have 6. If they remember each day to keep 6 towels for us I tip more.

We also sometimes make strange bedding arrangements. Like our trip in Sept. My aunt suddenly decided to join us. So we suddenly had 2 aunts, me, and my two sons and only 2 queen beds. I couldn't upgrade us to a suite at the point when she came. No biggie. I just pulled the shams off both beds and put them on the floor to make a bed. One of my aunts is allergic to down, so we used the down filled comforter and duvet to 'link' it all together. My son thought it was great. And before anyone winces, the whole thing was because they were out of sleeping bags. Or we have just done that. Anyway - at turn down, our magical bed, magically appeared. That was great service, and I did tip well for it.

If anyone here happens to be in housekeeping at DGC, is it the same staff for turn down as it is for clean-up? I always wondered about that because they would have to work like 9 hour days sometimes or more to do both. Makes me wonder if I should start leaving a small amount for the person who does our turn-downs too. I could do that in the afternoon when we come back for a little break.

But the PP housekeeping people, even though they messed up pre-check-in (I think we were given a room where people had smoked, been caught, and kicked out the same day, from the condition of the room and the smell of smoke in a non-smoking hotel), passed muster because I left a tip out for them and they did NOT take it until I put a note under it that it was for them.

We actually don't stay at PP anymore because of that. Our last two stays, both concierge suites, smelled horrible like someone had been smoking. Their solution was to bring in a carpet cleaner and then fans to dry the carpet. the second time a guy came up with what looked like a pesticide sprayer and sprayed down the rooms with air freshener. If that was all they were going to do I would have brought my own Frebreeze. I can at least say that the management tried, that's better than some places. And it wasn't their fault someone tried to smoke in the room. But in both cases, even though there was room at all 3 hotels, they wouldn't move us. that was the part that made me mad. I had to pull the "don't make me start up my computer and prove to you that I can book online" routine.

So we just stay at the Grand now. No smoking - no smoke residue from years of allowing smoking. = No Asthma attacks.

This is based completely on my years in the Restaurant business. I am not familiar with Disney Dining as this will be my first trip. Generally tipping for sit down service is anywhere between 15%-20%. Togo, curbside 5%-10% Counter service N/A. My two biggest friendly reminders is that tipping is based on service not on food taste or preparation. Please address a manager for that one. The other would be to realize that in most establishments tips in some form are shared with assistants, hostess, busser etc. :)

I never have the housekeeping come in during my stay, just put up the DND sign. I will just switch out towels in the morning when the housekeeper is near our room. If I have to call for towels, I tip the person bringing them up. We will bundle up the trash and either take it to the trash or again, if in the hall, just put it in their cart. At the end of our stay I leave a $5 on the bed. I just don't like having someone come in the room when we are not there.

We also typically tip $1 per person in the room, but I also straighten up the room before the housekeeper arrives, and pull the covers back on the bed. (DH thinks I'm nuts, but my mother would be mortified if I didn't.) ;)

If we've been a bit messy (kids spilled something, for example) or the service was extra special (one Mousekeeper posed all the boys' stuffed animals together on the bed :goodvibes ) we tip more.

DH used to leave the tip in an obvious location (like a clear spot on the bathroom counter), but last trip I grabbed regular mailing envelopes, wrote 'Mousekeeping' on the front, and we filled them with ones before we left. That way we were sure to have enough ones, and it was easy to just pull the envelope for the day out, add a bit more if necessary, and off we went. :)

Most of the places we stay have little cards in the bathroom from Housekeeping with some friendly message. I know that the Grand Californian also does this as well.

We left the daily tip of $5 under this card and they took every day.

I never thought about the turn down service, however. Does anyone tip both? Are we supposed to?

Or you can add it up and leave it with the front desk at checkout in an envelope addressed to the Executive Housekeeper with your room number and dates of stay and she will make sure it is divided up among the housekeepers that cleaned your room during your stay. I like the later method as it is also a chance for the housekeepers to be recognized by their boss. :-)

Sorry I have to disagree with this. I have worked at two different hotels and at both hotels when tips are left at the front desk for housekeeping it NEVER makes it to the housekeeping staff. It went directly into the General managers pocket! I do not recommend tipping this way. Staff at hotels tend to backstab the other departments.

As for how to tip it is really a choice. I can mention that the two hotels I have worked at all had their full time staff working Mon-to Fri and part-timers floating during weekdays and then taking over for the full timers on the weekend. So for the most part you only have one or two different Housekeepers for a one week stay. Also since tipping a housekeeper isn't a common practice seriously any one that gets a tip their co workers do not get jealous or angry they are all ust as excited.:woohoo: But if you want to tip daily then just use the note pad and pen provided in your room leave your tip on the pillow on top of the note maked for housekeeper. No need for envelopes.

I leave our tip at the end because I am not usually thinking about tippin until it is time to go. We have also never spent more then 3 nights in a hotel room either.

Most of the places we stay have little cards in the bathroom from Housekeeping with some friendly message. I know that the Grand Californian also does this as well.

We left the daily tip of $5 under this card and they took every day.

I never thought about the turn down service, however. Does anyone tip both? Are we supposed to?

I worked Turn down service, this was the best job in Housekeeping (must have been all the free mint lindor chocolates one could eat for free lol) Turn Down staff get less tips then the regular staff as we kind of like to do the turn downs like we are house elfs. Actually when I was working there we often referred to ourselves by house elf names lol! I would say if you wanted to tip TD staff then just leave $1 with a note on the bed. If you are in the room when the TD staff comes around feel free to ask for extra bottles of water and coffee (some places may charge ) my hotel was a charging hotel but s TD staff never followed that rule there was no way of keeping track of everything so it was easier to give it free and we never got in crap for it, so if you do ask for exrtra's the TD staff will be more willing to give you lots of extras :thumbsup2

Okay, but how does it work? Does housekeeping share all their tips, or does the person who happens to clean your room that day just get lucky?

The hotel I work for pools the tips together. However, if a guest gives us the tip directly then we get to keep it. Different hotels have different policies. If you do leave a daily tip then please attach a note to it. I sometimes find $$$ and sometimes wonder if it is tip money, but I can't know for sure unless the guest attaches a note. I never take the money unless I absolutely know for sure that it is a tip.

For housekeeping we tip $1 per person daily. I have special envelopes that I print that say "Housekeeping Thank you from the Boston Tea Party family." :)

I've never stayed where there is a turn down service. :rotfl2: Too rich for my blood. ;)

I've stayed at PP several times (15) and have NEVER had a problem with the rooms or housekeeping. I can't believe how many people complain about the tiniest little things. These rooms are occupied 365 days a year and you might once in awhile find a wrapper or something of that sort under the bed, but get over it, nobody's perfect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter