Time to get to MCO?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by imortalcandy, Feb 26, 2010.

1. imortalcandy

imortalcandy Mouseketeer

If the ship gets back at 7:30am will we have time to catch a 9:30 flight or would it be safer to get a 10:30 or noon flight?
    Its just DH and I, no kids
    *edit*
    we will probably get a rental car.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. disneylove69

disneylove69 DIS Veteran

If you dont have a car and take Disney transportation you could be waiting up to an hour for the bus to leave and then it's a :45 drive to MCO, check luggage, go through security (takes awhile at MCO). When the ship dock it has to wait for clearance before they can let you off. I would go for after 12.

4. safetymom

safetymom Super Moderator

The 10:30 is possible but I would take the noon flight. That way you have some leeway if there is a delay getting the ship cleared.

5. outahere

outahere DIS Veteran

There is no way I would try to make a 9:30 flight! Even if Customs does clear the ship early, you would have no chance of getting a rental car and making that flight. Unless you are going to leave a rental car parked at the port while you cruise, plan on at least 45 minutes to get a shuttle and rent the car. Then it's about 45 - 60 minutes to the airport (depending on traffic) and then you have to return the car and check in with the airline. Absolute best case scenario would probably be about 2 hours from the time you leave the ship. Plus - getting through security at MCO is really hit or miss. We've had a couple of times where we were in line for close to an hour.

Save yourself the stress and take the the noon flight.

6. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

DO NOT schedule a flight before 11:30.

Yes, I've been at MCO at 9, but you can't count on it. All it takes is a wreck on 528 and you're late to the airport. Also, MCO is an airport that wants you there at least 2 hours before your flight and sometimes needs every minute of that. Security can be backed up for an hour! In addition, if you are on a participating airline and doing on board check in, you can't use the luggage service for a flight before 11:25...meaning that you have to do luggage check in as well.

It's not worth the risk.

7. mammacaryn

mammacaryn Don't be a JERK!

Our flights have both been 11:30-Noon.