Ticket Price Increases for Disneyland Announced

Whew! Thank God I stalk these boards and get the Mousesavers emails, especially since we need 6 day hoppers. Bought mine today! Now my husband can't change his mind about our trip :). Or I guess he can, and I'll leave the toddler home with him and bring a friend!

Is there any info on 7 day passes for Canadians? We are going in February and I was going to upgrade 7 day PH's to AP's. I am hoping to go again in October for my 50th Bday :upsidedow
If my plan works out and I do get to go twice....16 days in the parks with an AP works out to about $30 a day.I think that is a real bargain.Even at 11 days it is $43 a day.
Considering that the local fair charges $15 a person to ride the ferris wheel and tilt a whirl...:clown:

Our APs expire in September. We were planning one more trip in August, then we were going to let them expire and renew in October. Now I doubt we will even go in October. New deluxe AP price times seven is just crazy.

Looks like we will stick to annual trips after this year. :sad:

Normally if you've paid your deposit on a package, the price is locked in. Actually the package prices are usually locked in through the end of the year regardless: the ticket prices within packages shouldn't go up until 2013, even on new package bookings after 5/20.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

I want to make sure I have this right re: booking packages and ticket increases. Since I read on here that package prices are normally locked in for the year, I called Disney and they said that they WOULD be affected! They told me if I booked the package today (and my dates weren't within 30 days), as long as I paid my $200 deposit my price would be locked in. But if I booked tomorrow, the package prices will be higher due to the increase.

Normally I know it is cheaper to book separately, but I had been debating a Fairfield package as it's the one hotel where I actually find package prices better than booking separately, and if you go through Costco you get the free character dining and $20 gift card + extras.

Now I'm totally confused. And a little depressed - it's getting so expensive!

Jeepers, creepers! Going as often as I do the prices for the AP's are still a bargain, but putting down that much all at once or even the newer monthly amount I just could never pull off right now. Glad I don't have to worry about it for quite a while. But I'm pretty sure this will make it harder for my family to come down to visit me later this year.

Since I read on here that package prices are normally locked in for the year, I called Disney and they said that they WOULD be affected! They told me if I booked the package today (and my dates weren't within 30 days), as long as I paid my $200 deposit my price would be locked in. But if I booked tomorrow, the package prices will be higher due to the increase.

That has never been the case in the past. Of course with Disney, everything is always "subject to change at any time."

Package prices are published annually and Disney has contracts with various vendors (Costco, AAA, Southwest Vacations, Alaska Airlines Vacations, etc.) at specific prices for the calendar year. Brochures are out there, printed with 2012 package prices. They really can't very well tell Costco "oh sorry, those contractually agreed-upon 2012 prices are going up now."

So I can't 100% guarantee it, but it has always been the case in the past that the package prices did NOT go up until the next calendar year, even if ticket prices went up.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

I'm not sure I'll be able to renew the Premium AP. I may have to downgrade to the Deluxe (and take the lower food discounts) or go with a Hopper.

I really think your example illustrates the whole point of these increases. Disney is raising prices partially to keep down the demand. DLR is already pushing the limit on crowds, and Cars Land is going to really test the capacity.

So if you go less often but pay more for each visit, that accomplishes Disney's goals... it keeps the crowds manageable and increases profits. Frustrating, but the parks only have so much capacity and it seems like the demand is practically limitless!

Mary
MouseSavers.com

I, too, was stunned by the price hikes.

Don't get me wrong - I knew all along that we'd be seeing another price increase before Cars Land opens. In fact, as soon as the prices went up last year in June - instead of in August, which was the expected time - I knew that it meant that the prices would go up around the same time this year, just in time for the masses to descend upon DCA for the unveiling of all the new stuff. (Although I expected the increase to happen in June and not in May.)

I even figured that Disney would increase the increase, as it were... I assumed they would go from, say, a $40 or $50 price hike on the Premium and Deluxe AP's to, perhaps, something like a $60/$70 increase. Maybe even $75 for the Premium. It would still hurt the ol' wallet, of course, but because of all the new things that are poised to debut at DLR in just a few weeks, I thought it was likely.

I just about fell on the floor in shock when I saw that the Premiums are going up by $150, and the Deluxe by $90. Actually, I don't even know what to say about it that hasn't already been said in this thread! Frankly, some of what I said and thought (to myself) can't even be repeated on the DIS!:rotfl:

I know Disney is a massive entity in the business world, and they know how to make strategic decisions and raise prices on everything while still reeling in the adoring fans who eat it all up (that would be us). So I am sure there must be a method to their madness in raising the prices soooo much all at one time, rather that kind of doing it in stages over time.

This kind of huge increase in the AP prices only makes sense to me - in my non-business-oriented mind - if Disney were not going to increase its prices at all for another 2 or 3 years. IF they skip an increase next year and don't raise the prices again until 2014 or 2015, then tomorrow's price hikes would seem reasonable to me. But...how many of us really think that Disney is not going to raise its prices again for another 2 or 3 years? It's highly likely that there will be some sort of increase every single year, as there has been every year for a long time.

My AP doesn't expire until November, so it will carry me through a couple of Halloween Time visits, thankfully. But, my annual DLR trip in December - which is what I look forward to every year, and which is my true priority over all other Disney trips - will be affected. I'm not sure I'll be able to renew the Premium AP. I may have to downgrade to the Deluxe (and take the lower food discounts) or go with a Hopper. I'm not in a position to get a voucher for a new AP now, unfortunately. I will have to just play it by ear and sort it all out in another few months.

I believe that Disney may very well want to thin the ranks of AP holders and tip the balance in favor of more tourist types. No better way to do that then raise the prices dramatically. I think they will wait and see what impact the price hike has. If it does thin the herd, then they will have accomplished their goal and we may see moderate hikes. If the price hike doesn't change the mix of visitors to DL, then we may see more aggressive price hikes in the future.

I think we are seeing Disney "get real" about the impact APs have on the parks as seen during OMDD and other events. Also just the typical issues surrounding APers during the course of a week and how they impact park operations. Lots of people thought the AP was a great deal, maybe too good of a deal. Now we will see if a price hike changes that view.

I am in total shock as to the price increase! OMG. Our AP exp in Dec. and I haven't renewed yet. Last year I got the Premium. This year NO WAY! $1298 for just DD12 and me? Today it's $998 which means $300 more. That's insane!

Side note-I did get DD and I AP to Knott's in Feb. for $69/each. What a great value that is now (and yes I know KBF doesn't compare to DLR but it is a fun park in it's own way-especially if you go off-season when it's empty)

So now I'm looking at getting the Deluxe (today) for $857 (with parking on one) vs. paying $1067 starting tomorrow. Inc. of $210, or 24%. 24%!!!! So starting tomorrow, the Deluxe AP with parking on one will cost more than a Premium AP does today. :sad::confused3

I just called my DSis (pass exp. 6/23) to let her know to get her AP today.

Thanks once again to the boards to let us know how to save a little Disney money. Glad I came on today. I've been working M-F and haven't been online as much.

While I understand why Disney is doing this and it may reduce the crowds at DLR as less and less people get AP, it still stings!

I have been on hold with AP guest services for 15 minutes. Has anyone been able to find out the time difference needed between annual passes so that the new AP isn't a renewal with the old expiration date? :confused3

That has never been the case in the past. Of course with Disney, everything is always "subject to change at any time."

Package prices are published annually and Disney has contracts with various vendors (Costco, AAA, Southwest Vacations, Alaska Airlines Vacations, etc.) at specific prices for the calendar year. Brochures are out there, printed with 2012 package prices. They really can't very well tell Costco "oh sorry, those contractually agreed-upon 2012 prices are going up now."

So I can't 100% guarantee it, but it has always been the case in the past that the package prices did NOT go up until the next calendar year, even if ticket prices went up.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Thanks for responding, Mary. I think I'm going to forget about the package and just bite the bullet and buy my tickets today, as I'm so-so on the Fairfield. Maybe I'll get one with my air miles to take the sting off a little bit; I really hadn't planned on shelling out for the tickets this soon. I'm going to check package prices tomorrow, just to satisfy my own curiosity.

But, my annual DLR trip in December - which is what I look forward to every year, and which is my true priority over all other Disney trips - will be affected.

I hear you, Sherry. We are going on year 3 of what I had hoped would be an annual Christmas Disney trip, but these prices are just getting out of hand. :sad:

Sadly I think when our AP's expire in October we also will have to revert back to yearly trips. I can't justify a $90 increase for 2 deluxe AP's. I truly believe that Disney is outpricing us 'little people'. It's so expensive now just to take a family even for one day, and that makes me sad. It used to be a relatively inexpensive vacation for people but now it's just getting out of reach. I understand that it's a business, but seriously?? Raising prices every year $50, $60 or $90 for passes?? Way too much for ny blood. :sad:

I bought the Deluxe APs and was told by 3 different CM that the AP will start from the first day of use...I hope that clarifies for someone else. I was confused earlier.

I believe that Disney may very well want to thin the ranks of AP holders and tip the balance in favor of more tourist types. No better way to do that then raise the prices dramatically. I think they will wait and see what impact the price hike has. If it does thin the herd, then they will have accomplished their goal and we may see moderate hikes. If the price hike doesn't change the mix of visitors to DL, then we may see more aggressive price hikes in the future.

I think we are seeing Disney "get real" about the impact APs have on the parks as seen during OMDD and other events. Also just the typical issues surrounding APers during the course of a week and how they impact park operations. Lots of people thought the AP was a great deal, maybe too good of a deal. Now we will see if a price hike changes that view.

I agree with all of your points (and I agree with Mary above). I think you hit the nail on the head.

It's funny you used the term "thin the herd," because that was exactly one of the ideas that ran through my mind last night, after hearing about the huge increases!:rotfl2: I thought that same thing, "They're thinning the herd!" (Albeit, I think they're doing it in a slightly passive-aggressive way, i.e., 'Here, everyone, come see all of the wonderful new things at the Disneyland Resort, but...only if you can afford to get in after we jack up the prices to stratospheric heights!':rotfl2:)

Yep - it is going to be very, very interesting, indeed, to observe how much of an impact these price hikes will have on AP purchases (of any level) and on crowds, and in what amount of time. For example, will there be significant drop-offs in AP purchases and AP holders by the end of Summer? Or by Christmas? Or by the end of the year? Will the crowds during October suddenly get lighter (they have been pretty substantial since 2008) and go back to making Fall an off-peak season? Will the holiday crowds still be huge?

I'm not thrilled about the prices but I am very curious to see how this will all play out and if Disney will succeed in thinning the herd!

Oh, and another thing - for these kinds of prices, DLR had better go back to sticking a giant candy corn or two in DCA during Halloween Time!:rotfl: DCA needs to be included in the Halloween festivities once again. DLR had also better not remove another single thing from the New Orleans Square holiday decorations, as they seem to do every year. And for the love of everything holy, I hope they give us back our old ToonTown Christmas trees and get rid of the hideous plastic monstrosities that were there last year.

If you ar staying onsite, you can still get MM on the hotel days. Also prior to September, you can get a MM at each park with an AP.

We're staying at the Park Vue and not going until October. So no MM's for us. At least not for the October trip. Or the January trip when we stay at HoJo. But we do hope to stay at DH some time in 2013. :scratchin

I finally reached someone over the phone and we bought the premium AP vouchers. It was really stressful because we weren't even sure we were going to renew, but definitely didn't want to pay the $649. Not to mention that we didn't renew at the Fantastmic event with a $20 discount!

To answer my own question, if you don't want the AP to be renewed and want a new AP, you need to wait until after 30 days to activate the new pass.

The CM entered a date for will-call pick-up and said we need to tell them we are not activating the passes that day if we don't want the time frames to start.

Thanks so much to everyone that posted questions and answers!! :)

Here's what it says when you make your AP purchase (which I just did)

A new Annual Passport expires 1-year from the first date of entry into a Disneyland Resort Theme Park. A Renewed Annual Passport expires on the anniversary date of the original Passport

If you order it online as a new AP it won't be a renewal, as far as I can see. My DSis just bought her new AP and her existing expires on 6/23. So the next time she goes after 6/23 she will use her printed e-ticket for admission.

I did ask when I got my AP in Dec. 2010 and they told me that if it's within 30 days it will be a renewal but I think you can still buy a "new" one.

Shucks!! I was just telling DH that DD and I should get AP's since we are going to go at least 2x this year and once without him. No way will we be able to get them now. So sad :( That is a huge and I mean huge price increase. That's really crazy.

Oh, and thank you Mary from Mousesavers for all your awesome help and info. Made a crazy situation manageable and helped me figure out what to do!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter