Through DVC or Resale?

rwalker130

Earning My Ears
Hello again,

Can you tell I am doing my "due-diligence" on this opportunity?

When we buy our points, should we do so through DVC or on the resale market?

Pluses for DVC:
-no closing costs
-option to sell back year one for drop in price of $10/point?
-no worry of ROFR

Pluses for Resale:
-buy at resorts already "sold-out"
-get in at lower per point cost ($68-$72)

Please help me out here.

I have recently bought directly BWV 150 pts,
I checked out both ways before signing up.
To me after paying the closing costs and don't forget I would also have to repay the yearly fee that the previous owner had paid. You are not really saving much for having to wait along time for a decicion to see if you even have been approved. Disney was more that willing to help me get set up. Hassle free I might add. Ask for Joan Lane. She did great for us. IMO I would go direct. Unless you are really set on buying a sold out resort. That should be your first priority is to decide which resort you want for your "home".
I hope I was of some assistance.

We bought our VWL points through Pat Spell at The Timeshare Store. We did not pay the maintenance for 2003 that was paid by the seller. We were offered VWL points through Disney but with MB we would have to pay $74 point plus the 2003 maintenance and give up this years points. With the resale we paid $69 point plus closing and no maintenance. Don't forget in some resales you get banked points so even with closing costs it is a better deal than Disney. The best advice is but where you want to stay. Depending on when you travel the 11 month window could be important.

The only negative to the resale that I saw was the time it took. If you are not in a hurry to use the points I would definately consider that option. Good luck!

ditto momsully, we bout through pat, at VWL, we received banked and this years points, did not pay maintenance on this year and did pay closing, it worked out to 66 per point plus closing, maybe brought it up to 68 per point total, and received all of this years points plus all the banked points, almost 140 points bankedl!

We did both. Byron is our guide at DVC and we bought BCV from him. Pat at the Timeshare Store got us an OKW contract. Both were easy. You can negotiate more on the resale. Pat and Byron are both first rate people and that is important for any deal to go smoothly.

Your due diligence is on the mark. We bought direct and resale for the very reasons you mentioned. BCV was to get that location. OKW because of its tremendous value in our view.

We also worked with Pat. Tough decision - we analyzed both options. We'll be closing next Tuesday on ours, which we got for $66/point, including a ton of banked points (I don't remember how many at the moment). To me, the banked points more than made up for any closing costs. Plus, we wanted OKW, which you can't get direct. Buying on resale you do have some negotiating room (maintenance fees, for one thing), but you've got to be patient.

I applaude your quesions, though. This is a big purchase - you should know that you've considered all options.

Ditto, ditto,ditto:

Deals can be found resale which is the route we took. We may have been at the right place at the right time because we ended up with a whole slew ofbanked points plus the seller paid the maintenance fee. We ended up with more points than we can use in year. We will be doing Disney for the next 8 years in a two bedroom with our family of 8 before we exhaust all the banked points from year to year. We used Lee Reid who found the right deal at a better than expected price. That's not to say we've not been tempted to go DVC for add on points. The DVC incentives are definitely worth exploring. On the other hand ask the resellers what they may have available that hasn't been advertised. There are some anxious sellers (estates, etc.) that are willing to cut the muck just to unload their points. Bad for them, good for us WDWaholics.:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter