Tie dying questions - best dye? best thread?

virginiamama

DIS Veteran
I'm attempting Mickey tie dye shirts for our upcoming trip again. I had really good results with the shapes on the previous two times I've done these. The first time the dyes were much more vibrant than the last time. The last time the dyes seemed to separate, instead of getting lime green, I ended up with yellow surrounding blue. Then with purple, I got light pink surrounding light blue. What dyes have you had success with? I'm looking for bright colors that won't separate. I was thinking that technique-wise, I could soak the shirts as directed and then let them dry out more, rather than following the dye directions and just squeezing them out and then dying. I have used 100% cotton tees, and also some 95% cotton 5% spandex. I also had trouble sewing the thread to make the Mickey shape. I think the first time I used very fine dental floss. I also tried a filament thread but that kept breaking when I'd try to pull it tightly. I have not been able to find basic "waxed thread". My sources for supplies are Michaels, Ben Franklin Crafts, and JoAnn's. TIA!

We do tie-dye projects a lot for gifts and our family's coordinating WDW trip shirts (but haven't yet tried the Mickey head ones - that's for next time) - so I can't comment upon the thread needed to be successful there. I know our LSS carries a waxed thread (sold by the yard) because DD bought some there recently.

But - you'll need to buy good dyes online. The individual/kit ones available at ACM/Mike's/Jo's ones are totally crappy. Trust me - once you've used the Procion brand dyes, you'll NEVER go back to the pale, washed out colors of the other brands.

We buy our supplies from www.dharmatrading.com. They have *everything* you need and can buy in tiny quantities to start, if you're only doing a small project. We do the soaking in soda ash/urea steps, use the Procion dyes, and then a Synthrapol rinse to get all the excess dye out.

We've done shirts, towels, socks, and other stuff as gifts and they have all turned out great. The tie-dye projects are such fun, but they do take some time to do well - you might as well get the products worthy of your efforts! Feel free to let me know if you need any other assistance. There are also a couple of good DVDs (we got them from the library) on tie-dying techniques and they were very helpful and inspiring.

Good luck - and have fun!

Hi Ellen :wave:

I've just made a few Mickey tie dye shirts, I actually used a plastic thread that is for making jewelry.

Search Google for "Salix Beading Thread" this is super strong, and you can pull it REALLY tight and wrap it around, along with the elastic bands it stops the dye leaking very well. All of my heads have turned out well defined.

Hope this helps, and it's not to late I'm sure you'll be able to find something similar.

Roy

Hi Ellen :wave:

I've just made a few Mickey tie dye shirts, I actually used a plastic thread that is for making jewelry.

Search Google for "Salix Beading Thread" this is super strong, and you can pull it REALLY tight and wrap it around, along with the elastic bands it stops the dye leaking very well. All of my heads have turned out well defined.

Hope this helps, and it's not to late I'm sure you'll be able to find something similar.

Roy

Thanks Roy!
I have already sewn a a few with unwaxed dental floss and that worked fairly well (no cussing). But I have to run to Michael's today anyway so I will check out the beading thread. What brand of dye did you use, and where did you get it? We won't be dying until next weekend.

Ellen, I use DYLON dyes they are readily available here, plus I have tons of the stuff from other projects! :scared1:
I've looked on their website and they do export to the U.S. but they are basically just super strength fabric dyes.

To use them I completely ignore the instructions, put equal quantities of powder to regular table salt add water, and hey presto :thumbsup2

Roy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts