Three rules for staying out of poverty

A rich person budgets but does not complain about buying what a candy bar costs to us.

Some of us have way better memories than others. When she first posted the 6-7 figure I was shocked that she would brag and asked her about it. Of course, she ignored it. That stuck in my head and made me wonder if she made it up.

Then I see her posting about not having money for a roof. Hmmmm I do not make 7 figures (very, very far from it) but I could replace my roof and not have to borrow money so that I only had $3K left in the bank.

Then she is having trouble with paying for college.

Do you really think a person who makes a million dollars a year has troubles paying these tiny bills. A $130 book at her income is what a second of work?

We am helping another person with college. This is no my child. I spent way more than $130 for books and I did not need a thread to complain about the cost.

I remembered her "we were poor post" and then I see this how wealthy her
parents were.

People can pretend to be whomever they want but when you pretend it is best to keep the story straight.

Ok so this is getting a little mean so I'll end it here.

1) A rich person complains about any thing they want, just like a poor person. I apologize I did not know there was an income level requirement before one could complain. And yes I complain about the cost of candy bars because I think its ridiculous that the same size bar that used to cost a quarter is now $1.50.
2) I never said I could not afford the pay the tuition at Seton Hall, the thread was How do rich folks afford college tuition. I answered the question.
3) I fill out the Fasfa because most schools require you to do so in order to qualify for school based grants and aid. If a school wishes to give my kid some money. Damn straight I'm taking it. NO matter what my income.
4) I also said my income varies, some years very good, some years great.
5) I also believe my roofing question was not that I could not pay for it but if I remember correctly that was the year I also had a huge IRS bill, my a/c broke and had another big bill. I believe the thread was about should I take a loan or use up my emergency cash account. No matter what my income I don't have an endless supply of cash to tap into.
6) I didn't answer your previous question because it was probably none of your freakin business.
7) I was not bragging. Muushka asked a very direct question whether her upbringing influenced how she thought. I answered her question from a different prespective.
8) I also complain about the cost of braces (ridiculous), the cost of my nieces bikini (ridiculous). I also asked where to find a cheap cocktail dress because I hate wasting money on an item that I will only wear once, once again no matter what my income I hate to waste money.
9) I have blown money in my youth. probably why I hate to do it now.

enjoy.

elixa- just admit you don't make 7 figures a year at DuPont as a chemist
( you DO know 7 figures means a Million dollars- right?)

elixa- just admit you don't make 7 figures a year at DuPont as a chemist
( you DO know 7 figures means a Million dollars- right?)

LOL you are absolutely right I 100% admit I don't make a million dollars as a chemist, I also own a few businesses, have a husband who is into oil and have various other investments
But you are 100% correct, Dupont salaries are generally in the 2000-300K pre bonus. except the name is Eliza.

It's actually worse than you think. I'm currently taking baking classes. my goal is in 5 years to launch a line of absolutely fabulous gourmet cup cakes. My ultimate dream would be to have my cupcakes in Disney land Paris, Disney land CA and Epcot. I guess I'll really have no right to complain.

:rotfl2:
Wow-owns a few biznesses here and Internationally
The DIS never fails to keep things interesting on a boring Sat afternoon
;)

I guess I don't see why it's that interesting? There was also a lotto winner on here that someone was skeptical of, and I just don't understand why it's so confounding to people that some people actually do have money?

(I'm not one of them, btw. DH and I both work for non profits and budget carefully so that we are able to do that. But maybe that's why we don't have a problem with the fact that there are people who are extremely well off and don't flaunt it. We both know our most incredibly generous donors are very unassuming people.)

I guess I don't see why it's that interesting? There was also a lotto winner on here that someone was skeptical of, and I just don't understand why it's so confounding to people that some people actually do have money?

(I'm not one of them, btw. DH and I both work for non profits and budget carefully so that we are able to do that. But maybe that's why we don't have a problem with the fact that there are people who are extremely well off and don't flaunt it. We both know our most incredibly generous donors are very unassuming people.)

I'm not confused about people having money. What DOES confuse me is someone who, in one post, states that they had to live in a tiny, crowded, hot apartment and that their only "blessing" was a family and in another posts tells us how financially wealthy her upbringing was.

There is no way to pass those off as anything but contradictory posts.

Ok so this is getting a little mean so I'll end it here.

1) A rich person complains about any thing they want, just like a poor person. I apologize I did not know there was an income level requirement before one could complain. And yes I complain about the cost of candy bars because I think its ridiculous that the same size bar that used to cost a quarter is now $1.50.
2) I never said I could not afford the pay the tuition at Seton Hall, the thread was How do rich folks afford college tuition. I answered the question.
3) I fill out the Fasfa because most schools require you to do so in order to qualify for school based grants and aid. If a school wishes to give my kid some money. Damn straight I'm taking it. NO matter what my income.
4) I also said my income varies, some years very good, some years great.
5) I also believe my roofing question was not that I could not pay for it but if I remember correctly that was the year I also had a huge IRS bill, my a/c broke and had another big bill. I believe the thread was about should I take a loan or use up my emergency cash account. No matter what my income I don't have an endless supply of cash to tap into.
6) I didn't answer your previous question because it was probably none of your freakin business.
7) I was not bragging. Muushka asked a very direct question whether her upbringing influenced how she thought. I answered her question from a different prespective.
8) I also complain about the cost of braces (ridiculous), the cost of my nieces bikini (ridiculous). I also asked where to find a cheap cocktail dress because I hate wasting money on an item that I will only wear once, once again no matter what my income I hate to waste money.
9) I have blown money in my youth. probably why I hate to do it now.

enjoy.

So were you poor and had 6 in a tiny apartment or where you wealthy as a kid?

You answered your own question.;)

I don't usually post but I thought it would be interesting to give my point of view. I'm a 27 year old african american woman. I was raised in an upper middle class household. Dad was an engineer for GE, mom was stay at home. Wonderful school district. But at 17 I became pregnant, had my daughter right after I turned 18. My parents offered to support me and my daughter while I finished school. I declined moved out on my own with the help of public assistance and food stamps. And by the time I was 23 I had graduated and went to college and became a nurse. And in Nov. of 2010 I moved into a brand new built from the ground up house, and I have also never been married, and had a child way before 21. So when you see people with food stamps, or on public assistance do not judge, because you do not know where they are going or where they came from. And there are no rules for staying out of poverty. God gives it to you and he can take it away. I'm also a left winger waaaaaay left.

I don't usually post but I thought it would be interesting to give my point of view. I'm a 27 year old african american woman. I was raised in an upper middle class household. Dad was an engineer for GE, mom was stay at home. Wonderful school district. But at 17 I became pregnant, had my daughter right after I turned 18. My parents offered to support me and my daughter while I finished school. I declined moved out on my own with the help of public assistance and food stamps. And by the time I was 23 I had graduated and went to college and became a nurse. And in Nov. of 2010 I moved into a brand new built from the ground up house, and I have also never been married, and had a child way before 21. So when you see people with food stamps, or on public assistance do not judge, because you do not know where they are going or where they came from. And there are no rules for staying out of poverty. God gives it to you and he can take it away. I'm also a left winger waaaaaay left.

Good For You! You're a Great Role model for your daughter.... strive for success....it CAN be done with the "will" to want it! :wizard:!

LOL you are absolutely right I 100% admit I don't make a million dollars as a chemist, I also own a few businesses, have a husband who is into oil and have various other investments
But you are 100% correct, Dupont salaries are generally in the 2000-300K pre bonus. except the name is Eliza.

It's actually worse than you think. I'm currently taking baking classes. my goal is in 5 years to launch a line of absolutely fabulous gourmet cup cakes. My ultimate dream would be to have my cupcakes in Disney land Paris, Disney land CA and Epcot. I guess I'll really have no right to complain.

I hope you are hiring men from your church's food pantry/soup kitchen that need a job. I would hate to think you are taking all that money out as the CEO of the company and not hiring these poor men from Camden.

I applaud you. :goodvibes You must realize that you are not the norm. Not by a long shot. There is definitely something, a driving force, inside some people that is clearly missing in others that allows and pushes one to succeed. Statistics absolutely support that young, single mothers are much less likely to reach "middle class".

Well, that was my point. Many things that people have no choice in have a huge effect on whether or not they succeed.
I disagree. A few people genuinely cannot succeed for reasons beyond their control, but the vast, vast majority can manage to graduate from high school (kids in need get soooo much special help these days; really, everyone should graduate), avoid pregnancy before marriage, etc.

I'll give an example: A few nights ago my husband and I went to the grocery store, and the check-out girl was one of my former students. I asked how long it'd been since she graduated, noted that she'd been at that grocery store for years now, and she said she's an assistant manager now. I told her I was proud of her, which was very true. Back in the car, my husband said he could tell that the girl had been one of my favorites. She was. She has four brothers who have been hanging around high school for years and years and aren't close to graduate at all. Their mother has literally never worked a day in her life, nor was she ever married. The four boys cause trouble constantly at school and receive all sorts of special services. The girl also had some special services at school, yet she also worked from the time she was old enough, and she's making something of herself. No one advocates for her at home. No one values education or work at her house. For her to become an assistant manager three years out of high school is like a middle-class kid becoming a surgeon; it's a huge accomplishment -- she really worked hard for this. Looking at this family, she's the kid who shouldn't have made it. Where'd she go right?

In contrast, I just taught a kid last year who has two doctors for parents. He's one of a slew of kids -- I want to say five, but I might be wrong. He's the third child. All his siblings have done okay in school. Not great, but okay. They all started in private school and moved to public for high school. They have everything going for them: Two educated parents who are moderately involved with school, opportunities for educational enrichment, travel, money. Yet he's lazy, lazy, lazy and probably won't graduate with his class this year. He's the kid who should have made it -- with honors. And his siblings all should've done more than graduate with average grades. Where'd he go wrong?

I know LOTS of kids who defy the odds (for good or for bad). In fact, I was one of them.
I'd like to add a 4th tip: Spend less than you earn (this works for people no matter how much or little you make)
I agree, and I'll add two more: Don't divorce. Divorce is one of the most expensive choices you can make.
And avoid debt. If you can't pay it today, why do you think you can pay for it AND INTEREST tomorrow?
Think of a child who experiences any one of these risk factors: growing up in poverty, being prenatally exposed to alcohol or drugs, growing up with a mother always passed out from substances, experiencing abuse or neglect, not receiving (for one reason or another) an education, being raped/sexually abused, having cognitive limitations due to prenatal exposure or neglect, etc... There is no way to say which one of these horrible things will lead to poverty, but they are ALL, among other variables, risk factors for poverty (and other things, such as mental illness... hey, another risk factor for poverty that hard work can't easily overcome!)
Was that six factors that you listed? I had two of them. And my parents actually threw roadblocks in my way to try to prevent me from going to college. Yet I have two college degrees and have been working in a professional job for two decades.

My husband had a supportive family, but he experienced one of these negatives growing up (plus he lost a parent at a young age), yet today he also has two college degrees and has been in a professional job for more than 25 years.

I don't believe we both beat the odds randomly. We're both intelligent and were born with good health, but we don't have any special skills or abilities that helped us out of tough situations. Neither of us inherited great wealth, won a lottery, developed an invention that made millions, or anything else outrageous. I think we just recognized that we wanted to make something of ourselves, so we worked hard. Day after day.

I totally agree that people who are born with low cognitive ability, serious mental illnesses, or serious physical handicaps are much less likely to "make it" in the world -- but that's a small percentage of Americans. People with average intelligence and healthy bodies might not have as many opportunities as those who also have supportive families (and money, and educational help), but too many of us "make it" to say that it's unlikely.
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=43108205&postcount=274

She makes high 6 to 7 figures a year.
Doesnt 7 figures mean $1 million dollars?
So a Millionaire is hanging on the Budget Board.:banana:
I have no idea about the poster whom you're criticizing, but you're operating under the mistaken idea that a person with a big salary doesn't need to pay attention to how he or she spends it. EVERYONE who wants to do well financially needs a budget; some of those budgets are higher than others. Free-spenders are likely to end up broke no matter how much money they earn.

Personally, I can tell you that my husband and I don't earn all that much money. We're in a part of the country where the cost of living (and salaries as well) is low. We are very healthy financially not because we bring in big bucks, but because we started saving young, because we avoid debt like the plague, and because we spend very carefully.
To me if you're making 7 figures a $130 textbook wouldnt set you off:rolleyes1
So people who have money shouldn't complain when they pay a huge price for something that's clearly a rip-off? No textbook should cost $130. It's completely outrageous. Colleges shouldn't be able to get away with it.

Here's an analogy: Right now I have about 12K in my checking account (and payday's next week), and my kids asked if we could go to the movies tonight. I told them no because tickets are $10.50 on Saturday nights; I told them we can go tomorrow afternoon when tickets are $6.00 -- how much money I have has no impact on what I'm willing to spend. I expect to get the best value for every dollar.

Being budget-minded doesn't mean you're poor.
Rather, being budget-minded means you watch your pennies.
They say there are a lot of secret millionaires out there who die in their budget homes leaving behind previously unknown about wealth. I agree wtih you IN THEORY. However, I really doubt people who make a million dollars a year (or in the high hundred thousands) generally fuss over the kinds of things this poster is fussing about, have to take out school loans, or spend much time on the budget board trying to figure out how to save a few nickels. My thought is that someone got mixed up and meant to say they had a high FIVE figure or low SIX figure income and isn't making the millions we're assuming.

People who make that kind of money don't do so at a "job."
I know more than a few "secret millionaires", but I grew up in an unusual area: It was VERY rural, and most people in my parents' generation inherited land yet chose to live in the small two-bedroom houses that their grandparents had built (often adding on a family room, another bathroom, or whatever). Few of them had college educations, and most of them worked very hard at blue collar jobs. Our county had the highest per-capita savings rate in the state, yet to drive through the area you'd NEVER have known it.

Things have changed a good bit for my age group, but I know that I personally am very much like that older generation.
A rich person budgets but does not complain about buying what a candy bar costs to us.
I wouldn't complain about the cost of a candy bar . . . but a candy bar is a luxury purchase; as such, I only buy them when they're buy-one-get-one-free. Or after holidays, when bags of candy are marked down. As I said a moment ago, it's not about how much money I have -- it's about getting the most for every dollar. Frugal doesn't mean poor. Frugal doesn't mean you don't have money.
Good for you! You're proof that a person who is willing to work hard can make it, even when the road isn't laid out nice and neat for you.

However, I'm sure that you know plenty of other girls in similar situations who didn't do as well. Thinking of the people I knew from high school, and thinking of the kids I've taught in my 20 years in high school, the statistics are true: Most of the ones who become pregnant as teens will suffer for it financially. How do the few successful girls manage to "do it right"? They're more mature, and they realize that they're going to have to work harder than the other kids. But most won't step up to the plate and do what has to be done.

My tips for not being poor would be: be born into a middle-class or wealthy family, with caring parents, who can give you a good start in life.

Teresa

Your tips are IMPOSSIBLE for some...one cannot choose to be born into a certain class, nor can one choose caring parents (and there are caring parents & rotten parents at all economic levels

BUT graduating high school, waiting until 21 to marry, waiting to marry to have kids & being employed full-time are CHOICES (for the most part...FT work in can be elusive for some but still, nationally over 90% of adults are employed full-time)

Not saying that these are EASY choices for everyone...but my husband was raised by a single mother in poverty. Not only did he get a high school education, he went to college also (loans/grants/part time work)--because he knew (as did his mother) that schooling was the ticket out of poverty.

My husband & I are teachers in schools with diverse populations. We have always encouraged our students to graduate high school, etc, but to have evidence is very helpful. Many students WILL buy into this--it is simple & straightforward. Great resource for many.

So you were raised in an *upper middle-class home* and yet you chose to go on welfare instead of continuing to live at home and have your family help you?

So instead of your family helping you out, we the taxpayers got stuck footing the bill taking care of you and your child? :thumbsup2

And you think that was the right thing to do? :sad2:

gourmet cupcakes? 5 years from now? :rotfl:
I think the cupcake fad is just about over.

Not to mention that I think Disney is doing just fine making their own.

The unemployment rate in this country is at about 8.5%. However, you can't pick a random 8-9 ppl out of a 100. If you separate it out, the unemployment rate of college graduates is about 5ish%, high school graduates at about 12%, and high school dropouts at well over 20%

I understand that not everyone goes to college or even high school. However, the statistics don't lie. In the great recession, the more education a person has had, the less likely they would fall into that 8.5%

gourmet cupcakes? 5 years from now? :rotfl:
I think the cupcake fad is just about over.

Not to mention that I think Disney is doing just fine making their own.

;)
Yep- the cupcake trend is nearly done

but I am amazed that besides the existing companies here and abroad, the full time job as a chemist, she still needs another job/ company:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter