Tijuana for a day trip

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
Hello ~ My in-laws recommended that we take a day trip to Tijuana from SD. What is the timeline like? Blessings, Sandra

We did that when we visited my friend who lived in San Diego. We took the tram from the station near her house to the boarder then walked across. It took us maybe 20 minutes from her house until we were there. Getting in to Mexico is quick as there are no passport checks, you just go through a couple of turnstyles then walk over the bridge. Coming back however took about an hour (and the line wasn't that long!) due to the security and customs checks.
We only stayed there a few hours as I didn't feel too comfortuble there. There were lots of children begging and the store owners pester you to look around their shops.
It was a good experience though and we did buy a few unique things when we were there so I am glad we went. I probably wouldn't do it again though.

If the reason to go is to remind yourself how great it is to live in the US, then go for it. Otherwise, it is a poor, dirty, third world city. It is nothing like the Mexican Riveria, where they hide the poverty and crime.
To give you an idea of how bad it is down there, the Navy and Marine Corps has banned US service men from traveling there while on active duty due to the fact that they were getting drunk, and then "Rolled" (Robbed and beaten) by local residents. Save your money, and use that day to visit all of the great Southern California spots.

While we were in San Diego, my DH and I went there with a group of friends before any of us started having kids. Good thing we did, because none of us would probably take our kids there. My girlfriends and I refused to go to the public washrooms, because we weren't quite sure what we were more afraid of -- getting robbed in the bathrooms or how dirty they were. We gave some money to small children (some just toddlers) who were begging on the streets and bought some souvenirs from shopkeepers who hounded us. The place is sad and scary at the same time. We were constantly worried about getting pickpocketed or jumped.

Like the previous poster suggested...spend your time in SD.

Grayline tours offers a day trip there. You might check it out. I would imagine they take you to places you would be safe otherwise they could be held responsible.

I definitly would not recommend going down there. It took 3 hours from Beverly Hills and my dad and I accidentally crossed the border instead of going into the little turning lane or something. It took 2 hours to get through a 5 mile road to get back into the US. And with everyone being poor there, you had kids running up to the car with cups jingling trying to ask you for money. After we finally got out, I was scared for my life and had a night flight we just made. The next day I was crying( I never cry) for my mom to let me stay home. I was 13 years old then and now I still dread it. Stay in CA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter