Tinker Bell ½ Marathon Weekend ~ 2014 Check-in!

I took your advice on the other thread and went with BW Stovalls. As long as they don't change the start and finish lines, I'm happy! I found a discounted site for the hotel too. Love me a bargain.

I will leave on Monday, I'm pretty sure. Maybe even Sunday depending on what the flights look like. So minimal park time for me this time. I'm going to WDW in Feb so I can make up any rides I miss then.

Im staying at the Hojo as well and am planning on a 30 minute walk at the most.

Can anyone tell me about the 5K? Does it usally sell out? And do people walk it? I was thinking it might be fun for my mom and DD to do.

I posted an answer for you, but on the WISH thread. :goodvibes

How many run the race?

I think they held registration to 13,000 or so, but like OP said, about 10 ran/finished.

I've done the Princess 3 times, so I have a general idea on what to expect (long walk to corrals there too)

Just an FYI~ the corrals are sooooo much closer at DL. I've done that walk and will be doing it the weekend before and I couldn't believe it the 1st time I did it, I felt like I was walking forever. They just like to spoil us at DL! :rotfl: The staging area/finish line are in the PP parking lot and the start line is no more than .1m walk.

Seriously, I may lose my WDW #1 fan badge after all this, but DL is looking better and better. LOL

Just hope the race has more entertainment. I heard compared to WDW there just isn't as much. It would sure be nice if they were able to amp up some entertainment around miles 7,8 and 9. That's where I lag big time. I'm slow anyway, but I get REALLY slow by then.

This race will be my first half marathon and I am wondering......to wear a costume or to not wear a costume? If so, does anyone have suggestions on how to buy or create one that is comfortable for the race?

My friend and I weren't up for all the wings last year so we put our Tink ears on our camelbacks. Such a great race! I highly suggest it. RunDisney did a fabulous job.
TinkCamelbacks.jpg

Now that's cute!!!

I wore a mini mouse red/white polka dot running skirt last year to the princess. I don't think I can mess with a full on costume yet, though I have dreams of running as Princess Leia at the Princess one year. Side Buns and all.

Seriously, I may lose my WDW #1 fan badge after all this, but DL is looking better and better. LOL

Just hope the race has more entertainment. I heard compared to WDW there just isn't as much. It would sure be nice if they were able to amp up some entertainment around miles 7,8 and 9. That's where I lag big time. I'm slow anyway, but I get REALLY slow by then.

The Tink course is a lot better on the outside of the park part than the DL 1/2, in my opinion. Miles 7-9 we'll be in the city part and out there they have college/HS bands, cheerleaders, a mariachi band and a hawaiian band/dance group. They had the cutest little hula dancers too. Mile 6- almost 9 we were in the residential and downtown area which was nice. But from 9-10 1/2, it's kind of boring to look at ~ it's the industrial part, but that's also where the mariachi and hawaiin bands are. Also right at or before 9 there was a huge Cliff Bar section where they handed out gu, but there were huge flags and music playing. Once you go through the underpass of the 5 and are on Disney Way, you are running straight towards the park and TOT. I was surprised this year about the amount of spectators there were compared to the DL 1/2, but that could also be b/c we were in more residential areas.

I think the big difference b/w the races at WDW and DL is that WDW owns all the area surrounding the parks so there are more characters on the course. W/ the DL races, we only have characters in the parks and backstage. But if you match up character stops in WDW w/ the entertainment parts in DL, it's about the same.

My friend and I weren't up for all the wings last year so we put our Tink ears on our camelbacks.

I had those ears too! But I pinned them to my running hat.

51% full after only a few days. Oh, wow. I got paid from job #1 today but I needed that money for something else. I guess I'm going to have to use it to register and then hold things over until job #2 pays me on Wednesday. No, no, no, no. But I am not missing out on this one.

For the legacy runners, you get a different bib than the others and your lanyard on your medal is different as well. They also have a list, at least w/ the 5th for the DL, of all the legacies posted in the race weekend program. I didn't pay attention last year at the DL 1/2 so I not sure if they do the legacy stuff just on the anniversaries or if the start at the 5th and keep it up every year.

What's a legacy runner and how do you become one?

Also, I noticed your from San Jose. Are you doing the San Jose Giants run this Saturday? It'll be my first 5k, so excited!

The Tink course is a lot better on the outside of the park part than the DL 1/2, in my opinion. Miles 7-9 we'll be in the city part and out there they have college/HS bands, cheerleaders, a mariachi band and a hawaiian band/dance group. They had the cutest little hula dancers too. Mile 6- almost 9 we were in the residential and downtown area which was nice. But from 9-10 1/2, it's kind of boring to look at ~ it's the industrial part, but that's also where the mariachi and hawaiin bands are. Also right at or before 9 there was a huge Cliff Bar section where they handed out gu, but there were huge flags and music playing. Once you go through the underpass of the 5 and are on Disney Way, you are running straight towards the park and TOT. I was surprised this year about the amount of spectators there were compared to the DL 1/2, but that could also be b/c we were in more residential areas.

I think the big difference b/w the races at WDW and DL is that WDW owns all the area surrounding the parks so there are more characters on the course. W/ the DL races, we only have characters in the parks and backstage. But if you match up character stops in WDW w/ the entertainment parts in DL, it's about the same.

I had those ears too! But I pinned them to my running hat.

THANKS! 7-9 is where I take a "mini break." I slow down. Way down. Not on purpose, not planned, but it's just what has happened with my 3 halves so far. Hoping that I can push past that this year though. I have some big goals for time improvement. That doesn't mean I'll be that much faster from a speed perspective, just that I will be running more and walking less I hope! I do Galloway, but like I said, 7-9 ends up more walking that running.

Anyone know the scoop on sweepers? At WDW, once you hit mile 11 and go over the overpass into Epcot, as long as you can keep moving, they let you finish. Balloon lady and sweeper bikes go away. Is there a "safe" point at Tink? (assuming they keep the same course)

What's a legacy runner and how do you become one?

Also, I noticed your from San Jose. Are you doing the San Jose Giants run this Saturday? It'll be my first 5k, so excited!

A legacy runner is a runner who's run all of the events from the beginning. For Tink, you would have to have started this year and keep running Tink every year and then you get recognized at the 5th and so on.

I am running tomorrow morning! Heading over after work to pick up my bib. I'm really excited for this one, it looks like a lot of fun, but a little worried about how hot it could be tomorrow morning. Hopefully it won't be too bad. Are you going to do the SF one in Sept for the socks?

Anyone know the scoop on sweepers? At WDW, once you hit mile 11 and go over the overpass into Epcot, as long as you can keep moving, they let you finish. Balloon lady and sweeper bikes go away. Is there a "safe" point at Tink? (assuming they keep the same course)

I know there are sweepers, but don't know where their safe spot is. I know w/ it being the 1st year last year, there were some problems and confusion and people who were safe, but at the very back, got picked up. Hopefully that won't happen again this year. I would guess that once you got to the underpass of the 5 you area okay, b/c from there it's just down Disney Way and then most of the rest is inside the back area of DCA where the public isn't allowed. And once you come out from there, you turn left on DL Drive for a block, then right on Katella for 1/2 a block and the turn into the parking lot for the finish line.

A legacy runner is a runner who's run all of the events from the beginning. For Tink, you would have to have started this year and keep running Tink every year and then you get recognized at the 5th and so on.

I am running tomorrow morning! Heading over after work to pick up my bib. I'm really excited for this one, it looks like a lot of fun, but a little worried about how hot it could be tomorrow morning. Hopefully it won't be too bad. Are you going to do the SF one in Sept for the socks?

Thanks for the legacy info!

Yup, I'm signed up for the SF 5K too. I wanted to try the 10k but it was sold out already. My training has been going slow anyways (I'm only on week 3 of C25k right now) so that worked out pretty good :)

Anyways, good luck tomorrow and hopefully it doesn't get hot till later in the day!

QUOTE]

I'll be doing the SF one in September, gonna do the 10K! Wont get the cool socks since I'm not doing the SJ one.

Anyways, good luck tomorrow and hopefully it doesn't get hot till later in the day!

How'd you do yesterday? I liked it, glad it wasn't too hot. Really liked going through Kelly Park, I haven't been there since I was a kid and being shaded really helped.

I'll be doing the SF one in September, gonna do the 10K! Wont get the cool socks since I'm not doing the SJ one.

See ya there! I'm doing the 10k too.

I'm in! This will be my first race of any type, and I'm really excited! I figure if a trip to Disneyland isn't enough to get me motivated, nothing is!

It still says 51% full. Not sure if it just hasn't updated or if this is accurate. I hope it stays that way until the middle of July!

Today was my rest day, didn't do much resting, but that's okay. Skipping the gym tomorrow in favor of emptying my garage into my backyard, taking a sledgehammer to the old rotten cabinets and work bench and adding metal shelves. I think that counts as strength training. Back to running on Tuesday!

I'm seeing a PT today for some hip pain. I've been off running for about 6 weeks hoping I just strained/pulled something that needed rest. Well, it's 80% better, but it still hurts some days. I am very leery of running on something I don't know if I am making it worse or not!

My motivation? Going to Disney. That means I have to run half marathons to get to go to Disney. So I *have* to be healthy enough to start real training in Sept. Hoping PT is able to assure me it's ok to start running again, and gives me stretches to help fix it.

I do the foam roller and that helped a ton, but since it lingered so long, I figure it's time to get it checked.

I am still on the fence about doing this race. I want to preserve my legacy status and we will be moving to norcal this summer so this will be the cheaper alternative. OTOH, I also really want to do marathon weekend (just the half for me, I want to be able to enjoy the parks too!). Anyway, I am so tempted to do both, but we will have to see how the finances work out after we move.

I did want to respond to questions about where you have to get to in order to avoid being swept. We had specualted last year that it was once you get into DCA (mile 11.5 and the last water station) and that turned out to be the case. A friend of mine who was in the back was told that once she got to this point she would not be swept. I also paid attention to the road closure times that were posted in the race program as a general guideline for when I needed to be out of those areas.

How'd you do yesterday? I liked it, glad it wasn't too hot. Really liked going through Kelly Park, I haven't been there since I was a kid and being shaded really helped.

It took me 51 mins to finish the 5K. I hate that it took me that long! My goal is to finish the SF one in 30 minutes and run most of the way. How did you do? I liked the park too! I never been there before and thought it was neat to have stuff to look at during the run.

I signed up for the Tinker Bell half so I have a lot of work to do before then to get ready. Are you signed up for any other Bay Area runs? I'm thinking about signing up for the mini San Jose Rock N Roll (5 miles) and then the Hot Chocolate 15k.. it seems like a good way to help build up to a half. Is that what you did to prepare for your first half?

It took me 51 mins to finish the 5K. I hate that it took me that long! My goal is to finish the SF one in 30 minutes and run most of the way. How did you do? I liked the park too! I never been there before and thought it was neat to have stuff to look at during the run.

I signed up for the Tinker Bell half so I have a lot of work to do before then to get ready. Are you signed up for any other Bay Area runs? I'm thinking about signing up for the mini San Jose Rock N Roll (5 miles) and then the Hot Chocolate 15k.. it seems like a good way to help build up to a half. Is that what you did to prepare for your first half?

You still finished, so that's an accomplishment! :goodvibes No RnR SJ for me. I work on 1st Street, and live by SCU, so I'm on a lot of the route almost everyday so I skip that one. I've done it twice, but the last one was my last, the course was just to boring for me, but is was my 1st 1/2. Double check on the Hot Chocolate run, I wanted to do the one in SF, but I thought I saw that they weren't able to do this year's. But you might be doing one somehwere else. I am doing the Color Run next month at the Stick. Super excited for that one, the videos get me so stoked. Just trying to figure out how I can keep the car clean when I drive home.

Doing other runs that increase in distance is a good way to get you ready for the 1/2. I just jumped from a 5k to the 1/2, and my 1st training program was 16 weeks w/ the gym. But now I just do 12 weeks.

Heads up if you haven't registered yet, reg jumped to 63% this morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter