Thoughts/Feedback on OKW

Annie&Hallie'sMom

<font color=deeppink>Things turn out best for peop
9 weeks and 5 days till we visit friends at OKW. As DVCers, they will have a one bedroom, and we will be sleeping on their sofa bed.

I have NO idea what to expect, as we have never been to this resort.

What can I expect?

We stayed at OKW last year and were thrilled. We had driven through in April '01 when considering a DVC purchase and thought it was too far from the action and relatively unimpressive from the exterior. We quickly changed our minds after we walked in the door.

The rooms are huge. The 1-bedroom has a full size kitchen, a big living room, full-sized laundry room, jacuzzi, etc. Since you'll be on the sleeper, you won't get to enjoy the huge master bedroom, but there is plenty of space. The resort is also one of the most relaxing places in WDW. Our huge balcony overlooked the golf course and a nice fountain. We enjoyed the breakfast at Olivia's and thought the counter-service food at Goode's was pretty good too.

If you compare it to one of the monorail or Epcot deluxe resorts, it will feel sort of out of the way. You have to bus to all the parks (boat to DTD) and there aren't a lot of restaurants or nearby nightlife. We thought this was a great trade for a wonderful, quiet, and relaxing atmosphere.

We have stayed at OKW twice & really liked it. The villas are very spacious & decorated beautifully in pastel colors. We had a ground level floor and our patio was large and right next to the golf course. We didn't use the buses (we rented a car so we just drove ourselves to the parks). One of my favorite things about staying at OKW is that you can park right outside your door! We stayed in a 2 BR Villa & my parents slept on the sofa bed. They said the bed was comfortable (& my dad would be the first to complain if the bed hurt his back!). The food at Olivia's is good, too! :D

I'm sure you will like OKW. It is a beautiful resort.

:wave: Have a Great Time! :wave:

I think that riggins and deadheadbelle have done a great job of describing the positives of OKW. I think you'll be very impressed and that you'll just love it there. The resort is gorgeous, and the "wow factor" when you first walk into the room is memorable.

Have a terrific time, and tell us about it when you get home. :D

We loved our stay in a one bedroom at OKW last year! As others have said the room is very spacious. OKW just has an awesome laid back feel to it. It really feels like a "home" while at WDW. Although we did not visit the main pool we were just a building away from the South Point quiet pool and spa. That was good enough for us and 2yo DD. We had an excellent vacation there, hope you do as well! :)

I hate to be a wet blanket, but I have slept in the living room at OKW and I will never do so again.

(1) The sofa bed is OK, but not great. I slept on it once when we gave my in-laws the master bedroom. Never again. I have since slept on the sofa beds at VWL and at BCV and both were more comfortable. Then again, I was sharing those beds with my DD and not my husband as at OKW.

(2) There really no where for your clothes or things in the living room. You can hang some stuff in the hall closet and there is a buffet which has some shelves, but that's it.

(3) You lack privacy since you are really in the "common" area. There is no place that is your own and you can't go off somewhere to rest away from other people.

(4) Some of the 1 BRs do not have 2 doors into the only bathroom. In those units you need to walk through the master bedroom to the bathroom. Make sure your friends request one of the units in one of the newer buildings (away from the main pool :( ) that have a door into the bathroom through the laundry room.

Annie&Hallie'sMom:)
I look forward to reading your trip report when you get back. I am curious to see how you like OKW. Next Aug.04 with 7 others we plan on going and would like to stay in the 2brm villa. We saw OKW in July and it seemed like a relaxing place to stay and thought it would be a good place since Mom (84) will also be with us.
I have been busy reading and posting on the Dis Boards since we got back from our trip in July. So far I have found out a lot of interesting points to consider when we go again, both pro and con about a number of different topics. This one that you have brought up has been very helpful. Thanks to all for your comments. As a newcomer I need all the help I can get. ;)
:cool: "Montana Minnies"
:bounce: :bounce: Enid:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Thanks for all the feedback. Keep it coming, as I have no real idea of what OKW is like.

Thanks also for the honesty robin. I realize that we won't have much privacy, and a sofa bed is not my ideal, but since our friends are letting us stay with them, I really can't complain. And I'm hoping that we will spend most of our time in the parks.

Here's a link to the DIS information page about OKW.
And here's a link to the resort map. The main pool is at the Hospitality House, but there are 3 other pools and the one by Old Turtle Pond also has a snack area and kids play area. If you don't have a car, you are never far from a bus stop.
Buildings 30 and higher have 2 entrances to the bathroom; one in the master bedroom and one thru the laundry room. A one bedroom unit is 942 square feet, so even though you won't have a lot of privacy since you will be sleeping in the living rrom, you will have a lot of room. The buffet in the dining room that can be used for storage is about 6 feet long, divided into 2 sections with one shelf in each. My DD uses 1/2 of that space when we stay at OKW and finds she has plenty of room. The front hall closet is about 3.5 feet wide, so there is quite a bit of room there too (although something is stored there - a vacuum, I think). My DD has no complaints about the sofa bed (except that her cousin who came with us last time sleeps all over the bed and hogs the blankets).
THere are no pictures of the inside of the rooms on the DIS site, but if you go to the DVC board, you will find postings that do have pictures in them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter