thoughts on wheelchair

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts. I have decided to rent a scooter. Son still isn't too happy but I can't enjoy disney when I am in pain.

What is his objection to a scooter? Is he afraid he won't be able to keep up?

Several years ago DH pushed his mom around WDW and DLR in a wheelchair and messed up his knee from the effort. The parks are not as flat as you'd think. Now that DH and I have mobility issues we both use scooters and they make all the difference. We wouldn't be able to enjoy the parks without them.

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts. I have decided to rent a scooter. Son still isn't too happy but I can't enjoy disney when I am in pain.
Good on you for doing what is best for you regardless of your son's angst! You're trip will be easier and much more fun if you're not in pain. :) I will say scooters take some practice so if you can take them for a spin at local stores and such, and maybe on a day long excursion just so that you get a feel for maneuverability and limitations. For instance they take up a fair bit of room and each has a different turning radius. Also, learning to wait patiently in crowds is tough for some but is worth the practice. You'll still probably move faster than on foot. :) Oh, if pain and swelling from keeping your legs bent are an issue a dip in a pool or even a bath at night helps considerably! If anyone complained about my wheelchair when traveling with our family, well they probably would not be joining us for a second trip. :grouphug:

Several years ago DH pushed his mom around WDW and DLR in a wheelchair and messed up his knee from the effort. The parks are not as flat as you'd think.
Agreed. Even in flat seeming areas there are dips and bumps in the "road". Also many of the accessible entrances are in some odd and uneven grounded places. Is his knee okay now?

Our 9 year old has mild cerebral palsy and is very active, but does get tired in the parks. He had his Achilles tendons lengthened a couple of years ago, but still was with a limp and drags his left foot a little. He also walks much slower than the rest of us do. We bring his wheelchair and I used worry about what people would think of a boy that could walk but would use a chair. I though people we assume that we were trying to abuse the system. But I really don't care anymore. It helps us enjoy the parks and contrary to what a lot of people think it does not give you front of the line access. Most of the queues are WC accessible and the ones that are not we usually wait longer than we would if we didn't have a WC. Once we waited in TSM for an hour in the WC accessible line and we had FP but do to the stairs we could not use the regular line.

Out DS 16 is at that age that gets embarrassed easily and he thinks that people will judge us. The last couple of trips he has asked us to not bring it. We told him that he could carry his brother when he gets tired or we could leave the parks earlier than planned. We have also told him not to complain when he wants to get somewhere and his brother is walking much slower he couldn't complain about anything. Usually this changes his mind. Once we are in the park he likes that we bring. It makes our trip more enjoyable as a family.

Do what is best for you.

Whether he likes it or not, it seems like the best compromise. You get the mobility you want and he's not required to push.

Baklava is right. We went to both WDW and Universal the last week of May for our family vacation and I can truthfully say that I would not have been able to make the trip without using an ECV. My knees simply would not have been able to keep up with the almost 8 miles a day our family walked. My family was supportive of my decision and that made my decision easier.

Get an EVC because you will not regret it no matter what others inside or outside of your family may think or say.

Glad you are doing what works for you. I agree all teenagers will be embarrassed by their parents - if it was not this, it would be something else. I will say that pushing a wheelchair with someone in it is *hard* work, and can be really hard on the pusher's knees and back. I know people got tired pushing me in my custom manual chair... so this seems like a great compromise that will work for both of you.

My DD is 16, and was just diagnosed (finally!) with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. She tires easily, and her joint pain had gotten much worse over the last year.
She used a stroller longer at Disney than most kids do (even at age 8 I brought one from home to use at Disney).
This past trip in March, after our first half day at Epcot (we got there in the afternoon), the next morning, she said her ankles hurt and her shoulder (and most other joints) and she didn't want to walk much that day. I asked her if she needed a wheelchair, and her eyes lit up with, "Can I do that, really?". We rented one at the parks, and she was so much more comfortable! Her friend was along with her brother and mom (it was just me and DD in our room that trip), and her friend was totally cool with taking turns often when we were all together pushing her.
That trip, I noticed so many "seemingly" healthy folks using rental chairs. It was in the 90's every day, so quite hot to walk the average 8 miles many days we were walking!
I didn't care if anyone thought it was wrong that she CAN walk but needed the tool to get her around. We'd park it upstairs at the Land pavilion and walk down to do Soarin' or eat or whatever.
She didn't care what anyone thinks, but she's that way.
I don't understand that your son would worry about what strangers think. Who cares? You have to do what's right for you.
This trip coming up next month, we're debating renting daily at the parks versus renting from an outside company the whole trip (which is where I'm leaning). We will eventually buy a good lightweight one to have for trips with lots of walking, but it takes time to research what we need.
I say if you need it, bring it and tell him you need some help pushing you. You can always take breaks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter