Tinker Bell ½ Marathon Weekend ~ 2014 Check-in!

You still finished, so that's an accomplishment! :goodvibes No RnR SJ for me. I work on 1st Street, and live by SCU, so I'm on a lot of the route almost everyday so I skip that one. I've done it twice, but the last one was my last, the course was just to boring for me, but is was my 1st 1/2. Double check on the Hot Chocolate run, I wanted to do the one in SF, but I thought I saw that they weren't able to do this year's. But you might be doing one somehwere else. I am doing the Color Run next month at the Stick. Super excited for that one, the videos get me so stoked. Just trying to figure out how I can keep the car clean when I drive home.

Doing other runs that increase in distance is a good way to get you ready for the 1/2. I just jumped from a 5k to the 1/2, and my 1st training program was 16 weeks w/ the gym. But now I just do 12 weeks.

Heads up if you haven't registered yet, reg jumped to 63% this morning.

Aww, thanks for letting me know about the SF Hot Chocolate run. I always go straight to the San Francisco site and they still have 11/10/12 as the race date even though the main page says it cancelled. Hope I can find something else.

Registered for Tinkerbell 1/2 in 2013. This will be my first half marathon. Running with 3 of my girlfriends :-)

We are doing the Jeff Galloway run/ walk training plan. We are up to running 8 minutes, walking 1 minute, with a distance of 8 miles.

Registered for Tinkerbell 1/2 in 2013. This will be my first half marathon. Running with 3 of my girlfriends :-)

We are doing the Jeff Galloway run/ walk training plan. We are up to running 8 minutes, walking 1 minute, with a distance of 8 miles.

You are going to rock it if you are already at 8 miles! Great job!

PT says I am fixable- should be back to running in a couple of weeks. Yay!

Lisa- thanks. I found a blog (maybe your friends?) where the bike lady told her around 11ish miles she was going to finish. That's pretty much the same at Princess, and I am really good with that. I do not expect to be in trouble as I should be able to run in the 13-14 min miles this year (last year I was still carrying a lot of baby weight) but it's always GREAT to hear that this is a "safe" zone. :)

I am so excited because I have gotten registered and our villa is booked! Now for the distance training--I hope Tink will send me some Pixie Dust:yay:

I just started C25K last week so I am in no way a runner but plan to be by the time Tink rolls around. :cool1:

So my question is about the talk of the walk being to far from Hojo's to PP for the start. Wouldn't a 30 min walk be a good warmup for the run? :confused3

I know I will be the one crying after the run walking back but I figure I have all day to make it back and the occasional rest stop in the park will not be a hardship.

I plan on being there for 5 days so the entire stay at Hojo's is what one night at PP would cost even with the race discount on the room. Am I making a big mistake staying at Hojo's?

On another note I signed up for my first ever 5K. :banana:
It is an Ocean beach fun run/walk on 7/7. Of course I will run/walk as I will only be finishing week 3 of the C25K. But it is a good excuse to go to the coast for the weekend and I get to take a crabbing class on the friday. yum yum

I am so so excited for this race!! Just need to book our room! This will be my first half, and I can't wait!! Was going to do the DL in Sept, but I waited too long to sign up, and it sold out.

You are going to rock it if you are already at 8 miles! Great job!

Thanks! Not too shabby for just starting to run since January. Totally credit the Galloway plan for helping me be successful :goodvibes

I just started C25K last week so I am in no way a runner but plan to be by the time Tink rolls around. :cool1:

So my question is about the talk of the walk being to far from Hojo's to PP for the start. Wouldn't a 30 min walk be a good warmup for the run? :confused3

I know I will be the one crying after the run walking back but I figure I have all day to make it back and the occasional rest stop in the park will not be a hardship.

I plan on being there for 5 days so the entire stay at Hojo's is what one night at PP would cost even with the race discount on the room. Am I making a big mistake staying at Hojo's?

It is an Ocean beach fun run/walk on 7/7. Of course I will run/walk as I will only be finishing week 3 of the C25K. But it is a good excuse to go to the coast for the weekend and I get to take a crabbing class on the friday. yum yum

I was thinking the same thing about it being a good warm up LOL! We are staying at the Fairfield Inn (using points) so will have a warm up walk too! I don't see it being much of a big deal to walk that far.

YAAAAY! For your first 5k!

It's not a huge deal, honestly. At the Princess in WDW you have no choice- you end up walking about 30-45 min total just to get to the race start from the parking lot where the buses unload you. 10-15 to the staging area, then another 20-30 to the corrals. It does kinda suck, though, I won't lie. I hate that walk.

For me, it's just a preference. I want to save my legs the extra walking if I can. Plus after the race, I am REALLY looking for the shortest route between me and the ice bath that I can find. (ok, I'll admit, the hot tub. Had a much better recovery with the hot tub last year than the ice bath the year before) Plus if I don't have the 30 extra minutes to walk, I can sleep in a tad bit more if possible.

It's not a BAD thing to walk 30 min before you get to the starting line- or even to walk back after (good for the legs to keep moving) It's just that *I* don't want to do it.

I would be at HoJo over PP because of the cost too. No questions. It's great to be right there at the start (had 2 friends stay there for the race last year and they LOVED it) but the cost... oh man, the cost! :)

I started with C25K in Feb or March and loved the program! I'll be runing my 2nd 5K race on the 30th and hope to improve my time over my first one.

As for Hojo's I'll be staying there as well as are quite a few people on the WISH thread. Love Hojo's and the price couldn't be beat. And I'm with you, I'm thinking it will be a good warm up. The trick will be staying warm once we're in the corrals and waiting for the start!

It's not a BAD thing to walk 30 min before you get to the starting line- or even to walk back after (good for the legs to keep moving) It's just that *I* don't want to do it.

:rotfl: That's me too! If I wasn't running the weekend before and need all of my legs I can salvage, I would be staying at HoJo's too.

But the one big downside to staying over on Harbor is that we have to go through security on the way back. :sad2: I really, really hate that part, especially if the lines are long. I get that they need to check bags, but we're not going into the park, we just want to get back to our hotel, take a shower and relax for a few minutes. And they will check our bags even though they are see through and can tell we just ran a race. I keep telling them in the post race surveys that they need to add a runners' only line so we can just keep going.

I signed up with my 6 yr old to run the 5k with me, since I have no one to watch him he will be joining me! He also wants to do the kids dash. We're both excited plus were adding a couple days in at the parks ;)

:rotfl: That's me too! If I wasn't running the weekend before and need all of my legs I can salvage, I would be staying at HoJo's too.

But the one big downside to staying over on Harbor is that we have to go through security on the way back. :sad2: I really, really hate that part, especially if the lines are long. I get that they need to check bags, but we're not going into the park, we just want to get back to our hotel, take a shower and relax for a few minutes. And they will check our bags even though they are see through and can tell we just ran a race. I keep telling them in the post race surveys that they need to add a runners' only line so we can just keep going.

Explain this to me, please. I haven't been to DL since I was a wee babe so I don't remember the lay of the land. Are you saying that walking back to HoJo for example requires going through the Parks? Can you go around it and not need to go through security? We don't finish in a park, right?

And are the parks typically open by the time the runners are finished? In the Tink case- we are starting at 5am, so even with A-E corrals (assuming they keep the same set up, but it could be a bigger race this year) going off 6 min apart, the last corral should be starting 5:24, right? Last runners off the course by 9ish. Does DL open at 9 during the winter?

Just trying to picture how the flow post race goes. :) Thank you!

Explain this to me, please. I haven't been to DL since I was a wee babe so I don't remember the lay of the land. Are you saying that walking back to HoJo for example requires going through the Parks? Can you go around it and not need to go through security? We don't finish in a park, right?

And are the parks typically open by the time the runners are finished? In the Tink case- we are starting at 5am, so even with A-E corrals (assuming they keep the same set up, but it could be a bigger race this year) going off 6 min apart, the last corral should be starting 5:24, right? Last runners off the course by 9ish. Does DL open at 9 during the winter?

Just trying to picture how the flow post race goes. :) Thank you!

DL and CA share a large esplanade. In this open area esplanade, there are ticket booths and the entrances to both parks. Security is set up on each end of the esplanade, not at the individual parks. To get to/from HoJos, you'll have to walk through security, through the esplanade, and back out of the other security side. I'm pretty sure security opens 1 hour prior to park opening.

Me and several of my friends are in for the 5K and half marathon. We want to keep our legacy status.

Here is a photo of the esplanade between the parks (DL north CA south). The green tents on the far east & west are security.

Also, last year I was in E corral :( because it was my first race. I started at about 6:15 (race began at 5:45). If people get about 3:45 to finish, that would be 10:00. DL opened at 9 am this year. I'm thinking you'd have to be finished by 7-715 am if you want to get snacks and photos and head back before security sets up. I bet they'll be there at 8am.

28327fdf.jpg

I signed up with my 6 yr old to run the 5k with me, since I have no one to watch him he will be joining me! He also wants to do the kids dash. We're both excited plus were adding a couple days in at the parks ;)

Have fun! We're signing my DDs (8 & 6) for the 5k. They've done kids triathlons, but this will be their first distance run. They talked my mom into running with them. She was recently diagnosed with COPD, so I'm hoping they will have fun and be able to finish. Great reason to get her to do some light training exercising!

I went ahead and signed DD5 up for the kids dash last night. I'm not positive we'll be able to make the trip down on friday, our original plan was a saturday drive, but just in case we can I wanted to have her registered because I know she would love it. Worst case scenario I just bought her a $20 shirt but best case scenario we go down a day early and she gets to participate!

Thank you for the picture and explanation! That helps with visuals for me.

Have fun! We're signing my DDs (8 & 6) for the 5k. They've done kids triathlons, but this will be their first distance run. They talked my mom into running with them. She was recently diagnosed with COPD, so I'm hoping they will have fun and be able to finish. Great reason to get her to do some light training exercising!

Thanks! You have fun as well thats a good plan for your mom run/walk!

Hi all! *wave*

I'm registered for the half and the 5k. I'm coming down from Vancouver, Canada and staying at the Disneyland Hotel as a treat for myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter