Tipping concierge ?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by mushu756, Oct 5, 2013.

1. mushu756

mushu756 Mouseketeer

Can you put the tip on your credit card? Not sure how you tip them . Do you get a envelope for them as you do the dining room and stateroom host ?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. JoiseyMom

JoiseyMom <font color=orange>Have you had your SPANX today??

Yes, you can put it on your credit card, or give them cash. You do get one envelope. The do split the tips equally.

FYI, there is no envelope for the bartender who serves your drinks there daily. We gave her cash at the end. She rocked!

4. mushu756

mushu756 Mouseketeer

Thank you for the quick response ... Dare I ask what the average tip is

5. JoiseyMom

There is no average. It is up to you. DH asked a guy he became friendly with and he tipped 100.00/day (so 700 for our cruise) :scared1:. Nope he wasn't in the Royal....LOL. It is really up to you. There are many threads here on that topic. I will tell you that their salary is now just the tips, which really kinda sucks. But I guess in the long run they might make more? But who knows...

6. jayteadunn

jayteadunn Earning My Ears

We had 3 on our last cruise and in talking with others in the concierge level they tipped between $75 and $100 each for a 7 day cruise.

7. kapoof

kapoof DIS Veteran

What if you really don't use their services, no booking excursions, no real request other than to sit in the lounge for a quick bite? Still 100.00 a day?

8. Pegasus928

Pegasus928 DIS Veteran

$100 per person per day for concierge? Wow that's scary. And there was me thinking that paying more for the service in the first place meant a tip wasn't necessary at their level.

9. mintwax

mintwax Earning My Ears

It appears there's a wide range. On other threads, people report tips being much much lower.

10. kapoof

kapoof DIS Veteran

I know...

11. Dug720

Dug720 SQUIRREL!!

No clue about average.

We were on a three-night and didn't really use the services other than happy hour. We did enjoy chatting with them at times. If I remember correctly, we tipped them $150 (I believe total) and the girls who did the drinks $20 each.

My parents had cash so that's what we used.

12. Bear3412

Bear3412 DIS Veteran

13. LuvENDisney

LuvENDisney Trying to plan our next trip to WDW!

Thanks for sharing what you did. Was your tip, in addition to the suggested tip that they can automatically charge to your card? Just trying to figure out how much cash we will need to bring. Thanks!

14. Bear3412

Bear3412 DIS Veteran

The concierge(s) are not included in the auto tip. It is discretionary.

15. Dug720

Dug720 SQUIRREL!!

What Bear said. There is no auto-gratuity for concierge (which makes it weird that allegedly their only salary is from tips which nothing is ever said about. EVER.).

16. LuvENDisney

LuvENDisney Trying to plan our next trip to WDW!

Thanks Bear and Dug720. I didn't realize that. Is that just for stateroom? Will they auto tip for our servers?

17. Dug720

Dug720 SQUIRREL!!

The standard tips (room steward, main server, assistant server, head server) remain the same as if you were not sailing concierge. Whatever you tip concierge is extra and above.

18. JoiseyMom

This is what this one individual did. And he utilized the concierge and new them very well from taking quite a few trips. We didn't tip anywhere near that amount.

19. JoiseyMom

Well this was told to us by concierge. They are a tipped only position now, even at their level.

20. Lisa Lisa

Lisa Lisa DIS Veteran

DH and I sailed concierge last month on the Dream (4-night itinerary). What we ended up doing was looking at what DCL recommends for the other tipped positions on the ship and then arriving at an amount based on how much we used each person's services. Tips for the concierge hosts are divided evenly among the three-person team. DH and I decided on $15/person/day, or $120 total. We were regulars at the early cocktail reception and typically had two drinks apiece. We tipped the bartender $40 (cash). We stopped in the lounge at least twice per day for snacks, coffee, and bottled water, so we tipped the woman who was in charge of food and beverages $20 (also cash). We asked for two extra tip envelopes in the concierge lounge and used them for the bartender and the woman who took care of the food. We just crossed out "Server" and wrote the names of the people we were tipping.

21. Donna3271

Donna3271 DIS Veteran

I may get flamed for this...

I find it a little unsettling that crew members feel compelled to tell concierge guests they do not get salary, and rely SOLELY on tips (seems in poor taste, and can be viewed as pandering).

I also find it unsettling that Disney would charge $10k++ for a concierge cruise and not give the concierge staff at least a small salary.

I believe they DO receive a base salary from Disney.