Ticket Price Increases for Disneyland Announced

Saw this hit the DIS Facebook feed earlier today and jumped. Needed three 5 day hopper adult passes and one child pass for our trip in August. I had been holding off on the purchase, but this warning pushed me to act.

So, thanks to the DIS, it looks like I avoided about a $170 surprise addition to my vacation budget for the summer. Although it may prove somewhat less if the Disneyland website keeps up the $20 discount for online ticket purchases, but there's no guarantee that will still be in place tomorrow.

I'm actually rather surprised that the effective date for this change was such that we actually had time to act on it. Was this a leak that made it's way out early, or doe Disney usually work their price increase notices this way?

Saw this hit the DIS Facebook feed earlier today and jumped. Needed three 5 day hopper adult passes and one child pass for our trip in August. I had been holding off on the purchase, but this warning pushed me to act.

So, thanks to the DIS, it looks like I avoided about a $170 surprise addition to my vacation budget for the summer. Although it may prove somewhat less if the Disneyland website keeps up the $20 discount for online ticket purchases, but there's no guarantee that will still be in place tomorrow.

I'm actually rather surprised that the effective date for this change was such that we actually had time to act on it. Was this a leak that made it's way out early, or doe Disney usually work their price increase notices this way?

There is normally a day and a half notice, so this is typical. Glad you saved money! :)

I bought my 2 day park hopper in February through Travelocity. I just checked and they are showing up at the old prices.

Big jump all around on tickets this year, wow!

The prices go up May 20th, but how long are tickets at the old prices vaild until? We're going in 2013...can I buy tickets today at the current lower price, and still use them in 2013?

No. Some people are erroneously posting that the vouchers expire one year from purchase. Vouchers expire December 31 2012. The value of the voucher doesn't expire, but if you redeem it after December 31, you need to pay the price difference.

I am all set but a friend was wondering if she purchased the deluxe ap online today and did the monthly payment plan, is the first day of her pass till the first time she goes to the park and activates it at the gate?

The voucher does not give you the monthly payment option.

Reading these boards cost me $900 this weekend.

Just bought our 5 day hoppers for our November trip.

Was hoping to buy 2 this month and 2 next month with a couple of bonus checks, but the price increase moved up the purchase.

Now we have the Grand Cal booked for the back half of the week and the hoppers bought. Just need to figure out where we want to be the first half of the week and SW to release there November travel schedule.

Sweet! What days are you going?

I have had the similar experience today..:) We are booked for Thanksgiving week with 2 days at GC and then 3 at DLH... then driving down to San Diego for Thanksgiving night. Never stayed at DLH so can't wait to see it after all the remodel. We decided to do the CityPass and spend one day at SeaWorld and one at Universal this trip. I went ahead and bought my CityPasses because I figure this price increase will cause them to increase their passes soon as well, so I feel your pain! There went $1100 that I wasn't planning on spending yet :cool2:

With all the talk of the increases and the "is it worth it" back and forth I just wanted to add my personal opinion. Even with the price hike , to DH and I , yes it would be worth it. We love Disney - and all things Disney and since we do live in California it makes it feasible to enjoy the parks on a regular basis. I realize that not everyone has such a luxury and even so we live 6 hours away so it's not just a day trip for us either. What it comes down to for us , personally is what we get out of those Annual Passes. Some people like to do other types of activities - we love Disney and we are in no way rich and we have everyday struggles too like most others , but for us it's one of those things we treat ourselves to because we only live once and we want to enjoy it as much as possible. The monthly payment options definitely helps us out obviously but even when we didn't have AP's we made yearly trips to DL and never thought twice about the prices.

The reality is as much as it may not be pleasant , is that it is still a business and with that comes costs to be covered. That could be one of many reasons for an increase and yes while unfortunate it is necessary. Was the increase too much ? Maybe. Maybe not. It comes down to each person individually to determine if it's worth it to them. I know it probably sounds "easy" for me to say such as we do not have a family to incur extra costs and every situation differs obviously. I just hope people can still enjoy themselves regardless if they go once a year or multiple times.

Sure, Disney can implement significant price increases every year and probably still get huge numbers of folks to come. Should they? I guess it depends on who you think their primary responsibility is to. I think Walt started the parks to both make money, and to share a dream he had, and I'm not sure he would have wanted to see it become a dream out of reach for many families-a dream come true only for Disney stockholders.

Disney's profits were up 21% last quarter DESPITE the huge bath they took on John Carter. This isn't a company struggling to get by in a recession; it's not a company feeling the pain that most American families are feeling. It's a company that seems to be taking every opportunity over the last few years to squeeze any possible nickel out of its fans-and Disney gets away with it because its product is so unique and its fans (myself included) are so crazy about it that, while we might ***** and moan, we keep paying.

Just my two cents, of course, but man, I've been listening to old podcasts from 2006 on, and it seems like this is a common theme every year. Disney continually raises their prices more than inflation and cuts back on amenities (like the holiday decorations).

Sweet! What days are you going?

I have had the similar experience today..:) We are booked for Thanksgiving week with 2 days at GC and then 3 at DLH... then driving down to San Diego for Thanksgiving night. Never stayed at DLH so can't wait to see it after all the remodel. We decided to do the CityPass and spend one day at SeaWorld and one at Universal this trip. I went ahead and bought my CityPasses because I figure this price increase will cause them to increase their passes soon as well, so I feel your pain! There went $1100 that I wasn't planning on spending yet :cool2:

We are going November 3-10.

We are booked at Villas at Grand Californian starting on the 7th. I figure we will be at DLR 4 days. I bought the 5 day hopper, just in case we decided to add a day at the end or just are antsy to go.

I am just trying to decide what we want to do the 3rd to the 6th? that seems to be the toughest call.

For folks with Costco and WDT packages: I asked on line and chatted with Amy who said a deposit on a package would keep the pkg price at time of booking with no increase as the prices go up tomorrow.
When I looked at the conditions on the pkg it states package prices subject to change until paid in full. I called and confirmed with Erica who talked to a supervisor the unpaid pkg prices would go up when the prices increase tomorrow.
I paid off my 2 packages to be sure. 7 six day tickets for July so I'm not going to chance it.

THANK YOU DISBOARDS and Mary form MOUSESAVERS!!!!!

Don't know if this is the same in the states, but in Canada when you book with a travel agent, you only have to pay the 10% deposit and the rest needs to be paid 45 days in advance. I am a travel agent, but also planning to go in September w/4 day park hoppers, so I put my 10% down today (with a tour operator, not direct with disney) and my price is now locked in and I don't have to pay the full until August. This does have to be done today though, before the price increase.
Just a suggestion for my Canadian friends:)

I am all set but a friend was wondering if she purchased the deluxe ap online today and did the monthly payment plan, is the first day of her pass till the first time she goes to the park and activates it at the gate?

The voucher does not give you the monthly payment option.

Yes. It starts the first day it's used. I bought my Deluxe AP earlier today, using the monthly plan, and it's no different.

I am still waiting for my e-tix to show up in my email acct. It's been about 3 hours so far.

We are going November 3-10.

We are booked at Villas at Grand Californian starting on the 7th. I figure we will be at DLR 4 days. I bought the 5 day hopper, just in case we decided to add a day at the end or just are antsy to go.

I am just trying to decide what we want to do the 3rd to the 6th? that seems to be the toughest call.

If you are looking to book on DVC points, then the choice is obviously narrow. We have stayed at Paradise Pier and it is the lowest points of the Hotels, and honestly it is not that bad. You have to cross a major street to get to the parks but it is fairly close. You still get to use the private back entrance to DCA through the GC resort which is right across the street. The DLH is definitely more points, but much more themed and immersive like what you experience at WDW.
Hope you have a blast wherever you decide to stay :)

Just wanted to say how much I appreciate having you guys for the heads up and answering questions.

Thank you for posting this. We ordered our lone AP for the discount & our three hoppers for our September trip. Still waiting on the email.

Yes. It starts the first day it's used. I bought my Deluxe AP earlier today, using the monthly plan, and it's no different.

I am still waiting for my e-tix to show up in my email acct. It's been about 3 hours so far.

Thanks for the info.

I am going on a three hour wait also! Have a feeling their website is very back logged!

I really think your example illustrates the whole point of these increases. Disney is raising prices partially to keep down the demand. DLR is already pushing the limit on crowds, and Cars Land is going to really test the capacity.

So if you go less often but pay more for each visit, that accomplishes Disney's goals... it keeps the crowds manageable and increases profits. Frustrating, but the parks only have so much capacity and it seems like the demand is practically limitless!

Mary
MouseSavers.com

I agree..and really, it doesn't bother me..Disney is a business and was when Walt was alive and I STILL say for what you get ..the hours the parks are open..all the attractions, the shows, parades, beautiful surroundings, etc., it is really not a bad price to pay. That park hopper or AP is now getting us a basically new theme park with new longer hours, brand new entire LAND and shiny new entertainment as well. So I just paid $246 for DH to go for 5 days so that is under $50 a day..where else can you get all that for under $50 for what could be 12+ hours of fun? This doesn't bother me at all.

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for starting this thread. Unfortunately, pass expired in September so I was not able to renew but I used Mary from Mousesaver's tip(Thank you, Mary!!) and bought 2 Gift Vouchers for APs for DH and I. We will be redeeming them before the end of this year. I'm still surprised at the increase. From $499 to $649! Wow!

DW and I went down in person this afternoon and renewed our Premium passes. We skipped the price increase last year by buying early as well, which means we just delayed the inevitable. As we were buying this year I was commenting that we won't be renewing again next year and DW just looked at me like I was nuts or something.

Kids are older now and on their own to get passes, or not.

Prices all around us are increasing and Disney is no exception, but nobody I have talked to ever expected such a large increase.

If you are looking to book on DVC points, then the choice is obviously narrow. We have stayed at Paradise Pier and it is the lowest points of the Hotels, and honestly it is not that bad. You have to cross a major street to get to the parks but it is fairly close. You still get to use the private back entrance to DCA through the GC resort which is right across the street. The DLH is definitely more points, but much more themed and immersive like what you experience at WDW.
Hope you have a blast wherever you decide to stay :)

We are not looking at staying at PPH or DLH.

We want to do MT wax museum, walk of fame, Hollywood and some other things that are a bit farther from Disney. We just plan on staying somewhere closer to those attractions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter