Time Outs

Penelope Brewster

Princess Punky
I am taking two grandkids for first time. They are 6 and 8. Never had an issue like this before as my other grandkids are angels.
So where is the best spot in each park for a time out if the kids get out of hand?
I simply do not do well with parents who can not keep their children under control and let them swing around swords, wands, light Sabres etc.

You feel pretty sure that the kids will act up? Do either of them have a diagnosis like ADHD? Both my kids have been diagnosed with ADHD, though they each have a different type. I find it's best to try to head off any overstimulation before it gets out of hand, Tom Sawyer Island is a great place in MK to take the kids to let them blow off steam in an appropriate way. Probably you will not want to pass up any play areas, take the opportunity to stop and let the kids run. Standing in line all day can be incredibly frustrating for anyone, especially for kids with ADHD whose brains are always on, and these kids typically have impulse control issues as well. When most of their day is rigidly structured (be up at this time, stand in these lines, get to such and such for ADR, etc.) it's very important to schedule some opportunities for unstructured play. Trust me, 6 and 8 are not too old for any of the Disney playgrounds, as long as they will be careful not to trample the little kids. I have other tips for warding off overstimulation in ADHD kids, but since that's not what you're asking for I won't bore you with those details. Unfortunately I don't know any good spots for disciplinary timeouts, sorry I can't really help you with that but hopefully someone here has advice about it. I take my kids aside for a quiet talk about their behavior wherever I need to, as long as I'm not blocking other people.

We have done time outs on out of the way benches several times and if they get to out of line we go back to the hotel room (that only happened once). Ours learned real quick that rides are a lot more fun than benches lol.

Thank you. I think this will work. It is not ADHD...they just use their swords, light Sabres etc. and have been known to near whack others while swinging them. I prefer not to buy those until we leave but many of the attractions work better with the props. I see other kids behaving the same way but I do not intend to allow it other than at appointed times. And smacking them is frowned upon.

Anywhere on a bench or anything like this. All parks have benches situated just about everywhere. It's really not a good idea to take them into a boring show or anything like that, just because there's always the possibility of a meltdown and that'll just upset the guests around you.

Thank you. I think this will work. It is not ADHD...they just use their swords, light Sabres etc. and have been known to near whack others while swinging them. I prefer not to buy those until we leave but many of the attractions work better with the props. I see other kids behaving the same way but I do not intend to allow it other than at appointed times. And smacking them is frowned upon.
What attractions? I don't know of any that require a prop....

63519003.jpg

The best place to enforce a time out is somewhere close to where you are, because it works best when enforced immediately. You don't want to be walking 10 minutes to get somewhere for a time out. I'd be inclined to say "Take a time out at that wall right there." Just look in your immediate area and pick a place.

Now if they are swinging a sword or something around, I'd take it away immediately. If it happened more than once, they'd lose it for the rest of the day. We usually avoid carrying purchases in the park as much as possible, eliminate the temptation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter