Tie Your Napkin 'Round Your Neck, Cherie! Completed 6/12/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day Two: Dinner- Columbia Harbour House

The Magic Kingdom stayed open until 1 AM for EMH so we waited until about 7 to head over for a quick service dinner. Columbia Harbour House is hands down one of my favorite counter services on the property. I love the ambiance of the restaurant and even though I've been there when it was so crowded there was hardly a seat in the house, it's never seemed loud to me.

S7301250.jpg

I have always gotten the fish and chicken combination, but after seeing my family get the shrimp during our 2009 trip, I knew I wanted to try it. The shrimp were big and fried to a nice golden brown while the fries were hot and tasted fresh. I'm picky about coleslaw (surprise surprise), but I did try it and it tasted. . . fine? I'm not really the person to trust when it comes to an opinion on coleslaw. :confused3

I did enjoy the shrimp, but their fish is delicious. Now if only they had a fish and shrimp combo. . .

For dessert, I had the apple crisp. I am so glad they started warming this. Honestly, I think it improved the taste 100% from when it used to be served cold. It's not extremely sweet and has a nice, mild cinnamon flavor. The pastry doesn't flake all over the place when you cut into it, which is nice because who likes wearing crumbs? :laughing:

My mom had the shrimp, too, which is what's on the other side of the tray. She doesn't usually give you more of a description than "mmm", "good", "I've had better", or "delicious" but I know she did like it. She also got the chocolate cake, but being as she is a chocoholic she ate every single bite with a smile on her face. So, that's a good sign, right? ;)

I don't have much more to say about the restaurant than I love this place and YES, I will be returning here again and again. :love:

Total Price= $33.05- 1 CS used per person

Later that evening, we decided to use a snack credit. My aunt and uncle had insisted before we left that we get a turkey leg. We knew we'd have to pay out of pocket for it, but we decided to split one. So we went to The Lunching Pad in Tomorrowland.

Once we got there, I saw they have sweet cream cheese pretzels. Oh, boy, do I have an addiction to these! I've never had one from Walt Disney World, but have eaten them frequently at hockey games back home. I was even more excited to learn I could use it as a snack credit. So we got one of those to split as well.

S7301267.jpg

I'd never had a turkey leg before, but I knew instantly it wouldn't be my last. Smoking it seemed to completely change the texture and taste so that it didn't really taste like turkey to me, but I have no idea what it did taste like. Falling into my mom's habit, I'll just say it was "delicious." Really, though, it was huge with tons of meat piled on that leg. It wasn't greasy either, which made it even better to me. I'm glad that we split it because I'm certain I couldn't eat a whole one by myself.

S7301265.jpg

I had high hopes for this little treat, and it didn't disappoint me for one second. Warm and soft with a sweet cream cheese filling, this was so delightful that I almost didn't want to share. I wish I had gotten another one before we left for home, but I didn't. I'd say this was well worth the snack credit!

My mom also bought a soft drink, though she chose to pay out of pocket for it and save the snack credits for more expensive treats.

Prices:
Turkey Leg- $7.79
Soft drink- $2.19
Total Cost for Out of Pocket= $10.63 (including tax)

Cream Cheese Pretzel- $4.29 + tax= $4.57- 1 Snack used

I love those turkey legs! And the gnocchi at Tutto is calling my name! Thanks so much for sharing your reviews (and pictures), I can't wait for more :thumbsup2

Day Three: Lunch- Flame Tree Barbecue

Another one of my favorite counter services is the highly praised Flame Tree Barbecue. We've never been fans of Animal Kingdom in the past, due in large part to the fact that we always came in the middle of the afternoon in the summer when it was stifling and miserable outside. Unintentionally, we made it for the 8 AM extra magic hour, and I was astounded to find it so peaceful that early. We did the Safari as a first time for both of us, which was extremely enjoyable. We also went to the Festival of the Lion King for the first time, which was an amazing show. Anyway, back to the food. We were ready for lunch right when it opened, but unsurprisingly it was already packed.

S7301371.jpg

We both had the exact same thing- the half slab of ribs with baked beans and coleslaw. The ribs were wonderful with an abundance of meat. Up until I read it on here, the great encyclopedia that is the disboards, I didn't actually notice there was barbecue sauce available. Silly me. But with that being said, I always thought that the rubbed spices were an extra complement so I didn't feel like I was missing anything without the sauce. I did try them this time and while they were both thick and savory, I enjoyed the mild one more than the spicy just because I'm not a fan of spicy foods.

The baked beans were extremely thick and sweet. Honestly, I enjoy these more than anything at home but don't tell my grandmother that. ;)

Once again, I'm definitely not the person to ask about coleslaw. I tasted it and it was fine, but that's really no help to anyone else. :confused3

On to the dessert. I was disappointed they no longer serve the key lime pie. I know it's mousse now, but I couldn't really justify it so I went with the chocolate mousse. To me, this was better than the packaged chocolate cake with the mickey sprinkles on top. I liked how the heavy chocolate fudge balanced out the light and airy mousse when combined, giving it just enough sweetness without being overbearing. The garnish on top was a nice touch, much better than the colorful confetti in my opinion.

Just like Columbia Harbour House, this is another counter service I know we'll visit time after time. :love:

Total Price: $37.06- 1 CS used per person

Day Two: Lunch- Tutto Italia

S7301214.jpg

My entree was the Gnocchi Verdi Grataniti, delicious baked spinach potato dumplings in a bed of mozzarella, parmesan, fontina and gorgonzola. Man, oh, man this was incredible. It was extremely creamy with almost a smokey flavor, but not overbearing. I also couldn't taste the spinach at all. To me, though, this wonderful entree alone is worth going back to the restaurant for lunch.

This is by far the best dish at Tutto!!! :thumbsup2 Not something you see getting many reviews so I'm glad someone else loved it as much as I did.

This is by far the best dish at Tutto!!! :thumbsup2 Not something you see getting many reviews so I'm glad someone else loved it as much as I did.

I must be in the minority, but I was dissapointed with the gnocchi last year at this location. My appy and dessert were fantastic though.

Great review so far!!!!!!!!! I am always looking for new places to try!:thumbsup2 The pics. help me decide!:goodvibes

We did originally have a dinner reservation there, which doesn't offer that dish. Or, at least I didn't see it on the menu. I don't think it'll be surprising if I say I'm glad we switched since it seems to be my favorite subject on my review thus far. :lmao:

I must be in the minority, but I was dissapointed with the gnocchi last year at this location. My appy and dessert were fantastic though.

Sorry to hear you were disappointed with your dish :guilty: But I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your appetizer and dessert!

Day Three: Dinner- Rose and Crown

Before I begin, I must warn that I'm very biased toward this restaurant. It has been a family favorite for years, and it has become a tradition that we eat there on every trip. Plus, it's a great spot for watching the fireworks during a dinner reservation. Every cast member I've ever encountered here has been extremely friendly. In fact, I'd say most of them have been outstanding. I love the decor and have enjoyed every meal I've ever had. I understand that not everyone has the same experience, and I've read several bad reviews, but thus far (knock on wood) I've had a very pleasant dining experience here. I did encounter my first disappointment on this trip, but I'll get to that later. ;)

S7301446.jpg

S7301447.jpg

The bread, crispy on top and soft on the inside. To me, it almost has that tangy sourdough flavor. It was served cool, which I can't recall if it was in the past or not. As many times as I've eaten here, my memory is absolutely terrible.

S7301449.jpg

We both ordered the Surf and Turf, fried fish and steak served with Irish potato gratin, broccoli rabe, and Yorkshire pudding topped with a shallot gravy. I had gotten this entree in the past, but it was paired with different sides. The steak, asked to be cooked well, was perfect and tender. It was thoroughly cooked on the inside without being burned to a crisp on the outside. The batter for the fried fish was very thick, but I didn't think it greasy at all. Picky me doesn't like broccoli rabe so I didn't touch it, but that's not a fault of the restaurant. The potatoes were diced, not scalloped like I'm accustomed to in potato gratin, which may have been a reason why I enjoyed it more than usual. It was creamy and the crumbs on top gave it a nice crunch. Finally, the Yorkshire pudding didn't have much of a flavor itself, but did absorb most of the shallot gravy, which had a very light and mild consistency.

S7301451.jpg

For dessert, my mom had the (surprise!) Chocolate Scotch Cake. I don't think I tried this as I was already full and wanted to at least attempt my own dessert, but it did fall into the category of. . . "delicious!" :laughing:

S7301452.jpg

It was the very end of the meal when I encountered disappointment. My favorite dessert of perhaps the entire property has always been the Bailey's Chocolate Trifle, but when I was about to order the warm coffee and chocolate goodness, I noticed it was gone. :scared1: I did ask if it had been discontinued permanently with the response of "for now", but she did say would pass the word along to the chef. Anyway, though I missed my favorite sweet treat, I wasn't too upset by trying the Sticky Toffee Pudding.

This delectable little dessert was warm with a very mild buttery rum-like sauce. It wasn't very rich or overly sweet, and the cake soaked up most of the sauce. I would definitely get this again unless, of course, they bring back the trifle. :thumbsup2

Afterward, we were invited to sit outside to view the fireworks. We had excellent seats right on the water, but it was so extremely cold that I didn't even bother snapping pictures. My hands were snuggled inside the warmth of my pockets! :laughing: Of course, though, I'll definitely be coming back to The Rose and Crown!

Total Price: $70.65- 1 TS used per person

It's been quite a while since I last updated my review, but thanks to the kindness of my other half I have been reminded of my negligence. I must admit I was somewhat preoccupied with the final details of our upcoming trip in September. :rolleyes1 But now that the airfare is booked and those pesky ADRs completed, it's back to finishing what I started!

The fourth day was devoted entirely to Hollywood Studios, which left us with a dilemma I know many of us have faced: where on Earth do you spend a decent counter service here? I knew that we wanted to take a few bakery items back to the resort from Starring Rolls so I suggested it, but after hearing that Fairfax Fare had ribs and chicken my mom was pretty insistent on going there. I'd never had it before so I didn't really have any objections.

S7301487.jpg

I had the ribs and brisket served with coleslaw and baked beans. Both of the meats were very dry, but luckily I found packages of barbecue sauce with the other condiments. Though they were pretty much flavorless the ribs were very tender. The brisket was. . . well, all I can say is that it was just meat, which was disappointing but I didn't have extremely high expectations anyway. The beans and coleslaw tasted similar to those served at Flame Tree Barbecue.

S7301488.jpg

My mom went with the ribs and chicken. To look at the picture of the chicken it looks less than appetizing to me. :eek: I asked her if it was dry or rubbery, but she said no. She ate it without complaint and said it was good. :confused3

S7301489.jpg

For dessert we both had the chocolate cake. I was actually pleasantly surprised to find that the cake was moist, which may have had something to do with the deep layer of thick fudge. Still, it was much better than the meal.

So, I'm still in search of a decent counter service at Hollywood Studios. We'll be facing the problem again in September, but we're pretty determined to get to Starring Rolls on time (we did go over there for those mouthwatering baked goods, but it was closed :sad2:) and have a sandwich. If anyone out there has had something tasty from one of the counter services as this park that I've missed somewhere, please please enlighten me!

Total Price: $42.11- 1 CS used per person

Great reviews so far ! :goodvibes

Thanks for taking the time to post them.

Oh man, those noodles and broccoli from Ohana look SO good. I wish I had a platter of them right now.

Great reviews so far. I agree that Hollywood Studios doesn't have much in the way of counter service and although DF didn't want to try it last time we are definitely eating at starring rolls in September! We ate at the ABC Commissary last time and it was disgusting. Can't wait to see what else you have in store!

~Beka~

Hoorah, another person who is in the gnocchi fan club! :laughing: Welcome aboard :)

I want in too!!! LOVE the gnocchi! Just LOVE IT! :cloud9: (I know this response is a little old, but somehow I missed this thread before...)
____

BTW, I've been waiting to hear about Fairfax Fare, so I'm glad you reviewed it... I was curious about the ribs and brisket... I don't recall brisket at other CS's. Too bad it's kinda dry. I wonder if it depends on when you get it, what part of the meat you get, or how long it may have been sitting... I might try it some time anyway, but at least now I know not to get my hopes up too much.

welcome back!

Thank you!

Great reviews so far ! :goodvibes

Thanks for taking the time to post them.

Oh man, those noodles and broccoli from Ohana look SO good. I wish I had a platter of them right now.

I'd love to have a giant platter of the noodles too, but hold the green stuff please! Oh, and if we could immediately follow the heaping plate of noodles with a mountain of the bread pudding that would be doubly great!

Great reviews so far. I agree that Hollywood Studios doesn't have much in the way of counter service and although DF didn't want to try it last time we are definitely eating at starring rolls in September! We ate at the ABC Commissary last time and it was disgusting. Can't wait to see what else you have in store!

~Beka~

Hey, maybe we'll run into each other in September dragging our significant others into Starring Rolls by the ears or whatever means necessary. :laughing:

I want in too!!! LOVE the gnocchi! Just LOVE IT! :cloud9: (I know this response is a little old, but somehow I missed this thread before...)
____

BTW, I've been waiting to hear about Fairfax Fare, so I'm glad you reviewed it... I was curious about the ribs and brisket... I don't recall brisket at other CS's. Too bad it's kinda dry. I wonder if it depends on when you get it, what part of the meat you get, or how long it may have been sitting... I might try it some time anyway, but at least now I know not to get my hopes up too much.

You are definitely in! All gnocchi all the time. . . if only, right? :cloud9:

The reason I ordered the brisket is because I didn't think you could find it anywhere else on property. It would be awesome if Flame Tree served it with their amazingly delicious ribs, but sadly they don't. You do have a point about the time it's ordered which is why I'm going to point out that we were there right when it opened for lunch. So, it shouldn't have been sitting out for a significant amount of time. It could vary by day and I imagine the less popular items are probably not as fresh as those in a higher demand. Oh well, I gave it a chance anyway!

S7301488.jpg

My mom went with the ribs and chicken. To look at the picture of the chicken it looks less than appetizing to me. :eek: I asked her if it was dry or rubbery, but she said no. She ate it without complaint and said it was good. :confused3

I'm glad you told us it was chicken because I stared at the picture for the longest time trying to figure out what it was! That looks like no chicken I've ever seen before!! I don't understand how they manage to have decent CC in all the other disney parks but HS can't seem to get their act together. Makes no sense to me.

Sounds like you had a great time, though! Thanks for the reviews!

Great review so far. Since we have no plans for a visit this year I'm in dire need of these reviews to make me feel like I'm there again.

I'm glad you told us it was chicken because I stared at the picture for the longest time trying to figure out what it was! That looks like no chicken I've ever seen before!! I don't understand how they manage to have decent CC in all the other disney parks but HS can't seem to get their act together. Makes no sense to me.

Sounds like you had a great time, though! Thanks for the reviews!

:rotfl: It looks like a rubber dog chew toy to me, but I was trying to be polite in the beginning!

We did have a wonderful time, thanks!

Great review so far. Since we have no plans for a visit this year I'm in dire need of these reviews to make me feel like I'm there again.

I know what you mean. Sometimes these boards just keep me going when I feel like I'm going to have too many Disney withdrawals. :laughing:

Wonderful reviews! Keep up the good work! :thumbsup2

That gnocchi dish looks fab. I would love to try Tutto, but my family is against it. We live in the heart of the Soprano country so the Italian is excellent here, and it's what we usually eat, so they won't do it in Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter