Those that save change all year......

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by lisaross, Jun 17, 2006.

1. lisaross

lisaross DIS Veteran

OK now i have a huge jar of change - what is the best way to cash it in for dollars??

I'd hate to roll it all - what about the coin machines?? do you know the best coin machine place that does not take a big percentage of your money?

how do you guys do it??

i'm assuming i've got about 500+ in change.

thanks

lisa

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. DVC~OKW~96

DVC~OKW~96 <font color=green>I'm not big on gold as a color.

LOL! I just keep saving it! I look at the amount to deal with and just close the door and keep filling those jars! LOL!

It will be interesting to learn what others do. I keep telling myself I'll roll it all during the next hurricane. :sad2:

4. ocd4disney

ocd4disney <font color=blue>I have been known to number my so

The coin counters around here that you find in the grocery stores take 8 % :eek: ....or at least they used to. Dh and I have almost 1000 in change......so we bought our own automatic coin roller.....i think we will be rolling our change for our December trip. :eek:

5. lisaross

lisaross DIS Veteran

rollers for free???

6. paladin

paladin DIS Veteran

My bank takes unrolled coins and just throws it in their counter. No charge for this. Have you asked your bank? (They take rolled coins too, of course)

7. Plantlady

Plantlady <font color=darkorchid>I eat a lot of pringles whi

Check at your bank. My bank lets customers use a change counting machine for free. None customers can use it, and pay a percentage, but I'm not sure what it is. I do have to visit the main branch to do this, rather than the branches at the grocery store.

Your bank might also have a coin machine in the back too, that you can't see, but they would still let you use it. (A past bank I used had this feature)

8. mom2boys0310

mom2boys0310 Earning My Ears

Hi, if you have a Commerce bank near you they have a machine that you can put your change in and get cash for it..you don't have to have an account there oh and it's free! Hope that helps. Barbara

9. lisaross

lisaross DIS Veteran

what banks have done this??

i belong to Chase, but hey i'd open an account to use this feature. I've heard Commerce is good - anyone use them for free coin counting???

lisa

10. kinntj

kinntj DIS Veteran

Our credit union has a change machine you can put your change into yourself and it pops out a slip and you take it up to the teller. We have to be members to get this service. If you're not a member, you have to pay a fee (very small though).

I would definately call banks in your area to see if they do it for free or a smaller fee than 8% (OUCH!!)

11. reesecup

reesecup DIS Veteran

:teeth:

I put my children to work the last time we did this. But I made it worth their time. I told them if they helped me (and they really did end up doing most of it), that a portion would be their spending money for Disney.

It worked so I'll be trying it again! We have change everywhere!!!! I hope it all adds up to a good amount!

12. Spoodleink

Spoodleink Mouseketeer

I have used Commerce a bunch of times I used to work there and the Penny Arcade( change counting machines) is free for customers and non customers you just dump in you change and it prints a recipt fot you to take to the teller. Not sure where you are but Chevy Chase bank has them too. I would not reccomend the coinstar machines at the grocery store because they take $.07 ont he dollar so if you have a lot of change that $.07 add up quick. I always count all our change before we take it to commerce and it has never been under when counting our change out.

13. Tiffany

Tiffany <font color=orange>The Tag Fairy wants no one to f

We actually enjoy rolling our coin. We will just set aside a lazy Sunday and enjoy. Those coin machines take to much of a percentage.

14. ameraumi

ameraumi DIS Veteran

Check with the "main" branch of your bank and see if they have a change machine that they will use for customers. I worked for a large bank and the "main" branch in town housed the change machine. We offered the service free of charge for customers with an 3% for those without. Our credit union also has one so we have been taking it there.

15. nowellsl

nowellsl <font color=purple>my car finds out everytime I ha

Check with your bank first! My credit union won't take rolled change. They make you take it out of the rolls. They don't charge anything to put it through their change machine if it's under $200.00. If it is over they charge about 3%. I usually take mine in when it gets to be about $100.00 - then I transfer it to my ING account (gotta love that interest).

16. disneysnowflake

disneysnowflake DIS Veteran

My bank won't allow more than $20 in rolled change per day. It must be rolled. You have to put your account number on it. If you miscount and are missing a coin they'll deduct it from your account. Then you can't bring in change for a certain period of time as a penalty for miscounting.

There is only 1 bank in my town that has a change counter for people to use, but you have to be a bank customer. There aren't any free banking features at this bank. The cheapest bank fee is $7 a month if you keep your checking over $1000 at all times.

I have a cookie jar with ziploc baggies in it. I have one for quarters, 1 for dimes, 1 for nickels and 1 for pennies. Each baggie has a paper in it to keep track of change. If I had 3 dimes I add it. Once it gets to $5 I roll it. Same with the 50 cents for pennies, $2 for nickels and $10 for quarters.

Many, many people use the coinstar machine at our local grocery store. Someone is using the machine almost every time I'm at the grocery store. I've never used it.

17. southtown

southtown Mouseketeer

I have noticed on the Coinstar machines in my store that you can put your change on a Amazon gift card or something like that there is no fee. I was thinking of doing this kinda like a Christmas club. I know I would have a few hundred bucks worth of change,and it would take some of the sting of the cost of the Christmas season.

18. StitchandPooh'sMom

StitchandPooh'sMom <font color=magenta>Now if only I could think of s

We have a bank in town that will count coins for free, even if you are not a customer. If you don't have that, at least roll the quarters and maybe the dimes, then put the pennies and nickels in the coin counter. You will have rolled a large percentage of your money and the percentage taken from the nickels and pennies won't amount to that much.

19. momto2inKC

momto2inKC DIS Veteran

Our bank does not have change counting machines. They will only take change if it is already rolled. They said they can take loose change, but will charge you to do so. The grocery store has a Coin Star machine and it takese 8% of your total to use it.
    About once a month we sit down and count/roll the change.

20. DisneyBill

DisneyBill <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Lisa,
    We bank at Chase also, and they will count your coins for free and deposit them in to your account (at least in Louisville they do) They give us a bag for the coins, and ask that we place two blank deposit slips inside with the coins. They send them once a week to their downtown branch that processes them. Deposit usually hits the account in about five days from the branch's scheduled day for transport.

HTH.

21. Kimkimba

Kimkimba Miracles happen to those who believe - I believe,

Commerce is great! They have extended hours, and don't charge anyone to use their coin counting machine; we use it several times a year.