throwing stuff on TOP of the car...

Discussion in 'Camping Community Board' started by Laurabearz, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Laurabearz

Laurabearz <font color=deeppink>I cant load my bobbin!<br><fo

We dont have the money, nor the storage space for an officcial car top carrier, but really need to put our two large tent duffles on the roof, to allow us to move in the van...

Should we wrap them in a tarp even if no rain on the route (3 hour trip)?? Are Bungees sufficient? We also have rope... do we need straps too??

Any tips or horror stories you feel like sharing would be wonderful!

Thanks

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. 2goofycampers

2goofycampers Sounds like something a camping trip could cure!

DUCT TAPE.:lmao:

4. jrandtysmom

jrandtysmom I'm not cool enough for the Tag Fairy...or maybe I

I saw a guy with a 12 pack of Miller Lite riding on top of his car yesterday on my way home from work. He didn't seem to need any of the things you listed, his beer seem to be riding just fine on top. :rotfl:

5. Laurabearz

That might work a little bit too good. :rotfl:

I will let my husband know he has no beer worries now :rotfl2:

6. medic9016

medic9016 Free Agent

Do you have some kind of luggage rack on top of the van? What are you going to bungee or tie the rope to.

7. Laurabearz

Yes we have a luggage rack things that run along the sides and most likely the front and back too...

8. medic9016

medic9016 Free Agent

I would just tie your tents down with some rope and you should be fine. If it looks like rain, put them in large trash bags.

9. AuburnJen92

AuburnJen92 DIS Veteran

don't bungies latch themselves to anything close that they can?:lmao:

10. disney4dan

disney4dan DIS Veteran

For a long trip, I would recommend not using the bungee cords. Nylon rope or the ratcheting tie down straps would be my suggestion. Beware of using twine or rope, that changes in moisture allow some cords to stretch!

As a kid growing up, I first noticed this with a canoe on the roof, and luckily could see the ropes that went to the front bumper starting to get slack in the rain.

As for horror stories, on a road trip to Chicago a few years back we saw a minivan cruising along in the high speed lane with one of those cargo carriers on the roof. It was the kind that had nylon straps which would connect to the rain gutters on each side of the vehicle. The front two straps had come disconnected from the gutters and the back two straps were doing their best to keep that thing on the roof. It would periodically lift up about a foot at the front and we kept waiting to see if it was going to fly off. The driver had no clue they were about to lose the thing.

11. ntsammy5

ntsammy5 DIS Veteran

I have one thing to say --- Nail Gun!

12. RNmomnFL

RNmomnFL Go USF Bulls!

We once had a helmet bungeed (is that a word?) onto our motorcycle and somewhere in the dark on a turnpike en route to Sturgis we lost it although we maintained possession of the bungee (no sign of the helmet). Two lessons learned...helmet is for the head and bungees aren't to be relied on. :)

13. 4mickey2

4mickey2 disney+bichons=happiness

i think we saw your helmet.. was it black and all scratched up :lmao:

14. RNmomnFL

RNmomnFL Go USF Bulls!

OMG don't you know it. :)

15. Pirate-Jeff

Pirate-Jeff DIS Veteran

I saw 1 of those roof top turtle things on the side of route 1 today if you want it it's yours just go and pick it up and if you want the clothes you can have them too just be carefull in the fast lane picking them up. It's in the median on us 1 just south of kennett square Pa.