Timeshare Resale

the griswolds

Earning My Ears
We presently have a timeshare interest at OKW. We are also looking into purchasing more points. Can anyone give me the lowdown on timeshare resales. What are some reputable dealers, how does my use year (APRIL) affect any purchase. Is it a lot more trouble than going direct through Disney?? Any problems you may have experienced through resales?? Are there a lot of savings throuhg resales?? This is a new area for us and we are just a bit apprehensive, any help would be appreciated.

Start by checking the Timeshare Store promoted at the top of this page. Friends of ours got a resale for OKW through them last year after joining us at OKW and loving it. Points will be cheaper than Disney, but you will have closing costs. Be sure to check on the point status of the contract you are buying. A contract with all points used and borrowed isn't as good a deal as one with all points intact.

In addition to The Timeshare Store you can contact Jaki Apetz at A Timeshare Broker 888-345-2622 website is www.atimeshare.com

We bought through Jaki along with many other members on these boards. Dealing with these two agents will assure you that you are getting good advice and things will go smoothly.

It is good to work with multiple agents to see the different resales that are available. As you will see there are a lot of resales out their right now. I would say it is a buyers market right now and you are free to negotiate your own deals.

As for saving money you can definitely save some money doing a resale. Financing is difficult through resale and that is were Disney has it over the resale market however you will not be paying the $ 75 a pt through resale. Most are going for $ 62-$ 65 will some at $ 58 - $ 60. Make your best offer best on what you want to spend and do not worry about the transaction. These agents will work with you and walk through it with you.

Good luck

Ed
DVC 1994

We are in the process of buying our second add-on through the Timeshare Store. We had good experiences and saved quite a bit even after factoring in closing costs. Use year is more of an accounting issue for you to keep track of different use years. Also you have a different contract number for different use years.
Good Luck.

The two on-line brokers mentioned above (The Timeshare Store and Atimeshare) are experienced at these kinds of sales and the process is fairly easy; not as easy as Disney but mostly painless and quick. With a resale you can negotiate price, division of dues for the year, and who pays closing costs. Often the deal you are looking for will not be in your use year, but all that means is that you will end up with two different use years and two different member numbers--and then you have to keep track of two contracts and juggle them for a trip (no real problem).

Whether going resale or through Disney depends on a number of factors:

1. If you want OKW then a resale is the way as OKW is sold out through Disney. Through Disney right now you would get VWL, VB or HH.

2. Paying cash is a factor that weighs in favor of resale. If you have to finance then you need to do a number of calculations. Disney's finance rates tend to be a few points lower than market rates for timeshare loans and that difference in rates could mean that your actual overall cost for a resale at say $65 a point is more than going through Disney at $75. If you can finance at a low home loan rate (on your existing home) or through a low rate union or employer program then it is possible to get a rate lower than Disney.

3. Closing costs on a resale are usually in the $400 to $500 range and that amount tends to be fixed regardless of how many points you buy. Disney pays closing costs on new sales. The buyer in a resale does so unless negotiated otherwise. Thus, you need to consider the impact of closing costs on the deal. If what you are looking for is a low point, say 50, add on rather than a 150 points or more, then a resale may not be the way to go for two reasons: (a) low point contracts are seldom available in resale, and (b) if you have to pay those closing costs your actual cost per point may exceed Disney's price. For example, a $67 per point 50 point resale with the added $500 in closing costs works out to a real price of $77 a point.

4. Examine closely what you are going to make an offer on. The true value of a resale partly depends on the actual points currently available. A 150 point contract with all current year's points still available has more value than a 150 point contract where the seller has already used the current year's points. You often find seller's seeking high prices for contracts that require much lower prices because the seller has used up all current year's points and borrowed and used up all of next year's points.

We purchased OKW through The Timshare Store this summer and everything went great. Wew worked with Shontell and everything was signed and completed within 3 weeks from start to finish. Of course we did pay a $35 expedite fee but that was o.k. since we were able to use our points within weeks of having them. I would recommend Shontell - good luck.

My husbands parents have owned since the beginning and we have just purchased our own contract. I'm not sure if this has already been suggested but I would definitely get the same use year, it makes accounting and making reservations a little easier. :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter