Three rules for staying out of poverty

Sorry. I have a lot of problems with people who make a conscious, deliberate decision to live a lifestyle that requires them to be on public assistance.

She made the conscious, deliberate decision to use the tools the government gives to get herself to a better place. She used those tools in the right way so that she is NOT in poverty for the rest of her life.

I made the conscious, deliberate decision to get out of a bad marriage knowing full well that I would have to go on government assistance until I could make things better. That assistance was a means to an end.

That's not independence when you are just having the government support you instead of your parents!

Again, she used that assistance in the way it was meant. She has a lot of reasons to be proud of herself.

I think its ridiculous to down someone for doing what that poster did.

I don't usually post but I thought it would be interesting to give my point of view. I'm a 27 year old african american woman. I was raised in an upper middle class household. Dad was an engineer for GE, mom was stay at home. Wonderful school district. But at 17 I became pregnant, had my daughter right after I turned 18. My parents offered to support me and my daughter while I finished school. I declined moved out on my own with the help of public assistance and food stamps. And by the time I was 23 I had graduated and went to college and became a nurse. And in Nov. of 2010 I moved into a brand new built from the ground up house, and I have also never been married, and had a child way before 21. So when you see people with food stamps, or on public assistance do not judge, because you do not know where they are going or where they came from. And there are no rules for staying out of poverty. God gives it to you and he can take it away. I'm also a left winger waaaaaay left.

So we should be glad that you didn't take any more tax money? Did you have any embarassment that you made decsions that cost other people money? You actually got rewarded-free food, free college. No surprise that you are way left.

Wow..I have to say I'm a little surprised at some of the posts on this (well, not actually, but still). I think the fact that this gal pulled herself up..yes, with HELP from US is a good thing. OK she could have lived with her parents and mooched off of them, but it doesn't bother me that she used the services of the country as they are meant to be used..which is a temporary hands up instead of a lifetime choice as many do. Those are the ones I have a hard time with..the habitual users.If she had stayed with the parents and mooched off of them she may never have become the strong woman she is now, and one to be such an example to her daughter. I'm pretty right of center, but people who use the services that are out there as a temporary stepping stone do not bother me. What type of services this country can afford (and since we are broke would actually be very sparse) is another discussion and not allowed on this board.

She could have just as easily "pulled herself up" on her parent's buck. She was a minor and their responsibility. Choosing to have other's pay for her child, and her education shows a lack of responsibility.

She wasn't a child with no options which is what public assistance should assist. Last ditch, not some teens chance to play house.

She wasn't a child with no options which is what public assistance should assist. Last ditch, not some teens chance to play house.

But we don't know that, do we? There were two choices: parents' support or not. We don't know the circumstances or conditions attached, only that the poster chose "not". That's it, other than she eventually gained an education and became an independent adult supporting her child. Everything else is conjecture and assumption.

But let's assume for a moment that she did have a wonderful, no-strings, physically and emotionally healthy and appropriate offer from her parents on the table and yet chose public assistance. In this scenario (which has assumed to be the case by several folks here) the poster is judged to have been irresponsible (despite her eventual success). Under what other conditions would someone be permitted to take advantage of the abundant and low- or no-cost poverty-avoidance assistance that has been promoted several times on this thread? Who gets to decide if someone has few enough choices? Who gets to say who has enough or not enough to obtain help to get/stay out of poverty?

I don't usually post but I thought it would be interesting to give my point of view. I'm a 27 year old african american woman. I was raised in an upper middle class household. Dad was an engineer for GE, mom was stay at home. Wonderful school district. But at 17 I became pregnant, had my daughter right after I turned 18. My parents offered to support me and my daughter while I finished school. I declined moved out on my own with the help of public assistance and food stamps. And by the time I was 23 I had graduated and went to college and became a nurse. And in Nov. of 2010 I moved into a brand new built from the ground up house, and I have also never been married, and had a child way before 21. So when you see people with food stamps, or on public assistance do not judge, because you do not know where they are going or where they came from. And there are no rules for staying out of poverty. God gives it to you and he can take it away. I'm also a left winger waaaaaay left.

Joined June 2009 and has 5 posts.

So we should be glad that you didn't take any more tax money? Did you have any embarassment that you made decsions that cost other people money? You actually got rewarded-free food, free college. No surprise that you are way left.

Joined August 2007 and has 11 posts.

I wonder who these two really are.;)

I wonder who these two really are.

I have a feeling that the second post was done by someone who doesn't know how to quote someone.
Look at the bottom of the statement, that is the comment, my guess.

Ha! Looks like I don't know how to quote either!

I have a feeling that the second post was done by someone who doesn't know how to quote someone.
Look at the bottom of the statement, that is the comment, my guess.

That makes sense. I got a deja vu moment and then looked for the other.

I think it mostly has to do with the company you keep. ( by choice or not). What in your "group" is considered acceptable will define a lot of what you will choose to see as good/ bad behavior. Example, growing up most of my friends went away to college, it weighed heavily on my mind. My family could not afford college and I had to start working to help out... but the idea that college was important still stayed with me as I watch my group get educated.. I put myself through local school and got my degree ( took me a long time but I did it ha). I imagine that if I was in a group where college was the exception and not the norm, I probably would have not thought it such a big deal .... I see this about many flaws ( or things most would consider a flaw) like heavy drinkers hang around heavy drinkers... over eaters hang with over eaters. Its like some sort of hive behavior that makes something wrong feel correct because you see others doing / not doing it. IMO

Joined June 2009 and has 5 posts.

Joined August 2007 and has 11 posts.

I wonder who these two really are.;)

I am just a SAHM and not sure what compelled me to post. I guess I see so much government assistance end up rewarding irresponsible behavior. My kids are still little, I needs to be humble-who knows what they may put me through :-)

She made the conscious, deliberate decision to use the tools the government gives to get herself to a better place. She used those tools in the right way so that she is NOT in poverty for the rest of her life.

I made the conscious, deliberate decision to get out of a bad marriage knowing full well that I would have to go on government assistance until I could make things better. That assistance was a means to an end.

Again, she used that assistance in the way it was meant. She has a lot of reasons to be proud of herself.

I think its ridiculous to down someone for doing what that poster did.

Sorry, but I don't think getting knocked up at 17 and going on welfare is anything to be proud of and I don't think the welfare system was originally set up so that *upper middle class* brats can move out of their parent's house and have the government support them so they can play house on their own.

(BTW, I think the poster is a troll and she/he posted to stir up trouble.)

So in other words another way to stay out of poverty is

1. Get pregnant.

2. Go on welfare.

3. Have the government pay for everything you need. :cool1:

But we don't know that, do we? There were two choices: parents' support or not. We don't know the circumstances or conditions attached, only that the poster chose "not". That's it, other than she eventually gained an education and became an independent adult supporting her child. Everything else is conjecture and assumption.

But let's assume for a moment that she did have a wonderful, no-strings, physically and emotionally healthy and appropriate offer from her parents on the table and yet chose public assistance. In this scenario (which has assumed to be the case by several folks here) the poster is judged to have been irresponsible (despite her eventual success). Under what other conditions would someone be permitted to take advantage of the abundant and low- or no-cost poverty-avoidance assistance that has been promoted several times on this thread? Who gets to decide if someone has few enough choices? Who gets to say who has enough or not enough to obtain help to get/stay out of poverty?

Her parents offered to support her. According to the poster. Obviously no one but the poster gets to decide. It is people like her that use the system because they want to rather than because they need to, that Is so frustrating. Why should it be the taxpayer's responsibility? There were people legally and able to pay for their daughter.

Her parents offered to support her. According to the poster. Obviously no one but the poster gets to decide. It is people like her that use the system because they want to rather than because they need to, that Is so frustrating. Why should it be the taxpayer's responsibility? There were people legally and able to pay for their daughter.

Sure..that would have been BETTER..but we don't know what the circumstances were. What..people should have to fill out FAFSA type paperwork and only those with no possible family support should get aid? (hmm...maybe that would not be a bad idea..but we are not there)

I just can't figure out why people think it makes sense to post how much money they make (be it 5, 6, or 7 figures) on a public message board. And why they think people shouldn't have opinions about it if they post it. I grew up being taught that money was personal and you never told anyone how much you make. Some people should heed that advice. Telling people how much you make (even in veiled terms) doesn't ever lead to any good. It only causes drama (as evidenced by this thread!).

I just can't figure out why people think it makes sense to post how much money they make (be it 5, 6, or 7 figures) on a public message board. And why they think people shouldn't have opinions about it if they post it. I grew up being taught that money was personal and you never told anyone how much you make. Some people should heed that advice. Telling people how much you make (even in veiled terms) doesn't ever lead to any good. It only causes drama (as evidenced by this thread!).

DH is a government employee. His salary is a matter of public record. If you know his name...you can look it up. Nothing private here. Sometimes, in the course of a conversation, where it is apropos, I will mention our income. I see nothing wrong with it.

I make seven figures. (If you count what comes after the decimal.) :thumbsup2

What is the income guideline for posting on the budget board anyway? This isn't the first thread where someone that may (or may not) have money has been asked why theypost on the BB if they have money?

And the article in the OP didn't say poverty would NEVER happen if you did those three things, just the chance is less. Of course life can, and does, happen but why not atleast try to give youself a headstart.

I make seven figures. (If you count what comes after the decimal.) :thumbsup2

What is the income guideline for posting on the budget board anyway? This isn't the first thread where someone that may (or may not) have money has been asked why theypost on the BB if they have money?

And the article in the OP didn't say poverty would NEVER happen if you did those three things, just the chance is less. Of course life can, and does, happen but why not atleast try to give youself a headstart.

Good point. Anyone can post on this board...even millionaires want suggestions on saving money.

Sure..that would have been BETTER..but we don't know what the circumstances were. What..people should have to fill out FAFSA type paperwork and only those with no possible family support should get aid? (hmm...maybe that would not be a bad idea..but we are not there)

I disagree. Numbers mean little. A family with an income of $150,000 may not live as well as another family with an income of $75,000. So many other factors weigh in that income alone means next to nothing. Are you questioning whether someone with a large income would really be posting on the budget board? From everything I read about the wealthy, they got that way and stay that way because they are cheap and fight to keep every penny.

Clearly, there are many very wealthy people here on the Dis. Go to the Community board and read about some people's vacation plans! Wow, there is a lot of money out there (and here, lol).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter