Thoughts on these points use ideas

photobob

DIS Veteran
I've been researching how to make the most of our points when we become empty nesters and have found basically three doable scenarios that will use pretty close to our total yearly points, give or take a few(we usually bank some to keep in reserve.)

1. Three Sun-Thurs trips in a studio, 15 nights total.
2. Two Sun-Fri trips in a studio, 12 nights total.
3. One Sun-Thurs in a one bedroom, One Sun-Thurs in a studio, 10 nights total.

Which of these scenarios would you prefer? They all have their merits, don't they.

4. Add on 100 points and always stay in a one bedroom. (After seeing my 2008 401k report which showed a dropped of 1/3 of its value, this is definitely a long shot!)

DH & I are empty nesters. We always stay in a studio. We are hardly in the room and a studio is comfortable enough for 2. A 1 BR, although nice, gives us less vacation days so we'd rather do the studio. We've always done Sun-Th stays because of the high points on weekends. We fly in very early on Sun and late out on Fri so we get almost 6 full days there. Now with the lower points on weekends, we might extend to Fri nite. It really is a matter of preference and how many days you want to be away.

Why not try all three. One each year for three years and then decide which way works best! I have already mapped out what we want to do for the next 3 years - subject to change of course. I am sure that our plans may change after our two older kids are out of the house and only the young one is home - who knows we may try a studio too. For now, though we are sticking with the 2 bedroom and plan to enjoy it!

We're empty nesters and only once have we stayed in a 1 bedroom together and that was OKW, and it was very nice. We've stayed in 2 bedrooms at BCV, VWL and BWV, and DH says that if we ever stay in a 1 bedroom again, his only choice is OKW! He much prefers OKW's layout much better than those others would be. It turns out that we differ on that.:rotfl: I am not as enamoured of OKW, the resort, and I like any of our DVC homes much better than OKW. So we stay in studios at our homes and so, I would have to choose your choice #1, more nights stay.

Someday, if we both are retired (yes 401K considerations show that retirement is more of a dream than we thought it would be) I would love to stay in an OKW 1 bedroom for about 4 weeks, but that would be because I think of that more in terms of "living" than visiting as in vacation, so I see a difference. OKW would be fine for me as an apartment complex. I would hope in that case my "first floor or elevator building" request would be met.

Bobbi:goodvibes

I've been researching how to make the most of our points when we become empty nesters and have found basically three doable scenarios that will use pretty close to our total yearly points, give or take a few(we usually bank some to keep in reserve.)

Which of these scenarios would you prefer? They all have their merits, don't they.

4. Add on 100 points and always stay in a one bedroom. (After seeing my 2008 401k report which showed a dropped of 1/3 of its value, this is definitely a long shot!)
I would choose #3....we are approaching empty nesters (as soon as the kids stop moving back home!!). This is what we would do.....won't get burned out from going too often!

If so, they have changed the points value for Sun - Thurs by raising them and lowering the points on weekends.
Just an FYI if you missed that thread!

I choose #4. DW and I decided last VB trip that even though we love the sights and sounds with the OVIRs, we really need a 1 bdrm with kitchen, and laundry from now on.

All of them! Oh wait, you wanted me to select only one? :lmao:

If those are the only choices, I'd likely choose the first one for more nights. In reality, I would choose only a 1 bedroom for at least as many nights as my points would handle.

If so, they have changed the points value for Sun - Thurs by raising them and lowering the points on weekends.
Just an FYI if you missed that thread!

No, I definitely didn't miss that thread! I participated in it for awhile. These are based on 2010 points.

Rob, I'll have to agree with you #4 is the most inviting. A studio is adequate, but the one bedroom is ideal. We too like the the kitchen, laundry and the extra lounging room and my DW loves the big jacuzzi tub. Unfortunately right now things are kind of slow, so if you know someone who needs a wedding photographer or a senior portrait photographer send them my way!

BTW I hope my kids don't find my threads and see how much I'm looking forward to being an empty nester! Don't want them to get a complex!

I'm already thinking about January 2011 (when DH should finally be retired) and I'm thinking of a value 1 br at AKL for 5 nights, and then if I can snag it at 7 months a standard 1 br at BWV for another 5 nights (yes I know I might not get it), or a 1 br at OKW. If I have to conserve more points, I'll do one week in a studio first, then the AKL value 1br. I'll stay in a resort or off-property for Saturday and Sunday.

I can't see myself spending 14 or 15 nights in a studio, yes it's doable and many do it but I have to vote for the 1 bedroom! Go for #4!

I can't see myself spending 14 or 15 nights in a studio, yes it's doable and many do it but I have to vote for the 1 bedroom! Go for #4!

Even if the 14/15 nights are not all at once?

OP, I think if you plan on just staying 5 nights at a time, a studio would be fine. Also, if you enjoy different times of the year at WDW, three trips would be perfect. I'm not an empty nester, but I really think that when I am, a studio will be just right.

Even if the 14/15 nights are not all at once?

OP, I think if you plan on just staying 5 nights at a time, a studio would be fine. Also, if you enjoy different times of the year at WDW, three trips would be perfect. I'm not an empty nester, but I really think that when I am, a studio will be just right.

You know that's the beauty of DVC, I don't mind a studio if it's just the two of us for a day or two but anymore than that I can't do it. I don't sleep much, I need to get up and move around and I prefer shorter stays w/ 1 brm or 2brm.

You gotta love all the options!:banana:

We are almost empty nesters. Our son is 20 and we make some trips without him. I prefer the one bedroom for the great bathroom and the extra seating. My husband tends to get up early and I stay up late. That gives us a place to be while the other is asleep. And did I say how much I love the bathroom!

Although I am no where near an empty nester, I would have to consider whether you are flying or driving and do you have an AP. If driving and you have an AP, I would choose the plan with the most nights.

We are almost empty nesters. Our son is 20 and we make some trips without him. I prefer the one bedroom for the great bathroom and the extra seating. My husband tends to get up early and I stay up late. That gives us a place to be while the other is asleep. And did I say how much I love the bathroom!

Those are very good points. We love the 1 BDR as well.

Although I am no where near an empty nester, I would have to consider whether you are flying or driving and do you have an AP. If driving and you have an AP, I would choose the plan with the most nights.

We do drive and will probably have AP's. These two posts pretty much sum up the argument I have with myself. More nights or better accommodations!

I would go for the first option first. if that isn't enough, you could adjust to the 1BR next trip.

When we bought our points we basically planned for your option #1 but found that we like taking family members with us better and it's hard for us to afford going to WDW with a 1YO baby 3 times per year! I think as an empty nester, this would be great. I also love seeing your pictures in the Canon thread. Since you're a Photographer, maybe getting the chance to travel more frequently would open up additional doors to supplement your trips. I think you're great at what you do, so who knows!

I would choose #4, my DH and I have stayed in a studio before but really prefer having a 1 bedroom for the space, the kitchen, washer and dryer, etc. We really like having our sleeping area separate from our sitting area, it gives a more feeling of being in a condo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter